AP Report: Bills Will Release Mario After the Season

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it probably wasn't the team or organization leaking this. it was shirley Marios camp.

in leaking this it takes the Bills power plays in trading him or sending him to the highest bidder away. though, the bills could tell him find a trading partner, work out a deal and they'll trade him.

Makes perfect sense, actually.

Even if we act like this year never happened with the Rex scheme drama, I don't think it took crack investigative journalism to conclude Mario would be gone at his price.

I was excited when we signed him but IMO he has not been the Bruce Smith like monster I was hoping we were getting.

It started the first game here when he whined that the Jets O linemen was playing dirty. I said to myself "here we go".

Then the wedding ring drama which was hilarious and highlighted his lack of maturity.

He's had some nice moments, and long stretches of invisibility. They are better off spending his money elsewhere.

If you read the thread, it seems that many here that the leak source isn't the team but the player's agent. Which makes sense.

i am caught up on many aspects of this story.

you're a sensible man, as well as a few others here... but i find it interesting that there are at least 3 sources speaking about mario williams and only mario williams. there is one source, preston brown, speaking about rex ryan indirectly.

i can't focus my head around what is going on and it reminds me far too much of what happened in new jersey.

---

Mario's camp leaks the Bills are going to cut him. this information takes away the bills leverage with other teams to deal him and makes the bills look foolish if they keep him beyond January. as it is, his cap number is much less ($7mm less) for June 1st. Fearing the bills hold on to him, try to work with him, maybe the bills have quietly approached earlier in the season to renegotiate?... anyway, if the bills had planned on keeping him to see how he comes to OTA's and other practices - to hold on to him until june 1st... in case? maybe a draft deal? ... now the bills can't do it

it makes no sense for the bills to be the source. no sense whatsoever. this is not a front office trying to appease the fans. they know we've been frustrated long enough another decade won't do much to our mentality (just our liver). if it was from some underling than that is different but i do not know if JW would have run with it. this is speculation.

if it was from the bills it was from camp Rex. it was from camp rex because he did this in New Jersey, it has widely been reported. he used the media to make decisions he could not. its why the media loved him, they got great stories and fodder.

however, the team has issued statements about the mario issue in directly coming out and saying rex is staying. after so many players came out speaking frustration the counter to mario's release story is pegula's keeping rex. the timing was just too coincidental.

than there is the other players leaking information. none of them are that close to rex, except IK, who was not even that close. could rex have used him as a mule? possibly... but it was obviously a reasonable team player and someone who is accredited with substance to add ... graham? carrington? etc.

Edited by Boyst62

You give a professional athlete, who makes 10plus million dollars a year, a pass for not trying? I wish I worked for you. You'd fire my boss and excuse my lack of production. Hell, you'd probably give me a raise too

In this case yes. The actuarial fact is that Mario lived up to his contract until this season. You see, if I'm the boss and I see an employee who has performed at a high level for so long then falls off a cliff my first question is to myself. What did I do that caused the employee to suddenly start performing at a lower level? The evidence points towards a failure of management and not the employee. Your comment, on the face of it makes it seem like you're really on to something but, as you can see, it's easily dismantled when you look at the big picture. So, no, I wouldn't give you a raise. But I would give you the benefit of a doubt and work with you to find out why your performance dropped so much after three highly productive years.

@JeffRussoWKBW

Associated Press via .@john_wawrow reporting #Bills plan to cut DE Mario Williams this off-season #Buffalo

At his price, Mario should have been willing to do whatever the Bills asked of him. His attitude all season long has been bush league.

I'm bugged that Rex wasn't a good enough leader to get the most out of Mario.

But I'm also bugged by Mario's crappy attitude. Men should be men, not puppets. A man acts with integrity and takes care of his business regardless of what's going on around him. A puppet lets other people pull the strings and determine his mood, attitude, effort, and everything else. Mario doesn't like the new scheme so he's become a different person & player. He gives less effort and has become a worse teammate. That's being a puppet - he's letting the coaches determine his attitude instead of owning it. A man would have motored on, despite disagreement over his new role.

In this case yes. The actuarial fact is that Mario lived up to his contract until this season. You see, if I'm the boss and I see an employee who has performed at a high level for so long then falls off a cliff my first question is to myself. What did I do that caused the employee to suddenly start performing at a lower level? The evidence points towards a failure of management and not the employee. Your comment, on the face of it makes it seem like you're really on to something but, as you can see, it's easily dismantled when you look at the big picture. So, no, I wouldn't give you a raise. But I would give you the benefit of a doubt and work with you to find out why your performance dropped so much after three highly productive years.

I want players on my team that don't want to let their teammates down. Mario is being selfish and not a team player. I don't care what the scheme and coaching is, you don't screw over your teammates like he has. Bye Mario.

Edited by BlueFire

I really wonder who the anonymous Ty Dunne source is.

Lack of effort can never be excused.

