#1- QB

#2- OL

#3- NT

#4- LB

#5- TE

#6- CB

#7-WR

That happened quickly didn't it?

coming into the season, this was the year to go for it with the talent peaking?

Next year we are needy and wanting. Hmmm...

LB's have been a liability for this team for a decade. That's not an exaggeration. 2014 was the lone exception. Can we may be start calling that what it probably was: a fluke?

Maybe.

i agree the LBs have been a sore spot. or at least how they were deployed. aarggh

That happened quickly didn't it?

coming into the season, this was the year to go for it with the talent peaking?

Next year we are needy and wanting. Hmmm...

Maybe.

i agree the LBs have been a sore spot. or at least how they were deployed. aarggh

The only place some of them should have been deployed is Siberia. I'm talking about the likes of John DiGiorgio, John Corto, Jeff Posey, Angelo Crowell, Nick Barnett, Kelvin Shepphard, Bryan Scott, Reggie Torbor, Akin Ayodele, Keith Ellison...I have to stop. I'm sorry. This is a very depressing list.

The Bills biggest positional needs heading into the off season in order of importance: Inside LB, Offensive Tackle, Safety, DE/OLB, backup/developmental QB

I don't billieve any of the positions above should be our first round draft pick, let me explain why.

Insdie Linebacker - Preston Brown and Nigel Bradham have struggled this year. After an above average year for both of them in 2014, they have seemed to regress. Bradham has been awful and most likely won't be a Bill next year. Both ILBs have struggled stopping the run this year with Bradham being the worst. So what happend? The simple answer is that Bradham was NEVER a good run stopper. Last year that was Brandon Spikes' job. You will notice this year, Preston Brown is playing really tight to the line of scrimmage, like 2 yards tight. Brown plays well in space, he doesn't play well in congestion. When he's forced to play like a prototypical MLB (like Spikes), he struggles. BUT, when he plays next to a run stopping LB, Brown looks excellent. With Spikes gone, Bradham is forced to be a 3 down backer, which he is not. The only way to get the elite play out of he Preston Brown is to pair him with a run stuffing MLB. Brown cannot play in tight congested space, he doesn't read the play fast enough, and then can't react. My prediction is the Bills do not go ILB in the first round of the 2016 NFL draft. I think they will let Bradham walk and sign a free agent ILB. Run stuffing LBs are not terribly hard to find, elite pass covering LBs and hybrids are less common. The Bills will go ILB in the 2nd round, who will compete with the free agent as well as Lawson and Powell.

Offensive Tackle - The Bills' offensive line (as a whole) this year has been above average. The left side in particular is elite. John Miller has struggled this year, but I've seen flashes that give me confidence he will do better in the near future. I predict the Bills will select an OT in the 3rd round of the 2016 NFL draft. They will also acquire another talent through free agency to compete. SOMEONE will step up at OT next year between Henderson, Mills, 3rd round pick, free agent. I don't see the line's level of play changing a whole lot from this year, they are an above average unit and thats all we need.

Safety In order for this post to make sense, I'm going to have to make an assumption that Aaron Williams will be back on the field next year. A-Will has emerged as a leader on defense, I don't see him hanging it up after this year. Corey Graham has been a god send for the Bills these past 2 seasons. He's leading the team in tackles this year and continues to play at a high level. Rambo has emerged as a real threat on defense. I'm super happy with Rambo as a backup or a starter if Williams or Graham go down next year. I predict the Bills will select a Safety in the 4th round of the 2016 NFL draft. They will most likely bring in a free agent to compete with Rambo, A-Will, Graham and the 4th round pick. We're set here.

DE/OLB - This gets a little tricky, and everyone has their own opinion on Mario Williams. For the sake of wrapping up this post, I'm not going to get into cap numbers and all that. Here is what I know: The Bills WILL NOT let Mario walk unless we have a suitable replacement. IMO, Mario will stay next year. I think we restructure the contract and he stays. IF we do let him walk, you better believe its because we bring in another high profile free agent. There's a couple elite options on the market this year, we'll see what happens. I predict we select a DE/OLB in the 5th round of the 2016 NFL draft to compete.

Developmental QB - The Bills might also select a DT at this stage in the draft, but lets just go with QB for now. Tyrod has been excellent this year, but as Doug Whaley said, we're still looking for competition and a future starter if Tyrod doesn't become the guy. We'll select a QB in the 6th round and DT in the 7th round.

