Twitter rumors about Bills new structure, fate of Rex/Whaley

YoloinOhio

I agree with this. Whaley has assembled a better roster than we have had previously.

I question a lot of rexs decisions this year but I don't know if changing coaches again is the right answer either.

Ugghh we are stuck in purgatory

Yet, Bill Parcells once put it: you are what your record says you are.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OBJ thing is BS hindsight.

I'd still rather have Sammy. OBJ is a primadonna baby little b*tch who plays dirty. Once Eli leaves or gets hurt and the next QB isn't delivering the ball to him the way he wants he will flip out. He seems like the type of guy who wants to be a celebrity outside of the game as much as being a top player. Sammy is all about football, winning, his family, etc. Yeah, he doesn't hold back with some of his comments, but they've been spot on and needed to be said. He's a very confident, competitive player who wants to help his team win. OBJ wants to be a brand.

Tyrod has been the best QB the Bills have had in a long time. But that is an incredibly low bar to grade a QB on. He has some serious deficiencies for a guy finishing his fifth year in the league. He has the slowest release time in the league, slower than the true rookies starting this year. It appears that the coaches only trust him with half-field read plays. These things can improve. But it is foolish to assume they will. Bills need to treat the draft as if they have no PROVEN commodity at QB.

Don't think he really played any of those years

Tyrod has been the best QB the Bills have had in a long time. But that is an incredibly low bar to grade a QB on. He has some serious deficiencies for a guy finishing his fifth year in the league. He has the slowest release time in the league, slower than the true rookies starting this year. It appears that the coaches only trust him with half-field read plays. These things can improve. But it is foolish to assume they will. Bills need to treat the draft as if they have no PROVEN commodity at QB.

You act like proven QBs hang out on street corners. How many proven QBs even play in the NFL? Five?

You say proven QB but what you really mean is future hall of famer.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

You act like proven QBs hang out on street corners. How many proven QBs even play in the NFL? Five?

Which is why many teams take QBs in the draft, to keep looking for young guys they can develop, even if the team currently has a mid level guy. I don't think we should take a QB with our first pick, but we should definitely consider looking at one in the mid rounds to push EJ in the pre-season for the backup, and maybe Tyrod in the future.

How does a GM take a lesser role?

I don't have time right now to read through the whole thread, so maybe this has already been beaten to death, but I don't understand this either. This "czar" thing is just a load of nonsense. The GM is over football operations...period. You don't have a "czar" and a GM.

If they want Whaley to take a lesser role, he won't be the GM, he'll be director of player/personnel or something (he won't do it; he'll easily get another GM job within 2 years), and the "czar" will be the new GM.

Making up new titles is just putting lipstick on a pig. And let's be realistic, this is the Bills we're talking about. There's a much greater chance we hire another Nix or Donahoe than there is of nailing a new GM hire. Can't even come close to getting a head coach right, and we expect a top NFL guru to fall out of the sky??

Which is why many teams take QBs in the draft, to keep looking for young guys they can develop, even if the team currently has a mid level guy. I don't think we should take a QB with our first pick, but we should definitely consider looking at one in the mid rounds to push EJ in the pre-season for the backup, and maybe Tyrod in the future.

So you advocate using draft picks on lottery tickets when you could pick up actual players who can contribute like a Karlos Williams?

Ugh.

I honestly don't know if I like the idea of a #Czar but I understand that things need changing. And I don't really understand what the difference is between a Czar and a GM. What GM would want to be second guessed by a Czar? Just hire a new GM if you aren't happy otherwise it's just going to lead to confusion. Something needs to be done and the Pegulas don't know/understand how the NFL works. Unfortunately this isn't as easy as just tanking and grabbing Eichel/Reinhart/et al. The NFL is about identifying talent. The top players in the NFL draft aren't always the best players as it is in the NHL.

Which came first, the egg or the chicken?

Players know when they're being asked to execute roles that don't suit their skills in ineffective schemes. Think about how Mario played under Wannstache. Would everyone prefer a guy with Mario's physical skills and football talent and Kyle Williams' lunchpail mentality and work ethic, Yes. But most everyone would take a guy with Mario's physical skills and football talent and just put him in a role that suits him in a scheme that works.

Getting rid of talented players then drafting to fill holes used to be looked down upon around here.

If the talented player is a disruption on the field and in the locker room, you get rid of him.

Whether or not the fans agree with the strategy, Rex is putting in his system that doesn't rely on petulant superstar players. Funny how everyone is slamming Rex for not being Belichick, but imagine how Bill would handle Mario if he thought that Mario was dogging it on the field, and worse in the locker room?

I know some of you folks are concerned about a house cleaning...

I'm not...I think it's the best thing...

The only thing I'm kind-of-hoping is that Whaley can stay in charge of the Scouting Department, because I do think he's a pretty decent at evaluating talent and running that side...But it's not like I'm going to lose any sleep if they blow that up as well...

I just don't see how it's possible for anyone to think another couple years of Rex gives us a better chance at winning...Especially if we are unable to find a Franchise QB...Which is more-than-likely...Unfortunate as it is...I don't think Rex "has it" any longer...He could not get this team to buy in, and even though he's just about the polar-opposite of Marrone personality-wise Rex could not get this roster to take the next step despite upgrades at QB, RB, OG, TE, and CB...I think it's very much a possibility that Rex's time as a legit HC in this league has come and gone...Since the beginning of the 2011 season Rex is 32-46 as a HC...There are probably a million reasons why...But it is what it is...He's not getting the job done...Period...

