Twitter rumors about Bills new structure, fate of Rex/Whaley

YoloinOhio

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like who, that's available?

High-quality proven winner GMs not typically walking the streets, any more than franchise QB

Not sure, but I do know 2 things:

1. $$$$$$$$ talks

2 The current state of affairs can certainly be improved.

I remember Doug saying in an interview his ambition is to be director of scouting. After the GM roll he wanted to go back to his roots. Doubt most Wendy's managers, would rather be the fry cook... seemed strange to me. I think he's a fine gm, and my preference would be to keep him around for at least one more year.

GMs miss on QBs all the time. Whaley even traded DOWN when he (and Buddy) was picking EJ.

Ozzie Newsome started building a defense and missed big time on his first QB, Kyle Boller, before getting it right a few years later.

Let the guy develop in the role. imo

This is spot on. As long as Brandon is totally out of the equation, I don't think there is any question that Whaley is going to be a solid GM. My god he is just getting started. If we keep living in this keep changing everything every two years cycle we will never get anywhere. Part of the reason I wanted to keep Schwartz.

Agreed, difference being that Ozzie didn't push Boller down Billick's throat.

Who's throat did Doug Whaley force EJ down? The year after drafting EJ, he coaxed Kyle out of retirement. Ozzie's Trent Filter? The following year he signs Tyrod (another Dilfer?) And trades for Casell.

I remember Doug saying in an interview his ambition is to be director of scouting. After the GM roll he wanted to go back to his roots. Doubt most Wendy's managers, would rather be the fry cook... seemed strange to me. I think he's a fine gm, and my preference would be to keep him around for at least one more year.

Anyone have any idea how much time a GM puts in, during the season, during the draft, and during the rest of the year?

If he's got a growing family, and if "Director of Scouting" is a good living but doesn't require the hours and stress of being a GM, I can see that being attractive if it's the part of the job he most loves.

Good points, but there's also this: every account indicates that being a successful football HC is an all-encompasing job-and-a-half featuring nights on the office coach and scheduling time for a 1/2 hr chat with the family. It takes a driven, hungry individual to pull that off and like it. The Chin has had a much less demanding prime-time cushy gig for years now.

Are there any successful instances of "personality" former successful football guys (coaches or GMs or presidents) who have moved on into broadcasting and come back to active football to win success?

Dick Vermeil.

Good points, but there's also this: every account indicates that being a successful football HC is an all-encompasing job-and-a-half featuring nights on the office coach and scheduling time for a 1/2 hr chat with the family. It takes a driven, hungry individual to pull that off and like it. The Chin has had a much less demanding prime-time cushy gig for years now.

Are there any successful instances of "personality" former successful football guys (coaches or GMs or presidents) who have moved on into broadcasting and come back to active football to win success?

Casserly?

Like who, that's available?

High-quality proven winner GMs not typically walking the streets, any more than franchise QB

Surely. But as with coaches, so with GMs, perhaps there are future stars out there. If the well of proven GMs is dry, it may be time to give an up and comer (not named Chris Polian) a chance in Buffalo. I would look at traditionally good trees such as the Packers, Steelers, Ravens....

Dick Vermeil.

Now that's an interesting example. 15 years in broadcasting.

I never met him, but I know several who knew him fairly well and by all accounts he was an impressive gentleman - combined clear insight and hard-headedness when he needed to be, with genuine caring for people. I don't think Cowher or the others who've been mentioned (Polian for sure) fit to pick the debris from his shoes as football guys but maybe that's just me.

Surely. But as with coaches, so with GMs, perhaps there are future stars out there. If the well of proven GMs is dry, it may be time to give an up and comer (not named Chris Polian) a chance in Buffalo. I would look at traditionally good trees such as the Packers, Steelers, Ravens....

You do realize that's pretty much what was done with Whaley, who spent a decade as the Steelers Pro Personnel guy, but who we're ready to run out of town because his every pick didn't work out?

Dick Vermeil.

Rams fans were about to run him out of town before the 1999 season happened and he backed into a guy named Kurt Warner.

He had exactly one winning season in St. Louis.

Chiefs fans ultimately grew tired of him too. Nice guy, great speeches but few wins. Two winning seasons.

Game passed him by at that point.

Letting Whaley walk would be such a Bills move.

And I'm not a fan of firing a coach after a season but man, in my wildest dreams, I couldn't imagine how bad Rex was this year. I think he needs another year but I won't cry if they made a change. So disappointing on so many levels.

Letting Whaley walk would be such a Bills move.

And I'm not a fan of firing a coach after a season but man, in my wildest dreams, I couldn't imagine how bad Rex was this year. I think he needs another year but I won't cry if they made a change. So disappointing on so many levels.

As disappointing as a CJ Spiller season?

B-)

B-)

I would thing they leave the GM, and HC in place. I assume we will lose a coordinator due to a HC position that opens up. Double edge sword as I see it. You want consistency, but the team was consistently terrible.

B-)

It's crazy how much people get a hard on about being right on a message board. Yes, I thought Spiller would be much more effective in New Orleans. Given their record, their coaching also leaves a lot to be desired.

But instead of message board flexing, try sexual relations with an attractive female. Much more satisfying. :)

It's crazy how much people get a hard on about being right on a message board. Yes, I thought Spiller would be much more effective in New Orleans. Given their record, their coaching also leaves a lot to be desired.

But instead of message board flexing, try sexual relations with an attractive female. Much more satisfying. :)

People don't forget.

You're right. Tannehill is on another heroic playoff less season.

I really don't care and it's not that important. Bills didn't make the playoffs for the 16th year and I care a little less every year.

If only he had a genius, successful coach like Kevin Sumlin :lol:.

On a more serious note, Rex has really gotta go. No other season has seen the fans and players turn on the staff this quick.

Edited by FireChan