"What's Up With Kiko Alonso?"

buffalonian

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also found it interesting that folks are questioning Alonso's ability to handle a complicated defensive scheme. He strikes me as a rather instinctual player. I imagine that he would have struggled in the Bills defensive scheme this year. This begs the question; are defensive coordinators over thinking things?

Another player where his talents have been neutered by the "elaborate" scheme.

In Philadelphia, they require more than the "See ball, get ball" that he did well here in Buffalo.

We all know you can't be "just" a good football player anymore. You have to be adaptable to this scheme or that one and be intelligent enough to learn responsibilities in it, not specific plays. This may generate criticism, but IMO, Alonso is a fantastic football player but he's not the most astute student of the game. He will be lost in a complicated playbook. I think that's what has happened in Philadelphia.

Edited by dpberr

In Philadelphia, they require more than the "See ball, get ball" that he did well here in Buffalo.

We all know you can't be "just" a good football player anymore. You have to be adaptable to this scheme or that one and be intelligent enough to learn responsibilities in it, not specific plays. This may generate criticism, but IMO, Alonso is a fantastic football player but he's not the most astute student of the game. He will be lost in a complicated playbook. I think that's what has happened in Philadelphia.

That's questionable

Would you like me to pick from Eagles games this year? Watch the Tampa game where they ran for almost 300 yds. Works both ways

Yeah he is not the best against the run, and that was apparent during his time here as well. He's an ideal Will. Great in pass coverage and a playmaker. But you can't coach that kind of ability.

He missed.

Ha! Hard to change direction in mid air when the running back moves to the side. Incredible athleticism and ability.

A defensive playbook? It's been widely reported that Chip Kelly is very "hands off" when it comes to defense. Basically let's the DC do his thing and stays out of his way. And I don't remember hearing anything about Billy Davis using any kind of complicated scheme. Don't they use 3-4?

Kiko was actually playing pretty well before his injury. Wouldn't be surprised to find out he's been playing through some pain after returning from injury too early. I remember reading some talk on the Eagles message board a couple of weeks ago about him possibly needing surgery after the season. Don't know if that was rumors or just fan speculation.

Edited by KDS73

How is a guy who weighs 242 lbs "small", lol

maybe 'not strong enough' would be a better way to describe him, but just looking at him, he appears 'small' for his listed size.

Yeah he is not the best against the run, and that was apparent during his time here as well. He's an ideal Will. Great in pass coverage and a playmaker. But you can't coach that kind of ability.

Ha! Hard to change direction in mid air when the running back moves to the side. Incredible athleticism and ability.

he would still be expected to tackle and handle blockers - he's not good at that wherever he lines up.