Polian Willing to Help Bills, But Doesn't Want Czar Role

26CornerBlitz

WOW. is that true? what a bad business move.

It was one source of friction, but there were myriad others. Per Levy, when Wilson told him he was going to fire Polian, Levy went to talk to him with a well-thought-out list of reasons he shouldn't.

Wilson listened, and then said "I agree with everything you say, Marv, but I just can't get along with him"

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, his questionable-at-best thoughts on the O-line don't make him look better than an average message board poster. It's a group that needs improvement, but not because of its advanced age. The right side is the problem, and the starters there (Henderson and Miller) have a combined three years' experience. Old man Incognito is terrific. So is Glenn, who's 26. Wood isn't great, but he's solid enough - and not even 30 yet.

Here I have to disagree with you. 3 of the Bills 4 best OL will be 30+ to start the next season. Put differently, there is only player currently on the OL who isn't a major project or bust who will be under 30 next season. His assessment on that was accurate and I feel I should give credit where it is due.

Of course, a broken clock is right twice a day.

I am getting a bit tired of all of this drama. Players speaking out, Polian giving his thoughts, and reports of friction between the coaches and the GM. The leaks are also out of control, and I would like to see some semblance of order restored. If it means a czar and/or a new GM, so be it. Let them figure out what to do about Rex and the coaching staff.

Here I have to disagree with you. 3 of the Bills 4 best OL will be 30+ to start the next season. Put differently, there is only player currently on the OL who isn't a major project or bust who will be under 30 next season. His assessment on that was accurate and I feel I should give credit where it is due.

Three of the starters are Glenn (LT), Miller (RG) and Henderson.(RT). Which of them is the good guy and which are the major projects/busts in your view?

Urbik is older but he is and should be regarded as the backup - he has the edge on pass protection vs rookie Miller but Miller is a better pulling guard for the run by far.

The story about Jim Leonhard is really telling. He is a player we knew was marginal but who hung on in NY for a while. Polian's story seems a bit too specific to be false.

I totally believe it. Leonhard played under Ryan or a Ryan disciple, Pettine, for almost all of his career from 2008-14.

Two are starters, Incognito and Wood (if Incognito sticks around), and neither is remotely a problem. Who's the third? Urbik? Having a 30-something depth player isn't an issue. Again, the two youngest starters on the line are the weakest links.

Edited by Omar Little

Three of the starters are Glenn (LT), Miller (RG) and Henderson.(RT). Which of them is the good guy and which are the major projects/busts in your view?

Urbik is older but he is and should be regarded as the backup - he has the edge on pass protection vs rookie Miller but Miller is a better pulling guard for the run by far.

Miller is a project, Henderson is a depth player. Urbik is better suited as a backup but is, at the moment, a better overall player than both. That's kind of the point. The young guys aren't good and the good guys aren't young.....or even that good.

Is he even a good scout?? That may be pushing it! The other name he'd like push is AJ Smith who I'd also want to keep as far away as possible.

That is my concern. That he would insist that Chris should be the "football csar." Chris is a good scout, he's not GM material, let alone csar material.

GO BILLS!!!

Exactly - the last thing we need is another level of management that may spin us into some other direction that NO ONE agrees with (even if the current direction doesn't appear to be working at the moment).

Loved the quote: “You can win with Tyrod if the other pieces are good,” Polian said. “If there are six or seven Pro Bowlers at other positions, you can win with Tyrod. But he’s not the quarterback of the future. He’s not Jim Kelly, and, although he doesn’t have the same track record, he’s probably comparable to Frank Reich. But he’s not 6-feet-4 like Frank Reich. He’s small and he’s going to get hurt, and he did."

Tyrod isn't Jim Kelly!? Nooooo. And please, who in the league current IS comparable to Jimbo? That's what I thought...

They most definitely can win with Tyrod. I don't think it requires 6 or 7 pro bowlers either; it would take a dominant offensive line. Tyrod, also, would need to continue to improve. I do agree that the Bills should still be drafting a QB to develop behind him. I don't think the offense was the main issue this season. This season was about the defense. And that is Rex. I would get rid of him because I don't trust his judgement; i.e. I don't think he is willing to change. He is too stubborn.

Edited by purple haze

Miller is a project, Henderson is a depth player. Urbik is better suited as a backup but is, at the moment, a better overall player than both. That's kind of the point. The young guys aren't good and the good guys aren't young.....or even that good.

Fair enough, but you seem to be making a case for disagreeing with Polian. The OL badly needs upgrade, but not because they're "aging and unathletic", rather because the two guys drafted 2 years ago as RTs don't seem to be panning out and the rookie didn't succeed in punching his ticket as a sure-fire 2016 starter.

The LT, LG and C are all legitimately good players. Not a single one of them is so old that it's problematic.

Polian should've just said the right side of the line is terrible and needs fixing. Then he'd have actually sounded clued in on this subject.

The LT, LG and C are all legitimately good players. Not a single one of them is so old that it's problematic.

Polian should've just said the right side of the line is terrible and needs fixing. Then he'd have actually sounded clued in on this subject.

But it wouldn't have had that consultant-like "sound bite" ring to it.