So yes...I hope we get a President Of Football Operations, and I hope the first thing he does is can Rex... B-)

But maybe that's just me... B-)

I agree with pretty much all of this. i like Rex and think he wants to win...I just don't think he can.

I did like the hire. I admit it. i was wrong.

Ugh.

I honestly don't know if I like the idea of a #Czar but I understand that things need changing. And I don't really understand what the difference is between a Czar and a GM. What GM would want to be second guessed by a Czar? Just hire a new GM if you aren't happy otherwise it's just going to lead to confusion. Something needs to be done and the Pegulas don't know/understand how the NFL works. Unfortunately this isn't as easy as just tanking and grabbing Eichel/Reinhart/et al. The NFL is about identifying talent. The top players in the NFL draft aren't always the best players as it is in the NHL.

I don't know about a czar either. But I do believe the Pegulas use consultants a lot. There were probably one or more evaluating the team all season.

I don't have time right now to read through the whole thread, so maybe this has already been beaten to death, but I don't understand this either. This "czar" thing is just a load of nonsense. The GM is over football operations...period. You don't have a "czar" and a GM.

If they want Whaley to take a lesser role, he won't be the GM, he'll be director of player/personnel or something (he won't do it; he'll easily get another GM job within 2 years), and the "czar" will be the new GM.

Making up new titles is just putting lipstick on a pig. And let's be realistic, this is the Bills we're talking about. There's a much greater chance we hire another Nix or Donahoe than there is of nailing a new GM hire. Can't even come close to getting a head coach right, and we expect a top NFL guru to fall out of the sky??

If a new guy comes in and Whaley stays...Whaley would remain the GM, and he new guy would more than likely be the President over Football Operations...It's all just words...But I'm guessing that's the way it would go down... B-)

I agree with pretty much all of this. i like Rex and think he wants to win...I just don't think he can.

I did like the hire. I admit it. i was wrong.

Me too...And I admit I was wrong as well...Of course it's easy for me to admit it because I'm so used to it... :lol:

I wasn't completely sold on the Ryan hire, but I thought at least they were trying to get a big "name" guy and hoped it would work out. It hasn't. After watching the season so far, I'd fire Ryan in a heart beat. I don't like the way they get beat. The penalties, the poor game management, players taking plays off, the play calling on offense and defense, implementing his scheme even though he doesn't have the players to run it (it appears), Rex acknowledging he was outcoached in 3 or 4 games, etc. I don't believe Rex can fix those problems in the next year or two. The Bills can fire Rex now or they will be doing it in 1-2 years. I just don't see Rex turning this around in however much time he has here. I'm less inclined to fire Whaley, but I would bring in a football czar. Someone whose built successful teams in the past hopefully. That doesn't mean they will again, but maybe they're closer than someone who hasn't.

I often don't agree with you, but you're spot on here. Tyrod is exciting. He has carried the team to a win sometimes. I love watching him at times. He has also failed to spot the open guy or the easy throw consistently, especially over the middle of the field. I also may be alone here, but while he doesn't often throw INTs, he seems to achieve this at the cost of hanging onto the ball too long, leading to a lot of fumble-inducing hits and sacks. Fumbles concern me big time whether they're recovered or not. At best they change momentum and put us in long down and distance, at worst they change possession.

The Bills need to act as though they don't have a QB until it's obvious to everyone through every game that they do.

So you advocate using draft picks on lottery tickets when you could pick up actual players who can contribute like a Karlos Williams?

Erm, at the position where Karlos Williams was drafted, any player is a lottery ticket. He may contribute (Winning ticket!), he may not.

The Bills have historically taken your view and been very sparing of how often and where they use draft picks on QB. How has that worked for us?

If a new guy comes in and Whaley stays...Whaley would remain the GM, and he new guy would more than likely be the President over Football Operations...It's all just words...But I'm guessing that's the way it would go down... B-)

And what would this President of Footbal Operations do? If he's over seeing Whaley(or whoevers GM), does he make decisions on drafts/pro player personnel?

Mike Holmgram was team president for the Browns for 2 years and that did basically nothing for the Browns. I just don't get the idea of it.

I wasn't completely sold on the Ryan hire, but I thought at least they were trying to get a big "name" guy and hoped it would work out. It hasn't. After watching the season so far, I'd fire Ryan in a heart beat. I don't like the way they get beat. The penalties, the poor game management, players taking plays off, the play calling on offense and defense, implementing his scheme even though he doesn't have the players to run it (it appears), Rex acknowledging he was outcoached in 3 or 4 games, etc. I don't believe Rex can fix those problems in the next year or two. The Bills can fire Rex now or they will be doing it in 1-2 years. I just don't see Rex turning this around in however much time he has here. I'm less inclined to fire Whaley, but I would bring in a football czar. Someone whose built successful teams in the past hopefully. That doesn't mean they will again, but maybe they're closer than someone who hasn't.

Again, I don't mean to sound snarky, but who is this football czar who has built successful teams in the past but is currently available? Why is he currently available?