Off Season Needs: Draft and Free Agency

truth on hold

Here's mine in order:

1. TE: need another one of starting caliber. Just look how the best teams (pats, seahawks, panthers) rely on them, and invest in the position. Gragg is not the answer.

2. MLB: badly needed to make Rex's D work. Our weakest unit on D (mediocre linebackers), needs to be upgraded to be at least on par with the other units.

3. Right Tackle: too much pressure coming from this side. We don't have the QB with pocket awareness and a quick enough release that can offset it.

4. OLB: see #2 above, improvement of Hughes in coverage makes this lower than MLB as a priority.

5. WR: still searching for that legit #2. But it won't do much good until we get #1 and #3 right.

** QB: could go anywhere on the list but I marked as asterisk since its a given. Either Tyrod or EJ is not on the roster next season (most likely the latter), and IMO neither is the answer anyway. Given unlikelihood of finding the answer in FA with our cap constraints, we'll need to draft one in the first 3 rounds.

Edited by JTSP

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot safety. Other then that, looks good.

MLB

RT

S

NT

Edge

WR

TE

QB

is how I see it

If AW is back, McKelvin flexed btw CB and S, Rambo, Graham, etc...I'm good with the guys alongside Gilmore and Darby. If the front 7 performs like it should, they'll get a lot of picks Edited by JTSP

let's see.

are we gonna pay Cordy Glenn massive money? Seriously, is he gonna get a contract? It should be up as he was a 2nd round pick in 2012. Do we think he's worth 7/8m a year on a 5/6 year deal. I'd guess he'll command 30m guaranteed at least.

OK, so let's say we don't pay:

needs:

LT, LG (Richie isn't signed), RT, TE depth, WR (need a bigger target), DE (as Mario is gonna be let go), NT (Kyle gonna be let go and Marcel is moving to DE), LB depth, and you can always use more CB. Perhaps a K too!

Yep, really simple.

let's see.

are we gonna pay Cordy Glenn massive money? Seriously, is he gonna get a contract? It should be up as he was a 2nd round pick in 2012. Do we think he's worth 7/8m a year on a 5/6 year deal. I'd guess he'll command 30m guaranteed at least.

OK, so let's say we don't pay:

needs:

LT, LG (Richie isn't signed), RT, TE depth, WR (need a bigger target), DE (as Mario is gonna be let go), NT (Kyle gonna be let go and Marcel is moving to DE), LB depth, and you can always use more CB. Perhaps a K too!

Yep, really simple.

The OL and WR situations scare me far worse than anything on defense. If Glenn and Cogs walk that OL is a trainwreck. Watkins needs a threat opposite him to be effective so finding one is a huge priority. A lesser need, but a need nonetheless, is a quality slot WR. We really don't have a threat there.

I'll wait to see what moves are made pre-free agency before I fully address the defense. Obviously the LB corps need some help, DBs could use some depth (and more if McKelvin is let go) and the DL will need to adequately replace anyone traded or released.

Yeah, and probably a kicker.

Hopefully cogs shows some luv for bills taking s flyer on him and re-signs at favorable salary. Mario is gone and I understand that creates a lot of cap space. In FA I think TE and RT (and maybe WR) have potential , other needs on my OP list I see as more draft related. Hopefully some good LBs are available.

Edited by JTSP

Rex is going to want to upgrade the LB's and Safeties first and foremost...You can pretty much take that to the bank...Especially a true 3-down LB...Think Jamie Collins or to a lesser extent Telvin Smith...

After that...for me at least...it's D-line...an End and a Tackle (I expect Mario and maybe Kyle to be gone), O-Line unless we keep everyone...and even then we could probably upgrade the depth...Another WR...And obviously a QB, even if it's a later round developmental-type... B-)

Rex is going to want to upgrade the LB's and Safeties first and foremost...You can pretty much take that to the bank...Especially a true 3-down LB...Think Jamie Collins or to a lesser extent Telvin Smith...

