Deactivate Mario??

Schwartz runs a scheme that relies entirely on the guys up front. Without elite talent there, the scheme gets exposed. In 2014 his defense had a freakishly good bill of health. This is not an opinion, this is relative to all other teams, spanning many many years. I'm tired of "all teams deal with injuries." That's a non-response. The Bills did NOT deal with injuries last year on defense and some get hit harder than others, like the Bills have this year.

You said his scheme was flawed because the players were healthy. Do you withdraw that comment? What I think you are trying to say is we don't know how Schwartz's scheme would have coped with the injuries we have had this year - which is a fair question - but that doesn't make his scheme flawed.

Worth saying on that score that the production Schwartz got out of his 2nd string D-Line last year (8 sacks) is not that far from the 12 sacks Rex has managed to get from the first 4 plus Bryant (who has been a starter much of the year) this time around.

Yea.... I know which scheme is flawed alright.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try and make a simple point. These guys are the world's best football players. They get paid really good money to play football. Do you think the next man up behind Mario isn't foaming at the mouth to jump ahead of him to get on the field? Mario was an all pro. He was very good at his position. Probably the best contain end in football. What he is doing being a whiny crybaby because the scheme doesn't suit his Primary Donna ass doesn't give him the right to quit on his teammates who rely in him to do his job. Not to mention he gets 20 mil a year to do it. This is what Herm Edwards was freaking out about a few weeks back. THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU!!!! Mario. This guy just flat out quit on his team. He is a quitter. He should be released immediately. I loved the guy before this. But this is inexcusable behavior from a "leader" on this Defense. If you don't think this has a trickle down effect on the rest of the team your not watching the games. He is Pathetic.

a leader without followers is just a guy out taking a walk.

That's how I see him right now.

a leader without followers is just a guy out taking a walk.

That's how I see him right now.

could we say the same thing about rex ryan, though?

i believe we could. maybe it's the end of the season, no post season reality but he's been on his own for at least 2 or 3 weeks.

Is it possible Rex's scheme and what he asks the players to do has a lot to do with all the injuries?

I have had that thought myself. Not so much the scheme per se, but the guys hesitating and not going full-throttle from every snap because they're thinking too much about what their assignment is. Playing soft in the NFL is the path to injury.

Although we can't rule out that the scheme itself (asking LB to cover acres of space, all the tackles the 2ndary is making, unaccustomed roles for big guys) has something to do with it

I just don't understand how Mario's skill dropped so much from last year to this. Is he injured? Purely a mental thing? And if he's playing so bad, why is he still playing?

With all this money in the bank, and at his age, he reached the "F-this" point in his career.

I'll try and make a simple point. These guys are the world's best football players. They get paid really good money to play football. Do you think the next man up behind Mario isn't foaming at the mouth to jump ahead of him to get on the field? Mario was an all pro. He was very good at his position. Probably the best contain end in football. What he is doing being a whiny crybaby because the scheme doesn't suit his Primary Donna ass doesn't give him the right to quit on his teammates who rely in him to do his job. Not to mention he gets 20 mil a year to do it. This is what Herm Edwards was freaking out about a few weeks back. THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU!!!! Mario. This guy just flat out quit on his team. He is a quitter. He should be released immediately. I loved the guy before this. But this is inexcusable behavior from a "leader" on this Defense. If you don't think this has a trickle down effect on the rest of the team your not watching the games. He is Pathetic.

Best post in the thread. Particularly as it relates to the infectious nature of a star player who quits.

People distracted by their dislike of Rex Ryan and his schemes and who choose to blame him for Mario's poor play are missing the bigger point about Mario.

MW is one of the best players in the league. Period. And Ryan's use of him has certainly contributed to his down year.

That does not explain or excuse the character flaw he revealed. He is a quitter and cannot be counted on to be there when the chips are down and his team needs him to make a difference.

Regardless of playing in a scheme he prefers.

GO BILLS!!!

That is horrible technique. He turned his body in to the play/pocket. It was awful. He has done it before. He got caught standing up. He has been caught before. But where is his LB? You know the one. Being blocked by the WR who is supposed to make the play?

People watching this and say its all on Mario don't know football. Yes, you don't know football. McBride, you, too. Go back to praising Jauron.