So what are we doing for the first round pick??!!! I BILLIEVE in my heart that the Bills need to go WIDE RECEIVER in the first round of the 2016 NFL draft. Here's why:

Speed up Tyrod Taylor's development. Tyrod has more than a few weapons on offense this year and he's done a good job spreading it around. He MUST get rid of the ball quicker next year. Lets surround him with even more offensive talent that can get an open release off the line of scrimmage for quicker throws.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm sick of watching a ****ty offense.. I WANT AN ELITE ONE!! That's right, I want to watch an elite offense as a Buffalo Bills fan. I want it, and I deserve it. I wasn't old enough to watch the K-Gun do its thing. Give me a goddamn elite offense, and if we can secure one more elite WR threat, I think we get there.

Take some pressure off the run game. Its no secret, the Bills run game is what keeps us in every contest. We can't run the ball, we don't win the game, pretty simple. Do we want to bet on the fact that we'll have a run game in the top 5 of the league again next year? Nah, lets show the league that we can toss it around with the best of them.

You ever wondered what the offense would look like if Percy Harvin was healthy and playing at 100% this year? This thought has blood rushing to my loins. Since Percy can't stay healthy, he will be gone next year. There are a few elite prospects in the draft that can replace him, or be even better.

Who are the prospects? I see 3 guys that can make an immediate impact in the NFL. Michael Thomas (Ohio State), Laquon Treadwell (Ole Miss) and Corey Coleman (Baylor). These guys can fly up and down the field. I dare you to double sammy.. Tyrod will hit the deep ball on the other side. Coleman in particular is a vertical playmaker. With Tyrod getting more comfortable and better next year, Coleman could make this offense elite.

GO BILLS!!!!

Dude.

seriously.

you have good eye for detail, and i do like your vision.

well done.

The loss of Harvin truly was a big deal. Such a great fit for what Roman was trying to get to in play calling and Tyrod needs a guy like him.

I could make comment upon all your observations. But i think i will just agree across the board with you.

CC to Rex and Whaley

and

BCC to Pegules

The only place some of them should have been deployed is Siberia. I'm talking about the likes of John DiGiorgio, John Corto, Jeff Posey, Angelo Crowell, Nick Barnett, Kelvin Shepphard, Bryan Scott, Reggie Torbor, Akin Ayodele, Keith Ellison...I have to stop. I'm sorry. This is a very depressing list.

Goes back a little further.. but Eddie robinson... UGH.

I have to take exception with Bryan Scott.

he played a tweener position and was asked to do way too much in coverage.

Barnett had some moments the first year.

but a sadly overlooked position on the Bills till we got Whaley

Goes back a little further.. but Eddie robinson... UGH.

how far back is that ?

Jaylon Smith or myles jack...I think one of those LBs should be there when we draft Rd1. Although with the success of mack defying the "dont draft an LB high" wisdom (which I never subscribed to), you never know. But even if we don't snag one of them, overall at first glance it seems like a deep LB class

Drafting a LB in the top 10 is like Drafting a RB in the top 10. It can be done, however he needs to be a can't miss and also someone you feel projects out to an all pro.

Hopefully cogs shows some luv for bills taking s flyer on him and re-signs at favorable salary. Mario is gone and I understand that creates a lot of cap space. In FA I think TE and RT (and maybe WR) have potential , other needs on my OP list I see as more draft related. Hopefully some good LBs are available.

I don't agree with you guys on the TE need. They just spent a lot of money on Clay and don't use him enough. Maybe they can bring another guy like Mulligan as a blocker but it's a pretty low priority. After spending big bucks also on FB Felton and rarely using him, maybe they get more of an H-back

What a mess.

Is Whaley going to use the high picks to feed Wrex's Defensive Scheme, get another QB, or help Tyrod?

So we need a nose tackle, a middle linebacker, a safety, and a DE. How likely is it they can find guys better than what they have, at all these positions, in one off-season? Not very.

But that's not even considering the offensive weaknesses.

If there is a good QB prospect, should the Bills select one? I want them to, even though I like Taylor.

And what about the O-line? Even if they all stay, it needs an influx of talent.

I think a WR that can take advantage of the space Watkins creates would give the offense a big boost.