Rex's scheme is co-dependent on group success. I wouldn't be surprised if a lack of DL production is because the stunts and blitzes aren't being executed properly. Brown has moved positions, which can result in declined play but there is no excuse for his poor angles and missed tackles. Bradham will walk, he did not show up this season. I want to see more players with the effort of Hughes to execute Rex's defense. There are huge problems, but any company or business that relies on teamwork becomes difficult to succeed when a link in the chain is broken.

Rex's scheme stinks. He was handed a very good defense and because he believes his own BS he screwed it up. Your excuse is Williams quit, Brown was out of position and Bradham didn't show up. After the year they had last year what changed that could have caused this?

I want players on my team that don't want to let their teammates down. Mario is being selfish and not a team player. I don't care what the scheme and coaching is, you don't screw over your teammates like he has. Bye Mario.

OK. So you're just repeating what Always Billeve said and nothing more. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I find it short sighted and missing the big picture. Just cut and paste my last post for my response to yours.

No I'm putting things into context that Schwartz lucked out to have the perfect players last year to run his scheme. His scheme would have been a near disaster this year.

Rex's fault was to be too optimistic about the roster and how they would handle the change.

Are you saying Searcy and Wynn were the keys to Schwartz's success?

it probably wasn't the team or organization leaking this. it was shirley Marios camp.

I don't buy this, Boyst. If it was Schefter or Lacanfora or someone like that, maybe so

But this was Wawrow. He's credible (to me) reporting this kind of news because he knows his stuff. I don't believe he would mistake something coming out of a player's camp for an anonymous source.

Maybe, and it's certainly something the next level of management ought to look at, but maybe it's the employee. People do change and for whatever reason, star employees sometimes drop off a cliff and bottom-dwellers turn it around.

I'm bugged that Rex wasn't a good enough leader to get the most out of Mario.

But I'm also bugged by Mario's crappy attitude. Men should be men, not puppets. A man acts with integrity and takes care of his business regardless of what's going on around him. A puppet lets other people pull the strings and determine his mood, attitude, effort, and everything else.

Yep, this. Nobody looks good or is blame-free here. Rex looks incompetent as a defensive mastermind AND as a leader of men. Mario looks like a whiny baby jerk.

Edited by Hopeful

OK. So you're just repeating what Always Billeve said and nothing more. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I find it short sighted and missing the big picture. Just cut and paste my last post for my response to yours.

Mismanagement can absolutely cause players to be disgruntled but there's correct ways for a player or employee to handle it and there's wrong ways. Mario has chosen the latter and that's on him. It's obviously a failure all around but you're just blaming Rex and not taking into account the other side which I feel is short sighted.

Edited by BlueFire

Makes perfect sense, actually.

Doesn't, actually, because while some media shills will do anything for clicks and attention Wawrow has shown himself credible and would not mistake a player's agent or camp for an anonymous OBD FO source. I could be wrong but I'll stand to this until proven otherwise.

Edited by Hopeful

Mismanagement can absolutely cause players to be disgruntled but there's correct ways for a player or employee to handle it and there's wrong ways. Mario has chosen the latter and that's on him. It's obviously a failure all around but you're just blaming Rex and not taking into account the other side which I feel is short sighted.

I don't disagree but we have no evidence that Rex went to Mario and talked to him about his concerns like a good coach/boss should. We also have the undebatable fact that Mario did live up to his contract for three years before Rex took over and killed things. Now, if I was the boss, went to Mario and he would not listen to any reasonable attempts to address his concerns and he continued to not make the maximum effort his ass would be on the street. So no, I don't think I'm being shortsighted about Marios attitude and my approach to it given what we know (I.e. Rex is very likely a bad coach) Mario would get the benefit of a doubt. I do recognize that there is some chance I could be wrong and it was all on him. But, too me, all of the current evidence points towards Rex.

... I made this big because it's a big deal.

its telling about Rex Ryan.

Rex Ryan waits until the last game to bench a player?

telling.

Unless of course, the leak is correct about the Bills plans re Mario in which case benching him would be a FO directive to Rex because you can't cut an injured player.

I'm not saying it isn't on Rex if Mario is playing half-assed and Rex never had The Talk with him and eventually benched him, my point is it may not be Rex benching him now (if he's benched)

Because I thought it was a witty way of expressing "scoreboard." You know, wins and losses, not qualifiers and what ifs.

I also can't stand when folks point out the Nelson drop without referencing Gilmore's dropped pick-6 earlier in the game.

If we're playing the "yeah, but" game, then those two plays are a wash.

I don't disagree but we have no evidence that Rex went to Mario and talked to him about his concerns like a good coach/boss should. We also have the undebatable fact that Mario did live up to his contract for three years before Rex took over and killed things. Now, if I was the boss, went to Mario and he would not listen to any reasonable attempts to address his concerns and he continued to not make the maximum effort his ass would be on the street. So no, I don't think I'm being shortsighted about Marios attitude and my approach to it given what we know (I.e. Rex is very likely a bad coach) Mario would get the benefit of a doubt. I do recognize that there is some chance I could be wrong and it was all on him. But, too me, all of the current evidence points towards Rex.

I think where we disagree then is I believe the game film of Mario just giving up on tons of plays this year proves Mario handled it the wrong way.