That's Mario usving bad form but still playing good enough he should have made the play. That is even more on the OLb. Looks like 53. Bradham. Bradham swallowed by a WR. Unable to disengage. Unable to simply beat a 1:1 matchup.

Why is he there?

and this (embedded within the Sal tweet in case people missed it): https://twitter.com/RQUINN619/status/682219180146307072

twitter. The site posting stats without meat

I'd have to see the plays again. But as mentioned about. This is scheme.

That is horrible technique. He turned his body in to the play/pocket. It was awful. He has done it before. He got caught standing up. He has been caught before. But where is his LB? You know the one. Being blocked by the WR who is supposed to make the play?

People watching this and say its all on Mario don't know football. Yes, you don't know football. McBride, you, too. Go back to praising Jauron.

That's Mario usving bad form but still playing good enough he should have made the play. That is even more on the OLb. Looks like 53. Bradham. Bradham swallowed by a WR. Unable to disengage. Unable to simply beat a 1:1 matchup.

Why is he there?

:lol:

Even if you think there's nothing else Mario could have done on this play because of "scheme," you said so yourself, it's on the OLB who can't escape a block...from WR. Is that scheme? Or is it, as many of us have been harping on for months, ****ty linebackers?

:lol:

Even if you think there's nothing else Mario could have done on this play because of "scheme," you said so yourself, it's on the OLB who can't escape a block...from WR. Is that scheme? Or is it, as many of us have been harping on for months, ****ty linebackers?

if you have linebackers that have succeeded in a different format / linebackers completely getting their ass kicked in a scheme that is not working and you keep running that scheme....common man!

You said you have never seen anyone do more with less than jauron?

Might you also say you have you've never seen someone do less with more = Ryan?

Mario should have made the play. Bradham, though, is the players who truly failed on this play.

if you have linebackers that have succeeded in a different format / linebackers completely getting their ass kicked in a scheme that is not working and you keep running that scheme....common man!

You said you have never seen anyone do more with less than jauron?

Might you also say you have you've never seen someone do less with more = Ryan?

Mario should have made the play. Bradham, though, is the players who truly failed on this play.

These LBs succeeded in a different alignment. If Ryan was to return to last years defense, who would man the middle?

Why is he there?

??? :blink:

Do you think insults actually work as a debating strategy?

Edited by dave mcbride

These LBs succeeded in a different alignment. If Ryan was to return to last years defense, who would man the middle?

brown ideally would be in the middle, but based on my judgement these LB's are better in a 34 lineup. Powell as will, bring in a Mike, Bradham as Sam. Brown as jack. Bradham and Brown can change positions.

Either way I don't see Ryan putting these lbs in a position to succeed. Not without changing his dl philosophy

??? :blink:

Do you think insults actually work as a debating strategy?

tbc bringing in jauron in to this. ... Confusing. You two continuously bashing Mario blindly excusing Ryan is boggling

brown ideally would be in the middle, but based on my judgement these LB's are better in a 34 lineup. Powell as will, bring in a Mike, Bradham as Sam. Brown as jack. Bradham and Brown can change positions.

Either way I don't see Ryan putting these lbs in a position to succeed. Not without changing his dl philosophy

tbc bringing in jauron in to this. ... Confusing. You two continuously bashing Mario blindly excusing Ryan is boggling

Brown was undoubtedly better as the WLB last year and you propose an interesting idea. But in this scenario idt Bradham is the guy you want at Sam. They really could use two ILBs

What have I ever said about Jauron?

I am a critic of Ryan. I don't think he's a good head coach. But I also don't think he's THE WORST COACH EVER!!, which seems to be the new mantra among many Bills fans (note that I'm not saying this about you). I think the world isn't black and white. Ryan has some assets: his defense usually works, and until this season his players played hard for him and didn't quit (and I think that Williams is an anomaly on the Bills; the rest of the team is playing hard). He has some major flaws too, of course--so obvious it's not worth listing them.

Going forward, the Bills have a very good OC, and if they get a couple of elite replacements on defense and get lucky with health next year, they should be OK.

For those on Twitter, it is hard to copy and paste it but there was a back and forth between Rob Quinn who is throwing up a lot of Mario vines and stats, and Thurman Thomas started replying. The gist is that Thurman insinuating there is much more going on behind the scenes with Mario than anyone knows.