Lacanfora:Showdown could be brewing b/w Whaley,coaches

YoloinOhio

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

‏@viccarucci

#Bills owner Terry Pegula is taking outside #NFL consultation on what to do w personnel matters to fix a team that has gone backwards.

‏@viccarucci

Pegula hearing from outside #NFL sources that #Bills need to move on from Manuel, upgrade backup QB & draft future QB. Bad news for Whaley.

There's the rub of drafting a QB in the 1st round. If he is a flop, then a GM's runway gets shortened significantly. It could even derail one's career, which perhaps explains why some Bills FO types would never even consider it.

Of course, Whaley can always push the decision off on Buddy Gump. Sort of.

In a vacuum, I would understand that the hiring of a football czar may not have been tied to Whaley's performance as GM, but since Whaley has not been extended (his contract reportedly expires at the end of this year), I believe that there may be a connection.

There's the rub of drafting a QB in the 1st round. If he is a flop, then a GM's runway gets shortened significantly. It could even derail one's career, which perhaps explains why some Bills FO types would never even consider it.

He can push off the pick on Buddy sort of, but he owns all of the last 2 years.

‏@viccarucci

#Bills owner Terry Pegula is taking outside #NFL consultation on what to do w personnel matters to fix a team that has gone backwards.

‏@viccarucci

Pegula hearing from outside #NFL sources that #Bills need to move on from Manuel, upgrade backup QB & draft future QB. Bad news for Whaley.

He needs someone to tell him that?

I firmly believe it was Buddy who was bound and determined to get the Bills a "Franchise" QB before he departed as GM and we got EJM at #16 in the 2013 draft. It obviously hasn't worked out and the search continues while they take a wait and see with Tyrod based on the MMQB piece.

He needs someone to tell him that?

Obviously not based on the MMQB Tyrod piece. It's clear as day what the plan should be.

Surprising that he would want to get rid of Roman? Don't get that at all. I know he wants more targets for Sammy but Roman isn't out there throwing the ball.

its not about that, its about the run first, 2 tight end formations and um can i say zero crossing pattern plays and almost no screen game to speak of.

Strange - how do supposed personnel issues paint Whaley in a bad light. Sure, he hasnt hit on all of them but we have been suffering for the past 3 years from some dysfunctional coaching. And supposedly the coaching choices have been Russ (Marrone) and Pegula (RR).

In any case, I am suspecting that Whaley may choose to not re-up his contract because frankly, his roster building has been seriously undermined by coaching choices seemingly out of his control.

Perhaps he could visit the board here and do a townhall session. Probably will get better advice :D

The bolded just underscores a point. A good GM doesn't build a "great roster" in total isolation. This is a team sport. The roster must be built to work as components of an overall design that includes the coaches—the guys that put together the game plans, etc. It is a long road of futility to just build a collection of shiny parts. 3 new mufflers, a pair of mag rims, curb feelers, and fuzzy dice might up the "bling" factor, but they don't make a functioning car.

Could be it then all comes down to if DW does in fact have other opportunities available to him around the league. Why would he sign a lame-duck contract, having to deal with a coach/coaching staff that he doesn't get along with? No-win situation for him. It'd be pretty wild if he pulled a Marrone 1 year later.

That's why he'd have to get at least a 2 year extension. No way he signs a one year deal.

@viccarucci

@viccarucci

Brilliant- there are so many competent backup QB's available. Maybe once Romo is healthy we can take one of Dallas' , Moore and Cassel looked great last night. Draft a future QB- no crap- every team does that, it's just that it doesn't often work out. Are these geniuses recommending anything about improving our defense?

He can push off the pick on Buddy sort of, but he owns all of the last 2 years.

So he owns the first winning record in a decade? This year the team is likely headed for 8-8 if not 9-7 again. Even if they end 7-9 he would be .500 for the last 2 years. You're right though let's run him out of town he's terrible...

@viccarucci

Future of Doug Whaley has #Bills GM up in the air as Terry Pegula listens to outside advice: http://bit.ly/1Zj4teY

The fact Ryan is the head coach, with four years left on his contract after this season, is not viewed as an impediment in the Bills' ability to attract other people to run the football operation, the source said.

"You just need to get Rex someone who is there to get him what he needs for the team to be successful above anything else," the source said. "This is two head coaches that" Whaley "has had problems with. That's not a coincidence."

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

the 2015 roster has far better offensive talent than the 2014 team, and Darby improved an already talented defensive unit.

I think the front office and coaches worked well in getting and keeping who they wanted. I see no problem here, other than an attempt to utilize the defensive talent in a manner that lessens their value. if the report was centered on a disagreement regarding that, I'd take it seriously.. the fact that it's centered around how many targets our receiver gets, makes it nonsense.