Bills cannot go forward with Rex

Wiz

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I said when they hired Rex. He will rip the organization apart and fail. The only part I didn't see was I thought it would take two years and it only took one. Please for the sake of us all get rid of him now so we can move on and not make us wait two more years to rebuild with him to then fire him after the 2016 or 2017 season.

This is a worse situation than we've had in the past. If Rex stays, the Bills will lose all their FAs. No one particularly on defense will want to play for him, and they'll take good offers to go to teams that can make the playoffs. C-ya, Gilmore. Glenn and Incognito will be gone as well, and the progress made this year on the offensive line will be lost. The Bills are headed to an absolute disaster next year if Ryan stays. When Marrone left, it was sort of the same old thing we've seen before, but we've never had players itching to get out of town because of a coach before.

This is a a franchise-saving or franchise-killing decision point. If the Bills let Ryan stick around and try to rebuild the defense his way, the outflow of good players when their rookie contracts expire will never allow them to restock. They will hit rock bottom next year, with no O line, no defense, McCoy getting old without anyone to block for him, Watkins getting hurt, Taylor running for his life. The Bills will draft high in 2017, possibly first overall, and might then get the QB they want, who will be ready in about 2020 to lead them, but there won't be a team around him.

The alternative is to can Ryan, preferably now but more likely at the end of the season, and to bring in a coach who doesn't want to fix things that ain't broken. Hire Schwartz as defensive coordinator. Magically the Bills good players will decide to re-sign, and the team can move ahead. We can either sink with Ryan, who will get canned in a couple of years, or can Ryan now, and rescue the situation.

Ryan gets paid that $27M if he doesn't get another job, but there's a sucker born every minute, and an NFL owner willing to hire a marquee coach for advertising reasons will swallow the same bait the Pegulas did. So I don't think the full $27M will be lost. And $27M is peanuts compared to the agony of watching their $1B+ investment go down the tubes.

I wholeheartedly agree. Just like Rex sucked the life out of the defense, I can honestly say having Rex stay and watching what you describe above will suck the life out of me as a fan, in a fashion that I have not experienced before. I've been a fan since I was 10 yrs old back in '68. But if Rex stays and the players start to go, I may have to take a pause.

Rex will be back and so will Thurman. Crossman could be gone because he's not a true Rex guy.

I know Rex will be back and probably Thurman. But i also expect some position coaches to be upgraded.

I just hope they keep Henderson> a new LB coach would be nice. Whats Pepper doing these days?

Because ur defense was great and it would only get better with him in charge. If he got a true off coordinator like Gailey our team would have a better record than last season's 9-7.

As has been proven time and again, being a good coordinator doesn't mean you're head coaching material. Not sure how many times you watched the Lions when Schwartz was their head coach, but I recall many mind-boggling decisions in the games I saw. He was really bad in that role.

As has been proven time and again, being a good coordinator doesn't mean you're head coaching material. Not sure how many times you watched the Lions when Schwartz was their head coach, but I recall many mind-boggling decisions in the games I saw. He was really bad in that role.

a great example to make a valid point!

Rex should be fired, but probably won't be. I'm holding out hope that the Bills continue the sprint for the bus, and finish 6-10 by losing in humiliating fashion at home to both the 'girls and the Jest. Then maybe, just maybe, we can correct the Rex Ryan mistake before we get to 17 and counting. But BC is right (so I'm not betting you), the continuity faction will probably win, which means we don't make the playoffs next year. Sigh. It sucks when you know this thing should be blown up, but you can't because of money and continuity.

I hope we kill the Cowboys and beat the Jets knocking them out of the playoffs.

yes they can, it's called 4 ,more years 20M owed. Pegula's not gonna eat that much

It is less than 1% of his supposed worth, not much at all, and far less than what it will cost him in lost revenue, in eating the contracts of all the players Rex will want to replace, and the cost of bringing in supposedly better players thru trades and FA,of paying off Whaley and hiring a new GM, and replacing key people who will leave with Whaley, etc. The financially rational thing to do is sever ties with Rex.

It is less than 1% of his supposed worth, not much at all, and far less than what it will cost him in lost revenue, in eating the contracts of all the players Rex will want to replace, and the cost of bringing in supposedly better players thru trades and FA,of paying off Whaley and hiring a new GM, and replacing key people who will leave with Whaley, etc. The financially rational thing to do is sever ties with Rex.

It seems easier to get rid of Rex than everybody else, like you said.

I think Whaley has brought in a lot of talent.

And, somebody mentioned on the board somewhere about how usually the buyouts work that if he gets hired that money offsets what the Bills would owe him................I doubt he's just going to retire.

This has been discussed pretty thoroughly in other threads.

Wrex's approach of telling the fans, players, and owner, that they were going to the playoffs, and would have the best defense, set them up for a crash landing if the season were to take a downward turn (which it quickly did). When things start going wrong, it's blowouts, over emotional play, penalties, and whining to the press.

He's an idiot.

Firing Wrex would not only cost lots of money, it would send a really bad message to prospective coaches throughout the league.

A better way is to not allow him to turnover the roster to fit his scheme, but instead force him to either accept a new 4-3 DC, or have him adjust his scheme to suit the players here.

It would be great to just make Ryan a figurehead, and groom the new DC to take over after a season or 2. Ironically, Wrex's dad kinda undermined Ditka (a way overrated coach) on his way to dividing that Bears team into 2 separate factions.

The worst scenario is Whaley gets canned, Wrex "rebuilds" the defense over a couple seasons, and the team treads water until he is fired.

Edited by HoF Watkins

27 million is a good chunk of change even for a billionaire !!! Maybe we could bring in a new defensive coordinator & any other coaches we need & keep Rex as a figure for a year or two & then fire his ass.

Your looking at it all wrong. That $27 mill is a sunken cost. That money is gone & it was spent on dead weight. The real cost will be what it is going to take to get a Hue Jackson or some other hot shot coordinator to right this ship. My guess is it will be in the 3-4 million range per year so when you think of it that way it is not that bad.

Here we go again, spinning the Buffalo Bills wagon wheels. Fire this coach or that coach every 1-2 years so that we can start all over again. When are we going to learn? Give him at least another 2 years to turn it around. Continuity is best. I said it with Chan and I still believe we should have stuck to the course then, but again we ran another coach out of town.

I was as hyped up about this season as any, but we should have known there would be growing pains with a new coach and a new QB. Did we expect the D to be this bad, no, but I guess the scheme really does need the player types specifically for that scheme. Lets see what happens over the next couple years. I don't think Rex is going anywhere and rightfully so.

The worst scenario is Whaley gets canned, Wrex "rebuilds" the defense over a couple seasons, and the team treads water until he is fired.

I really doubt Whaley gets shown the door...But the later part of that statement is pretty much what I think is going to happen...I'm quite a bit less than optimistic Rex will be able to turn this thing around... B-)