After that...for me at least...it's D-line...an End and a Tackle (I expect Mario and maybe Kyle to be gone), O-Line unless we keep everyone...and even then we could probably upgrade the depth...Another WR...And obviously a QB, even if it's a later round developmental-type... B-)

Jaylon Smith or myles jack...I think one of those LBs should be there when we draft Rd1. Although with the success of mack defying the "dont draft an LB high" wisdom (which I never subscribed to), you never know. But even if we don't snag one of them, overall at first glance it seems like a deep LB class Edited by JTSP

A good tutor. The concept of a 'brand new' middle linebacker in this defense (especially a rookie) in concerning. Given the rumblings about how long it takes players to 'get it' with this defense, it might make for a long year on D. I'd prefer a free agent in this capacity over a draft pick but it's best to take the talent when you can get it.

Here's mine in order:

An unwarranted backhand slap at Tyrod Taylor here but most of these are def needs

1. TE: need another one of starting caliber. Just look how the best teams (pats, seahawks, panthers) rely on them, and invest in the position. Gragg is not the answer.

Either a TE OR a big physical wideout that will fight for balls in traffic.......does Dez Lewis make the team next year? I thought he was getting better towards the end of training camp.

2. MLB: badly needed to make Rex's D work. Our weakest unit on D (mediocre linebackers), needs to be upgraded to be at least on par with the other units.

Strong chance this is where our 1st round pick goes......this is supposed to be a good D draft

3. Right Tackle: too much pressure coming from this side. We don't have the QB with pocket awareness and a quick enough release that can offset it.

When a street free agent (Mills.....who should be kept) comes in and outplays everything you have on your roster......yes....its a need but can be addressed in the draft. I think Whaley had a change of heart somewhere and now thinks Glenn and Cog are priorities...and will be kept.

4. OLB: see #2 above, improvement of Hughes in coverage makes this lower than MLB as a priority.

I think that our starting MLB did a good job in this role last year and can move to that spot.....but I FULLY expect us to draft at least 2 linebackers in this draft.

5. WR: still searching for that legit #2. But it won't do much good until we get #1 and #3 right.

We can find this....either in free agency or draft.

What is not on this list is Mario Williams......who looks completely out of place in this D (or uninterested take your pick) and makes entirely too much for such little production. I would cut or trade Mario......swipe a DL off of Baltimore's DL in free agency to replace him.

And as far as QB......while I think I got hit by a flying pig reading this sky is falling thread.......we DO go into next year knowing who our starting QB and we obviously disagree on a. How good Tyrod Taylor is and b. His potential to get better then he is now. That is not to say we dont need a qb....we DO need a QB.......a clipboard holder to watch a starter like Tyrod and learn.

** QB: could go anywhere on the list but I marked as asterisk since its a given. Either Tyrod or EJ is not on the roster next season (most likely the latter), and IMO neither is the answer anyway. Given unlikelihood of finding the answer in FA with our cap constraints, we'll need to draft one in the first 3 rounds.

the entire defense pretty much haha A nose tackle, an ILB, a pass rusher, at least 1 safety. Probably draft another corner late to take mckelvins spot as hes probably gone.

On offense - depends on who we keep - but maybe a TE, T, or WR? We could improve at a few spots though. Id like a shifty WR in the slot too.

Edited by dneveu

The Bills biggest positional needs heading into the off season in order of importance: Inside LB, Offensive Tackle, Safety, DE/OLB, backup/developmental QB

I don't billieve any of the positions above should be our first round draft pick, let me explain why.

Insdie Linebacker - Preston Brown and Nigel Bradham have struggled this year. After an above average year for both of them in 2014, they have seemed to regress. Bradham has been awful and most likely won't be a Bill next year. Both ILBs have struggled stopping the run this year with Bradham being the worst. So what happend? The simple answer is that Bradham was NEVER a good run stopper. Last year that was Brandon Spikes' job. You will notice this year, Preston Brown is playing really tight to the line of scrimmage, like 2 yards tight. Brown plays well in space, he doesn't play well in congestion. When he's forced to play like a prototypical MLB (like Spikes), he struggles. BUT, when he plays next to a run stopping LB, Brown looks excellent. With Spikes gone, Bradham is forced to be a 3 down backer, which he is not. The only way to get the elite play out of he Preston Brown is to pair him with a run stuffing MLB. Brown cannot play in tight congested space, he doesn't read the play fast enough, and then can't react. My prediction is the Bills do not go ILB in the first round of the 2016 NFL draft. I think they will let Bradham walk and sign a free agent ILB. Run stuffing LBs are not terribly hard to find, elite pass covering LBs and hybrids are less common. The Bills will go ILB in the 2nd round, who will compete with the free agent as well as Lawson and Powell.

