Twitter rumors about Bills new structure, fate of Rex/Whaley

YoloinOhio

I just want to see someone from the outside who has success in the nfl brought in at a high level, and build from the top down. Nobody there has a clue on how to win in the nfl and it shows on the field.

I agree.

It may be that restructuring the whole thing is proper at this point.

It seems as if there is little to no structure now, with some nice pieces(players) scattered about. When everything is destroyed, it's a perfect opportunity to start again. (I know, we've all heard that phrase WAY too many times!)

I know that it has been only one season, but I feel strongly that Rex isn't the answer. But then again, what do I know?

Let's see what unfolds.

And dream of better times.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats weird is this guy claims that someone is allowing him to post this with a few weeks left in season. Seems a little odd that the org would be leaking unless its already been out talking to new folks and figured sooner or later word will get out that Pegs and _____ are meeting on his yacht

interesting point. I mean, take it fwiw always when it's from Twitter. But he had the Rex hire first on Twitter (apparently - I wasn't following him at the time but according to others) and he had a ton of info on the Hughes negotiations which were pretty accurate.

whats weird is this guy claims that someone is allowing him to post this with a few weeks left in season. Seems a little odd that the org would be leaking unless its already been out talking to new folks and figured sooner or later word will get out that Pegs and _____ are meeting on his yacht

Rex isnt going anywhere...too early to pull the plug on a coach, too much money for this small market team to swallow. But don't be surprised if at least one of the assistants is gone...and surprisingly I'd rather have it be Roman. The defense I'm confident will get better in Rex's 2nd year after he's had a chance to fully adjust personnel...maybe not top 5, but at least top 10. Offense under Roman is crap....partly becuase he and rex think too much alike. Gymmicky wild cats with the backup QB, scramblely starter over pocket passer, run a featured back hard, etc. Last (only time) Rex had a good offense was with Brian schottenheimer as OC. His philosophy was a lot different than Rex's. Heck he even made Sanchez look decent.

Edited by JTSP

Countdown to "I hope it's Bill Cowher" in 3,2,1....

The chin was terrible. Ive said this many times on here. My friend is a Steelers fan and we used to watch the Bills and the Steelers every Sunday. The CHIN is a terrible coach.

If he comes here, enjoy more years of Crap!

The above is beyond dispute and there are now countless examples.

Someone said in another thread that Bills Fans tend to get behind and blindly support someone who doesn't completely suck. Well I have seen this many, many times and that is Whaley imo. He IS bad but he doesn't 100%, totally suck like Rex.

Either way, if they get rid if Whaley I will either not care or be slightly glad.

Again, jmo.

I assume the Whaley impulse control comments apply primarily to EJ and Sammy. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not sure why people don't come right out and say it.

I don't get the Sammy stuff at all. If someone in the know can point out how we could have given up less to get him then fine, let me know about that. Otherwise I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about the player who is quite obviously far and away the most talented player on this team with the possible exception of the older and more expensive McCoy and Mario. If we had moved up and taken Mack instead, then Mack would be the most talented player on the team. We weren't getting either of them without that move.

As for EJ....if you told me that we could have moved down again....meaning there was a willing trade partner at say pick #25-35, then fine. Otherwise, enough. We moved down once and added the pipsqueak LB. That is a guy that Whaley overvalued so I'll give everyone that. But usually people aren't talking about Kiko when criticizing Whaley.

Insert Donahoe into the equation and we have Tavon Austin instead of Sammy, no EJ or Alonso and God knows what. Austin is a decent player and has his uses but he is not in the same league with Watkins.

In FA moves I think there are some valid praises and criticisms of Whaley. More OL help would have been nice but it was rumored he did everything he could to get Bulaga. Hughes sure was a nice pickup and some other guys have contributed at times.

When Ryan took over the Jets he brought in Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard to help teach the players his defense in order to shorten the learning curve. Ryan took the Jets D from the bottom of the league to the top that year.