No way they can improve even HALF of these positions in one off-season.

Of course, if Wrex could figure out how to use the defensive talent he already has, the needs are cut in half.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Offensive line and LB's. They might need to draft OT in first round two years in a row. The key is to get Incognito signed before the season is over. Then the can franchise Glenn and make him work for one year w/o a long term commitment. Draft an OT that will be the eventual LT and play him at RT in 2016.

Then draft a 3-4 DE, and two LB's.

Restructure Mario.

Cut Carpenter, Gay, Felton, all the TE's besides Clay, Goodwin, Kujo, and Harvin.

Draft the best kicker in round 4.

Sign a #2 WR and #2 TE in FA.

Offensive line and LB's. They might need to draft OT in first round two years in a row. The key is to get Incognito signed before the season is over. Then the can franchise Glenn and make him work for one year w/o a long term commitment. Draft an OT that will be the eventual LT and play him at RT in 2016.

Then draft a 3-4 DE, and two LB's.

Restructure Mario.

Cut Carpenter, Gay, Felton, all the TE's besides Clay, Goodwin, Kujo, and Harvin.

Draft the best kicker in round 4.

Sign a #2 WR and #2 TE in FA.

Is this one draft?

What are the chances of drafting an OT, 2 linebackers and a DE, that will all be better than what is already here?

Edited by HoF Watkins

secure one more elite WR threat, I think we get there.

Take some pressure off the run game. Its no secret, the Bills run game is what keeps us in every contest. We can't run the ball, we don't win the game, pretty simple. Do we want to bet on the fact that we'll have a run game in the top 5 of the league again next year? Nah, lets show the league that we can toss it around with the best of them.

You ever wondered what the offense would look like if Percy Harvin was healthy and playing at 100% this year? This thought has blood rushing to my loins. Since Percy can't stay healthy, he will be gone next year. There are a few elite prospects in the draft that can replace him, or be even better.

Who are the prospects? I see 3 guys that can make an immediate impact in the NFL. Michael Thomas (Ohio State), Laquon Treadwell (Ole Miss) and Corey Coleman (Baylor). These guys can fly up and down the field. I dare you to double sammy.. Tyrod will hit the deep ball on the other side. Coleman in particular is a vertical playmaker. With Tyrod getting more comfortable and better next year, Coleman could make this offense elite.

GO BILLS!!!!

I am on board with this (though I would rather pick up a free agent). The top pick is all about getting a special talent. Another deep threat WR could really help Tyrod, and open things up for Watkins. Right now, the deep safety always cheats to Watkins. He is just hanging tight to see if he needs to commit to Watkins, if he is going to go deep. If they don't know which guy might go deep, it could pull both safeties deep, opening things up underneath.

We have seen how, once Watkins gets going, the defense dedicates an extra DB to take him out of the game (usually in the 2nd half). The Bills don't have anyone to take advantage of that.

As much as I like defense, I think the rules are definitely tilted in advantage to the offense. They need to get the offense working like a machine. Tyrod needs lots of work, especially in being able to pace the offense, and 2-minute situations.

Edited by HoF Watkins

QB...Plain and Simple!!

I don't care what other needs are addressed this offseason as long as there is a serious attempt by the front office to upgrade the quarterback position for the future of this team.

Sure, Tyrod is a nice player but he has serious issues that need to be corrected. If he was a rookie or 1st year player, I would have hope, but he is a fifth year pro. Granted he has never started prior to this year but he makes the same mistakes as EJ or any other young quarterback with limited exposure.

He has spent years learning what not to do and he does that well. He doesn't turn the ball over. The problem is, he hasn't learned how to be a NFL quarterback that can lead a team consistently.

He only reads a small portion of the field at a time, he locks in on receivers far too often and he tends to have huge lapses during games to be able to utilize his primary playmakers.

Tyrod probably will be our starting QB next year but he doesn't have all of the tools to be the "franchise" QB for the foreseeable future.

Being fans of a franchise starved for anything resembling decent QB play, most are jumping on the Tyrod bandwagon because he's probably better in year one than everyone since Kelly, with the exception of Bledsoe. Unfortunately, the weaknesses are glaring for a guy that's been backing up for 4 years.

It's time to seriously make a run at a young QB with size, smarts and strength to turn this franchise around.