Offensive Tackle - The Bills' offensive line (as a whole) this year has been above average. The left side in particular is elite. John Miller has struggled this year, but I've seen flashes that give me confidence he will do better in the near future. I predict the Bills will select an OT in the 3rd round of the 2016 NFL draft. They will also acquire another talent through free agency to compete. SOMEONE will step up at OT next year between Henderson, Mills, 3rd round pick, free agent. I don't see the line's level of play changing a whole lot from this year, they are an above average unit and thats all we need.

Safety In order for this post to make sense, I'm going to have to make an assumption that Aaron Williams will be back on the field next year. A-Will has emerged as a leader on defense, I don't see him hanging it up after this year. Corey Graham has been a god send for the Bills these past 2 seasons. He's leading the team in tackles this year and continues to play at a high level. Rambo has emerged as a real threat on defense. I'm super happy with Rambo as a backup or a starter if Williams or Graham go down next year. I predict the Bills will select a Safety in the 4th round of the 2016 NFL draft. They will most likely bring in a free agent to compete with Rambo, A-Will, Graham and the 4th round pick. We're set here.

DE/OLB - This gets a little tricky, and everyone has their own opinion on Mario Williams. For the sake of wrapping up this post, I'm not going to get into cap numbers and all that. Here is what I know: The Bills WILL NOT let Mario walk unless we have a suitable replacement. IMO, Mario will stay next year. I think we restructure the contract and he stays. IF we do let him walk, you better believe its because we bring in another high profile free agent. There's a couple elite options on the market this year, we'll see what happens. I predict we select a DE/OLB in the 5th round of the 2016 NFL draft to compete.

Developmental QB - The Bills might also select a DT at this stage in the draft, but lets just go with QB for now. Tyrod has been excellent this year, but as Doug Whaley said, we're still looking for competition and a future starter if Tyrod doesn't become the guy. We'll select a QB in the 6th round and DT in the 7th round.

So what are we doing for the first round pick??!!! I BILLIEVE in my heart that the Bills need to go WIDE RECEIVER in the first round of the 2016 NFL draft. Here's why:

Speed up Tyrod Taylor's development. Tyrod has more than a few weapons on offense this year and he's done a good job spreading it around. He MUST get rid of the ball quicker next year. Lets surround him with even more offensive talent that can get an open release off the line of scrimmage for quicker throws.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm sick of watching a ****ty offense.. I WANT AN ELITE ONE!! That's right, I want to watch an elite offense as a Buffalo Bills fan. I want it, and I deserve it. I wasn't old enough to watch the K-Gun do its thing. Give me a goddamn elite offense, and if we can secure one more elite WR threat, I think we get there.

Take some pressure off the run game. Its no secret, the Bills run game is what keeps us in every contest. We can't run the ball, we don't win the game, pretty simple. Do we want to bet on the fact that we'll have a run game in the top 5 of the league again next year? Nah, lets show the league that we can toss it around with the best of them.

You ever wondered what the offense would look like if Percy Harvin was healthy and playing at 100% this year? This thought has blood rushing to my loins. Since Percy can't stay healthy, he will be gone next year. There are a few elite prospects in the draft that can replace him, or be even better.

Who are the prospects? I see 3 guys that can make an immediate impact in the NFL. Michael Thomas (Ohio State), Laquon Treadwell (Ole Miss) and Corey Coleman (Baylor). These guys can fly up and down the field. I dare you to double sammy.. Tyrod will hit the deep ball on the other side. Coleman in particular is a vertical playmaker. With Tyrod getting more comfortable and better next year, Coleman could make this offense elite.

GO BILLS!!!!