This season it was widely known that Ryan wanted to bring in David Harris and Dewan Landry most likely for the same role. A few days after the period to speak with FA opened Harris agreed to a deal with Jets, and the Bills kicked the tires with Landry but Whaley came across as if his price was too high.

Fast forward to today and the defense is a mess. I think Mario Williams said what alot of other players are thinking. While I feel Preston Brown is a good LB, he is young and I feel the job of leading this defense is over his head. There is too much confusion on the field because Brown himself is still learning Ryan's system.

Whaley didn't go hard after Harris because he was on the wrong side of 30 and he viewed Brown as an up and coming player, and treated Landry the same way due to the Bills depth at his position. I have a strong feeling this is a huge point of contention between Whaley and Ryan.

It wouldn't surprise me inside the walls of One Bills Drive that Ryan is furious at Whaley for not allowing him to bring in the players he needed to help the team "buy in" to his defense and be able to tutor the other players. I feel if Harris was leading the defense there wouldn't be the discontent that exists today. Also having Landry would help the secondary guys adapt.

For Ryan I'm sure the 3 year $21 million dollar deal for Harris would have been well worth it. He is having a great year in NY and would have made a world of difference if he was the voice in the huddle and in meeting rooms.

That's where I truly feel Whaley lost the battle in this one. For certain I would expect to see a few Ryan ex players come in next season to not only help others with his defense, but also have players on the team that "buy in". Cuz right now there aren't very many.

Edited by dezertbill

When Ryan took over the Jets he brought in Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard to help teach the players his defense in order to shorten the learning curve. Ryan took the Jets D from the bottom of the league to the top that year.

This season it was widely known that Ryan wanted to bring in David Harris and Dewan Landry most likely for the same role. A few days after the period to speak with FA opened Harris agreed to a deal with Jets, and the Bills kicked the tires with Landry but Whaley came across as if his price was too high.

Fast forward to today and the defense is a mess. I think Mario Williams said what alot of other players are thinking. While I feel Preston Brown is a good LB, he is young and I feel the job of leading this defense is over his head. There is too much confusion on the field because Brown himself is still learning Ryan's system.

Whaley didn't go hard after Harris because he was on the wrong side of 30 and he viewed Brown as an up and coming player, and treated Landry the same way due to the Bills depth at his position. I have a strong feeling this is a huge point of contention between Whaley and Ryan.

It wouldn't surprise me inside the walls of One Bills Drive that Ryan is furious at Whaley for not allowing him to bring in the players he needed to help the team "buy in" to his defense and be able to tutor the other players. I feel if Harris was leading the defense there wouldn't be the discontent that exists today. Also having Landry would help the secondary guys adapt.

For Ryan I'm sure the 3 year $21 million dollar deal for Harris would have been well worth it. He is having a great year in NY and would have made a world of difference if he was the voice in the huddle and in meeting rooms.

That's where I truly feel Whaley lost the battle in this one. For certain I would expect to see a few Ryan ex players come in next season to not only help others with his defense, but also have players on the team that "buy in". Cuz right now there aren't very many.

I agree that those are possible frustrations but I thought Harris signed with the Jets before FA had begun.

This guy Joe Chenelly has a source somewhere at OBD. He's had some info in the past. Fwiw:

@jchenelly: Current GM Doug Whaley will need to accept a lesser role w/ the #Bills if he is to remain with the team at all. There will be a new chief.

@Nagle_23: @jchenelly where you getting this info from

@jchenelly: @Nagle_23 Personal friend who is in the know and OK with me sharing, as has been the case for about a year.

@nickellion79: @MikeSilver @RaiderBounty @Na_Na_Nesci @JeremyWGR Mike any chance you think they realize they made a mistake with Rex?

@jchenelly: @nickellion79 Yes. But the person who will decide Rex Ryan's fate is not yet working for the team. #Bills

@nickellion79: @jchenelly Joe you are always well connected. What is going on at OBD right now?

