AP Report: Bills Will Release Mario After the Season

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a strange thread. Are people really that surprised about cutting MW? Cap space, complaining, and scheme fit moving forward kind of dictated this outcome. If you want to resign Glenn, Gilmore, and Incognito, this is the type of move you make. Mario will find a home playing in a 4-3 somewhere else.

The benefit of 15-20 sacks doesn't come close to outweighing the drawback of keeping a player who had no problem quitting on his teammates, coaches, and fans.

The "why" he quit is simply not relevant.

It will be interesting to see how other teams approach him.

GO BILLS!!!

I know exactly how they will approach him, mostly likely with open arms as they trip over themselves laughing at how the bills would just let him go because Rex Ryan didn't know how to use him properly.

But hey, the Bills don't want to look like an inept organisation letting the great Rex Ryan go after a catastrophic failure of a season.

@JeffRussoWKBW

Associated Press via .@john_wawrow reporting #Bills plan to cut DE Mario Williams this off-season #Buffalo

At his price, Mario should have been willing to do whatever the Bills asked of him. His attitude all season long has been bush league.

Pretty much. Entitled SOB. But at the same time, it's a point that the coaching staff has to be willing and able to get him on board.

This is a strange thread. Are people really that surprised about cutting MW? Cap space, complaining, and scheme fit moving forward kind of dictated this outcome. If you want to resign Glenn, Gilmore, and Incognito, this is the type of move you make. Mario will find a home playing in a 4-3 somewhere else.

Did you actually read it?

I know exactly how they will approach him, mostly likely with open arms as they trip over themselves laughing at how the bills would just let him go because Rex Ryan didn't know how to use him properly.

But hey, the Bills don't want to look like an inept organisation letting the great Rex Ryan go after a catastrophic failure of a season.

We'll see. Film doesn't lie and any team will be acquiring a head case with a record of quitting.

Not sure how anyone can suggest it's a question of the Bills not wanting to look inept. I know it's hard to wrap your head around, but a player's disgruntlement with his head coach is simply no justification for quitting on his teammates, coaches, and fans in such obvious fashion. As I said previously, he quit when there were plays to be made, before the season and playoffs were lost and there is no telling how those plays might have impacted a play, a series, or a game that might have made a difference.

And it's really a tough sell when the guy next to him is busting his ass trying to achieve a result Mario no longer cares to share in. I can't remember anything quite like it.

We can certainly do better than Rex at HC.

I guarantee we can't do worse than a player that simply doesn't give a crap about his teammates.

GO BILLS!!!

Except that the anonymous bad-mouther said that Kyle Williams was the only one who could have said anything to Mario and didn't because he thought there was no use

I would expect the anonymous person is a DLman who is watching the DLman's film cutup in DL meetings, knows exactly what Mario's assignment is supposed to be, and is in prime position to assess whether or not he's going full throttle.

We have @ DE:
Lavar Edwards - too young/new
Hughes - he has the attitude, but i doubt he'd say anything
Lawson - wouldn't say anything
DT:
Barnes - too young.
Bryant - my other thought.
Dareus - no way
Worthy - too new
LB's
Bradham - I could see it, as he has to be frustrated at what is going on.
Brown - no.
Enemkpali - Rex's boy might be homering.
Reddick - who?
Tarpley - no
Valles - who?
DBs
Only ones I think??
Meeks
Rambo
D.Williams
Injured:
Wynn - I do not know if he is connected enough with Buffalo, or would have room to say anything right now with a finger on the pulse of the team.
Carrington - my bet. Been in Buffalo a while, knows enough people here, has shown a bit of an attitude before.
KWilliams - hell no
Its definitely Garrison Sanborn.

If the Bills are indeed planning to cut Mario Williams, they better sit his a** on Sunday. You can't cut a player who is injured before the last game of the season.

i've been wondering this, too.

We'll see. Film doesn't lie and any team will be acquiring a head case with a record of quitting.

Not sure how anyone can suggest it's a question of the Bills not wanting to look inept. I know it's hard to wrap your head around, but a player's disgruntlement with his head coach is simply no justification for quitting on his teammates, coaches, and fans in such obvious fashion. As I said previously, he quit when there were plays to be made, before the season and playoffs were lost and there is no telling how those plays might have impacted a play, a series, or a game that might have made a difference.

And it's really a tough sell when the guy next to him is busting his ass trying to achieve a result Mario no longer cares to share in. I can't remember anything quite like it.

We can certainly do better than Rex at HC.

I guarantee we can't do worse than a player that simply doesn't give a crap about his teammates.

GO BILLS!!!

film doesn't lie when you know the play call

too many of the plays i watched mario it was clear his responsibility was to simply hold the edge. after we kept getting burned by quick offenses and dumps all over the field by the qb, rex seemly changed his defense to have mario or hughes anchor their side when it was the strong side.

when it was the weak side he seemed to have them play the edge

it was very strange and i have not seen such play design - if i understood it correctly - since high school.

they will, and there are a great number of teams ready.

Except that the anonymous bad-mouther said that Kyle Williams was the only one who could have said anything to Mario and didn't because he thought there was no use

I would expect the anonymous person is a DLman who is watching the DLman's film cutup in DL meetings, knows exactly what Mario's assignment is supposed to be, and is in prime position to assess whether or not he's going full throttle.

