Mario Williams: "Bills' personnel doesn't fit Scheme"

Protocal69

I'm sorry but any professional NFL coach that attempts to force a scheme and system on a team with the incorrect personnel for the job should not be coaching in this league. Good coaches either build personnel over a year or two to fit and implement the scheme (which wasn't the case since Rex promised immediate results...surprise), or they shape the scheme to fit their current personnel. Even if this involves using a system different from what you've known. Pretty simple to see why our defense went from 4th to 19th or whatever it is this season - not calling for any heads just yet but a pretty piss poor way to start whatever tenure you have here in Buffalo, Rex...

This. I've been saying this all year. Good coaches understand the personnel that they have and build a system that plays to their strengths. Coaches that fail are always "System coaches", who insist on playing a certain system regardless of the personnel. It never works. Jurgen Klinsman is finding that out with the U.S. Men's National soccer team. Americans play a different style of soccer than Europeans, just as South Americans do. Klinsman has tried to force the U.S. team to play a style that is not complimentary to their skill set. Rex Ryan has come to Buffalo and done the exact same thing with the defense.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was certainly a worst case scenario for Bills fans.

Coach makes a terrible decision to impose his ill-fit scheme........refuses......or is incapable of changing to a more complimentary approach.......and star veteran player quits altogether in protest......even as shamed coach wriggles on the spike and his own free agent value declines.

Unless we find out Mario had a kidney removed or something like that before the season there is no excusing his performance.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that Mario is spouting off after he was accused of feigning the foot injury.

Cracks are appearing in the locker room, but the silver lining is that these last 5 games should show who wants to be in Buffalo and who wants to collect a paycheck. I take Talley's words to heart. If he saw a disjointed team in his brief visit, it must have been clearly obvious to everyone else who spends more time with this team.

My guess is that last year's team was an aberration where everything fell in place for the defense. I don't know if Schwartz would have been able to maintain the same ranking for the unit this year.

Regardless of scheme, Mario Williams got destroyed on his one on one matchups all year. Not one ounce of accountability from the worst DE in football in 2015.

All of Marios talk of him dropping back in coverage is like < 5% of snaps. The other 95% is him getting manhandled by whoever lines up against him from the opposing team.

This is exactly what I saw all season. Mario lost his heart. He quit on plays and, for a guy as massive as he is, looked like a 6 foot safety out there vs o linemen. I have applauded him in the past, but it is next to impossible not to feel like he is a big part of the problem and not the solution. He needs to be a leader bothon the field and offf and he has proven to be nothing more than a distraction and a whiny, overpaid shadow of the player we had in seasons past.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that Mario is spouting off after he was accused of feigning the foot injury.

Cracks are appearing in the locker room, but the silver lining is that these last 5 games should show who wants to be in Buffalo and who wants to collect a paycheck. I take Talley's words to heart. If he saw a disjointed team in his brief visit, it must have been clearly obvious to everyone else who spends more time with this team.

My guess is that last year's team was an aberration where everything fell in place for the defense. I don't know if Schwartz would have been able to maintain the same ranking for the unit this year.

What came first, the lack of the success or the broken locker room?

Mario is begging to be cut. he wants out.

I am sure MW knows the longer term financial repercussions of not playing up to his contract. Not trying to absolve MW of dogging it, but I think he is at a point where he feels he doesnt mind going elsewhere for less money if it means escaping the current mess.

Mario is begging to be cut. he wants out.

oh l agree. What I don't get is why he dogged it so much. Film don't lie. Other teams will all see that. Of course someone will sign him, but it may impact which team signs him and for how much. He knew he would be gone anyway if he didn't restructure. All he had to do was tell the Bills he didn't want to restructure instead of acting like this.

I am still in shock that this whole thing turned out this way........

We went from Not allowing Mario to leave town till we got him to sign a huge contract to him playing like a little girl so the bills would force him out......all the while having one of the best D lines in the league JUST LAST YEAR

I still blame Rex for this

What came first, the lack of the success or the broken locker room?

:thumbsup:

I think that's where I don't totally agree with GG's angle.

When 9 of 11 positions are regularly diminished by a scheme you are likely to get some players speaking out...........and there just might be a couple who don't think the scheme was so bad. :lol:

The profile of Manny Lawson and Corey Graham has risen considerably due to Rex........if Schwartz is back I bet Manny would have been gone and Graham would have been watching from the sidelines a lot like he was in 2014.

Mario needs to be quiet. he is making himself look worse by the second. I do not want him back. Maybe this is part of the reason things did not look good this year? Mario was being an insubordinate and undermining Rex? Shows total lack of professionalism on Mario's part, and a real disrespect for the Bills, who to my knowledge keep giving him a huge paycheck.

