A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the reason for this is because the Bills just beat a bad 4-11 Dallas Clownboy team with Kellen Moore at QB. If Dallas had been able to score more points it might not have even been a win.

it is difficult to believe this same franchise led the league in sacks last year and was #2 in 2013.

Buffalo Bills fans deserve better than this 7-8 mess. Meanwhile, Rex Ryan's 4-12 team from last year just beat the New England Patriots 26-20 with Noodle arm Fitz, Chan Gailey as OC and are now 10-5. :cry:

Definitely agree with your 2nd point. We are further away from where we want to be this December than last Dec. Thanks Rex.

So this may be sacrilege, and it's certainly premature, but I'll say it: Gilleslee reminds me of Fred Jackson. His running style is nearly identical to Fred's - always falling forward, great balance and vision, deceptive speed. This kid is a keeper.

His first run from scrimmage four games ago, my buddy and I nearly fell out of our bar stools because how of similar he looked to Fred.

Definitely agree with your 2nd point. We are further away from where we want to be this December than last Dec. Thanks Rex.

Cassell and now Moore are so useless that you wonder whether Dallas actually could've got back into it with Weeden. Didn't Weeden beat us a couple years ago? He really is as bad as the other options ....

5) The Bills netted 236 yds on the ground today. OK, Tyrod DID run for 67 yards. Still, Gillislee had 93 yds. and Karlos ran for 76. Those two also combined for 4 catches for 37 yards. Having a big, physical back made quite the difference. They didn't seem to miss Shady all that much. Just sayin.....

I'd rather have McCoy & Williams in the backfield. The running game was great when they were both healthy.

I'm not saying I don't like Gillislee, on the contrary, I think the Bills should keep him.

His first run from scrimmage four games ago, my buddy and I nearly fell out of our bar stools because how of similar he looked to Fred.

To me, it was today, when he reached for that swing pass, extended himself, and then effortlessly made a defender miss on the way to a near-TD. I've seen Fred make that same exact play, with the same exact form and motion, so many times...

I saw this but remember, there was no pass rush. The Bills (Rex) could have easily lost this game. I am not saying that McKelvin is Mel Blount but he did his job pretty well today.

Fair enough. Mario's effort was again pathetic. Hughes often keeps hustling after a play moves away from him; mario doesn't at all. I thought he'd try today simply to showcase his talents for the FA market. I was mistaken. The bizarre thing is that he plays almost every play. I'm starting to wonder whether the coaches are putting him out there because they know he's desperately trying to avoid injury. That's a perverse thought, but his performance is bad enough that you start to think crazy thoughts. I mean, they see what we see, and he's not an asset out there who is helping the team win. Why play him?

Edited by dave mcbride

2) Corbin Bryant played well today, even though he was frequently used in pass coverage.

7) Folks, I am sad to report that I cannot any longer defend Mario Williams. He looks weak and appears to be not trying at all. Believe me, it hurts to say this. He was a great player and I have a ton of respect for what he does off the field.

9) People should stop posting that the Bills DL only goes into coverage "about 5% of the time." That is simply not true. They are doing it constantly. It is pitiful to watch.

12) No quarterback sacks today and not much pressure either. Sometimes it is hard to believe what I am watching.

A lot of bandwidth has been wasted debating the DL play and the issue of them dropping back in coverage. So just for kicks I've watched a few 2014 All-22s. And yeah, there's a striking difference. For starters, there's a #51 on defense who's a rock in the middle which hides alot of mistakes that #52 and #53 tended to make, a lot.

There's also the effort thingie. Amazing to watch a #94 take on double teams or push his blocker back into the pocket. Same for #99.

Everyone jumped on Mario's comments after this year's Bengals game that he was asked to drop into coverage. Well, I watched that game again, too. Mario wasn't asked to cover anyone until Bengals burned the defense for a 26 yard swing pass where Brown was woefully late in covering, or was it Mario's responsibility to peel off? Don't know, but that was a major breakdown by the D.

On the next few plays where Mario dropped back, he actually baited Dalton into an incompletion. So the play worked.

But another difference is that opposing QBs are not dropping back as deep or holding the ball as long as they did last year.

So it's easy to say that the scheme is to blame. But also don't ignore how big of a role Spikes played last year, and how a few players have decided to take some time off because this scheme won't pad their numbers.

Rarely would I root for the bills to lose. But today I was hoping we would get steamrolled. I'm afraid that winning today helped Rex retain his job and big personnel moves are going to happen now. I believe the fallout could be comparable to Philly. That system is only used by chip Kelly and this system is only used by Rex. So when Rex is eventually fired in a year or two, we will have a very particular roster of players who can't play a 4-3. Rex is gonna stay with the bills and ultimately we will feel the effects for the next 5 years at least

Bingo! Exactly.

Edited by cale

A lot of bandwidth has been wasted debating the DL play and the issue of them dropping back in coverage. So just for kicks I've watched a few 2014 All-22s. And yeah, there's a striking difference. For starters, there's a #51 on defense who's a rock in the middle which hides alot of mistakes that #52 and #53 tended to make, a lot.

There's also the effort thingie. Amazing to watch a #94 take on double teams or push his blocker back into the pocket. Same for #99.

Everyone jumped on Mario's comments after this year's Bengals game that he was asked to drop into coverage. Well, I watched that game again, too. Mario wasn't asked to cover anyone until Bengals burned the defense for a 26 yard swing pass where Brown was woefully late in covering, or was it Mario's responsibility to peel off? Don't know, but that was a major breakdown by the D.

On the next few plays where Mario dropped back, he actually baited Dalton into an incompletion. So the play worked.

But another difference is that opposing QBs are not dropping back as deep or holding the ball as long as they did last year.

So it's easy to say that the scheme is to blame. But also don't ignore how big of a role Spikes played last year, and how a few players have decided to take some time off because this scheme won't pad their numbers.

Again, facts. Thanks.

Rarely would I root for the bills to lose. But today I was hoping we would get steamrolled. I'm afraid that winning today helped Rex retain his job and big personnel moves are going to happen now. I believe the fallout could be comparable to Philly. That system is only used by chip Kelly and this system is only used by Rex. So when Rex is eventually fired in a year or two, we will have a very particular roster of players who can't play a 4-3. Rex is gonna stay with the bills and ultimately we will feel the effects for the next 5 years at least

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the Rex situation this way. Because of the personnel changes required to effectively run his defense, we either dump him now or deal with him for at least two more years. Personally, I'm on the "dump him now" side of things. Not because of the results, bad as they may be. I see a defense that is unprepared, a frustrated, fractured locker room, an offense that can play with a lead but that cannot move quickly enough to play catch up and that grossly underutilizes its best player (Watkins), and a horribly undisciplined team. In fairness on the Watkins point, losing harvin hurt more than a lot of people realized at the time. Hogan is a drop machine, and woods is not a threat.