@jchenelly: @nickellion79 A lot of disappointment. There may be some trigger-happy folks after today's game.

This news is intriguing. I'm just curious if the Pegula's will do what they did with the Sabres and bring back a former player [Lafontaine] and put that person (who is completely unqualified like Lafontaine) in that "Football Czar" position and make him sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement three months later when that person does not agree with player/personnel decisions? I like the Pegula's, but they are new to owning sports franchises and are making their share of mistakes. I feel with Rex, is that the Pegula's really liked Rex's personality a lot, and that what really won them over. It made absolutely no sense to hire a defensive coach when your team ranked #4 in defense, so they should have been looking for an offensive coach. There's the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I just feel that the Bills will be stuck with Rex for another two more years and we will continue to see more of the same style of football, extending the playoff drought to 18 years or more before this whole thing gets blown up again.

I agree that those are possible frustrations but I thought Harris signed with the Jets before FA had begun.

He signed four days before the official free agency signing period began, but players were allowed to talk with other teams before then. I can't imagine dialogue didn't take place between Harris Agent and Buffalo before Harris signed.

Edited by dezertbill

The chin was terrible. Ive said this many times on here. My friend is a Steelers fan and we used to watch the Bills and the Steelers every Sunday. The CHIN is a terrible coach.

If he comes here, enjoy more years of Crap!

Cowher is not leaving a cushy job to come back to coaching.....either is Gruden..........

It wouldn't surprise me if Pegula brings in a "consultant" to help him make decisions. That wouldn't necessarily cost Whaley his job, but that would diminish his power. It would be up to Whaley whether he wanted to accept that or not.

That goes along the lines of what Joe and Sal are both saying. Whaley may still be the GM in 2016, but a "consultant" who Pegula would rely heavily on would have strongly influence Pegula on any final decisions.

Pegula bucks will have to listen to a lot of excuses and it all falls on rex. If whaley has to go it's not the end of the world for me. But whaley could very well pull a nice power move and say...I put this team together let me get my coach outside of brandon and the pegulas. Doesn't the new tv contract come in next year which means an extra 30 or 40 mil for the bills? There's the coin to pay off rex's deal.

It wouldn't surprise me if Pegula brings in a "consultant" to help him make decisions. That wouldn't necessarily cost Whaley his job, but that would diminish his power. It would be up to Whaley whether he wanted to accept that or not.

That goes along the lines of what Joe and Sal are both saying. Whaley may still be the GM in 2016, but a "consultant" who Pegula would rely heavily on would have strongly influence Pegula on any final decisions.

i was thinking the same thing. They may not necessarily want him to part ways with the organization altogether because they like some of the things he and the scouts have done, but they do want to make changes to the overall decision making structure because it has not been good enough. He may decide to leave on his own. Edited by YoloinOhio

This guy Joe Chenelly has a source somewhere at OBD. He's had some info in the past. Fwiw:

@jchenelly: Current GM Doug Whaley will need to accept a lesser role w/ the #Bills if he is to remain with the team at all. There will be a new chief.

@Nagle_23: @jchenelly where you getting this info from

@jchenelly: @Nagle_23 Personal friend who is in the know and OK with me sharing, as has been the case for about a year.

@nickellion79: @MikeSilver @RaiderBounty @Na_Na_Nesci @JeremyWGR Mike any chance you think they realize they made a mistake with Rex?

@jchenelly: @nickellion79 Yes. But the person who will decide Rex Ryan's fate is not yet working for the team. #Bills

@nickellion79: @jchenelly Joe you are always well connected. What is going on at OBD right now?

@jchenelly: @nickellion79 A lot of disappointment. There may be some trigger-happy folks after today's game.

I'm not buying any of this.

I reported this 2 weeks ago. I guess it's only a story if you have a twitter following :)

You made the mistake of bringing up the M&T bank deal, and because that had nothing to do with football operations, it was discredited.