Mario has some serious issues he needs to work on. This is not the first time he has acted this way. i personally am done with him. You do not like it, ok we get it, but play hard and do not act so immature and unprofessional. Dogging it is never seen in a positive light by anyone in the NFl, even more so when you consider this is the second team he has done it too.

Good luck and get out of Buffalo.

p.s. no wonder you got dumped!

In typical Bills fashion we will dismantle this defense and bring in players who fit Rexs scheme and when complete will fire Rex. The only chance to turn this around is fire Rex now and bring in a coach to work with our D's strengths as they exist now.

:thumbsup:

I think that's where I don't totally agree with GG's angle.

When 9 of 11 positions are regularly diminished by a scheme you are likely to get some players speaking out...........and there just might be a couple who don't think the scheme was so bad. :lol:

The profile of Manny Lawson and Corey Graham has risen considerably due to Rex........if Schwartz is back I bet Manny would have been gone and Graham would have been watching from the sidelines a lot like he was in 2014.

Yep. I disagree with the assertion that the locker room would've broke if Schwartz was still the DC too. If we had 3-4 Pro Bowlers and the defense was ranked in the top 5, you'd find some happy campers on the defensive side of the ball, IMO.

Part that made me laugh:

"Williams spoke for 15 minutes at his locker in front of a large group of reporters. The crowd eventually included linebacker Manny Lawson and safety Aaron Williams, who craned their necks to hear.

Lawson eventually told Mario Williams to stop talking because it was time for them to work out."

Translation: "Shut up, Mario"

these two go back to NCSU, lest anyone forget their history. They also played only an hour away from each other in NC

I doubt anyone here realizes that Lawson was also quite a very accomplished track athlete in NC whilst Mario was good enough to make states for shot putt.

Marios trying to save himself some cash when he is kicked to the curb in the offseason.

B word about Scheme/Ryan so he has an excuse for why his production went down... And he has a point but it's getting ridiculous.

Rex needs to put this guy on the bench and keep him there these last two games. Set an example. Jesus.

Sounds like you are a "management is always right" type of guy so you probably vehemently disagree with my opinion that RR is the problem NOT the players and he should be the one benched as in "fired." Today.

This. I've been saying this all year. Good coaches understand the personnel that they have and build a system that plays to their strengths. Coaches that fail are always "System coaches", who insist on playing a certain system regardless of the personnel. It never works. Jurgen Klinsman is finding that out with the U.S. Men's National soccer team. Americans play a different style of soccer than Europeans, just as South Americans do. Klinsman has tried to force the U.S. team to play a style that is not complimentary to their skill set. Rex Ryan has come to Buffalo and done the exact same thing with the defense.

One of Belichick's characteristics is that he changes approaches based on the players he has at any time, and he not only makes significant adjustments at half time, he will do that at anytime during a game. In other words, he readily accepts that his game plan was flawed, and acts quickly to correct his "mistake." By contrast, and based on RR's pressers, he has yet to make a mistake in his career. It's always the GM, the lack of talent or intelligence of the players, the perfidy of the refs, injuries, or whatever. But it's never Rexie who's to blame and thus there is no reason for him to change one single thing. If the Pegs keep him around, look for upheaval in the front office, turmoil with the roster, and a decided lack of enthusiasm among FAs, but don't look for a single change in Rex's "philosophy." Edited by yungmack

One of Belichick's characteristics is that he changes approaches based on the players he has at any time, and he not only makes significant adjustments at half time, he will do that at anytime during a game. In other words, he readily accepts that his game plan was flawed, and acts quickly to correct his "mistake." By contrast, and based on RR's pressers, he has yet to make a mistake in his career. It's always the GM, the lack of talent or intelligence of the players, the perfidy of the refs, injuries, or whatever. But it's never Rexie who's to blame and thus there is no reason for him to change one single thing. If the Pegs keep him around, look for upheaval in the front office, turmoil with the roster, and a decided lack of enthusiasm among FAs, but don't look for a single change in Rex's "philosophy."

thanks, youngmuck! i had to look that one up.. never too old to learn :thumbsup:

.. and i agree that Rex's judgement of his defenses has always been skewed, which is why i'd like him to explain - in detail - what happened, to someone who can easily understand his explanation. someone, who can then form a credible opinion of their own on it's genuineness. Rex may be miles away from where he wants to get, but lacks the self-honesty to assess the journey.

edit - then again, he may be closer than we all think.. such a credible outside opinion would go a long way in helping the staff, front office, and ownership make solid plans for 2016.

Edited by BackInDaDay