I just read the quote in here, didn't see that. Never mind.

Film doesn't lie when you do know the play call, too.

There was a thread after the Washington game that linked to a Football Outsiders article with gifs to support their assertion that Mario was dogging it. The first gif was of a running play that he could not have played any better; set his corner and turned the play into the pursuit that was slow in getting there. Great play by Mario and pretty easy to ascertain what his keys were pre-snap.

The other gifs were damning. As were the All-22 views of every game the last several weeks. He simply chose to disengage. On third and long with an empty backfield, one doesn't need to know the play call to determine what his keys were and that he needed to get up field and apply pressure.

I wasn't surprised by the comments revealed by his teammates alluding to taking "two steps and then stopping." We were saying the exact same thing weeks ago. I'm pretty sure his teammates knew the exact play calls, too.

The defense of this quitter is amazing around here.

GO BILLS!!!

There was a thread after the Washington game that linked to a Football Outsiders article with gifs to support their assertion that Mario was dogging it. The first gif was of a running play that he could not have played any better; set his corner and turned the play into the pursuit that was slow in getting there. Great play by Mario and pretty easy to ascertain what his keys were pre-snap.

The other gifs were damning. As were the All-22 views of every game the last several weeks. He simply chose to disengage. On third and long with an empty backfield, one doesn't need to know the play call to determine what his keys were and that he needed to get up field and apply pressure.

I wasn't surprised by the comments revealed by his teammates alluding to taking "two steps and then stopping." We were saying the exact same thing weeks ago. I'm pretty sure his teammates knew the exact play calls, too.

GO BILLS!!!

Or they set him up knowing it would be easier to cut him at seasons end.

too many of the plays i watched mario it was clear his responsibility was to simply hold the edge. after we kept getting burned by quick offenses and dumps all over the field by the qb, rex seemly changed his defense to have mario or hughes anchor their side when it was the strong side.

when it was the weak side he seemed to have them play the edge

it was very strange and i have not seen such play design - if i understood it correctly - since high school.

they will, and there are a great number of teams ready.

I'm no expert and I am genuinely curious to know how this explains the differential in stats between him and the rest of the line? He is being used to set the edge exclusively and never make a tackle?

Edited by What a Tuel

I'm no expert and I am genuinely curious to know how this explains the differential in stats between him and the rest of the line? He is being used to set the edge exclusively and never make a tackle?

i will do further study but have looked at it before. his tackles are less than half of what he had last year; most of the DL has had the same numbers for tackles. Everyone is a fraction of their sacks, pass deflections and tackles for loss. Mario, himself, had 7 tackles for losses last year and 0 this year.

2 things to keep in mind before i delve in to this with stats.

1) mario would disapear for weeks at a time last year and his effort was and always has been questioned.

2) mario playing poorly or not we're still tops in the league in run defense, so something is working to stop them even if mario is not.

but my biggest take is if rex is to be this great coach and has any pulse of the team as such, why hasn't he pulled mario?!

I can't see Kyle jumping into this. he is too much of a team player, Probably he voices his opinion with teamates. i just don't see

Him stirring the pot. Not his style and those paychecks are still pretty nice size. i could see Kyle someday being a candidate for the stadium wall.

Agreed. Not his style, if he has something to say he would say it to a guy's face not to a reporter and not anonymously.

I think there is also a kind of understanding, that injured players (or inactives) don't call out their teammates. It's one thing to call a guy out if you're standing next to him taking blows and blocks and fighting your own battles. It's another to call him out if you're standing on the sidelines in street clothes.

GO BILLS!!!

Football Outsiders is a joke. I have said it before and others have said it before. A lot of those sites use everyday Joes who know nothing about football to critique plays and judge what happens.

They show you glimpses of plays based on speculation and not the whole viewpoint. keying in on any one specific instance can come across any which way. i am not defending mario and i am not even saying he has taken plays off. he has, every player has. it's evident he and others are frustrated.

lets hope him being a scapegoat does something, but i would like to go ahead and make sure its known we will never win with Rex. we'll have cute pressers, we'll have fun games, we'll win some good games but we won't win the super bowl. as a coach he will be out classed and out coached.

he's a baffoon.

Not one time did this occur.

Not trolling, but...

Jay Skurski @JaySkurski 27 Dec 2015

Mario Williams wasn't just in coverage there, he was LINED UP ON A WIDE RECEIVER!

Jay Skurski @JaySkurski 27 Dec 2015

Jay Skurski Retweeted James W. Banko

Here is a screen shot of Mario lined up on a wide receiver.

https://twitter.com/Bankojw/status/681212873952096256

here is some damming evidence against Mario, ouch!

"One other teammate, who wished to remain anonymous, ramped it up a notch in saying Williams checked out a long time ago, back to not wanting to take part in the conditioning test before training camp.

“It’s been clear to me that Mario doesn’t care about anybody but himself,” the teammate said. “He followed that up by not giving any effort during the season and complaining about the scheme instead of manning up and saying he played like crap and doesn’t care.”

Has Williams checked out? “Totally checked out.”

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/31/marios-swan-song-with-bills-is-near/