The Offseason I Want To See

H2o

What I'd like to see:

1. No changes to coaching staff, even in spite of the problems. Let's try going one off-season with continuity. I'm frustrated with the big drop in production too but the defense has had a new coordinator every season for the past four years (Wanny, Pettine, Schwartz, Thurman).

2. Trade or restructure Mario and Kyle.

3. Fully implement the 3-4 that Rex clearly wants to do, so LB / S / NT need to be addressed through combination of FA and the Draft, depending whose available. Dareus is too good to be a space-eating-NT so he moves to the edge in Rex's 3-4.

4. Re-sign Glenn/Incognito

5. OL should be addressed in FA and Draft — give up on Kujo and admit Henderson should be depth, so RT is the big need here, ideally a FA acquisition. Miller/Urbik are serviceable at RG if no better option presents itself. Draft best available OL early, even if it's a LT or C, because we need depth across the board here.

6. Need a veteran WR2. It's a shame neither Mike Williams nor Percy worked out but its the right idea. Brandon Marshall was, imo, clearly the big miss of the offseason this year and very well could've changed several outcomes this year if he were on the team. Some of those 2 minute drills might've ended differently if there were more threats than just Sammy and sometimes Clay. Hogan is a fine #3. I don't think Robert Woods should be on the team next year.

7. With no scheme changes and a lot of returning personnel next year, OTAs and Camp need to focus on fundamentals, to an annoyingly obsessive degree, with a huge emphasis on avoiding any techniques that will draw a flag.

Like your thoughts, especially about letting continuity have an opportunity to play out in Buffalo.

I would keep Woods though. I think he makes a great #3 receiver.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pettine left Rex and the NYJ staff to come to Buffalo in order to escape the very large shadow of one Rex Ryan. What makes you think he'll be so eager to put himself back in the same position again?

+1 Thurman is with Rex because Thurman will never be a head coach...He's the career assistant.

Pettine was in Buf and now in Cle because he's a lead dog. He's not going to be a coordinator under a defense-minded head coach again. He'll go be the DC for some OC who gets hired as a Head Coach - some guy like Bevell, Gase, or Reich.

This is the biggest problem, if you ask me. Good coordinators build a system around their players' talents, not force a player into their system.

If Rex is going to succeed, he needs to get the right guys for his system. He can't force his system on the guys who don't have the skills to do what he wants them to do.

completely agree but more often than not we see coaches forcing their great complex system on players who clearly dont fit what the coach is trying to do

this also gives that coach the built in excuse when things do not go as planned

hiring Rex and changing the defense was a mistake, plain and simple

Like your thoughts, especially about letting continuity have an opportunity to play out in Buffalo.

I would keep Woods though. I think he makes a great #3 receiver.

I agree with the continuity sentiment as well.

I'm not sure they will go for WR that early. We actually have very good talent at the skill positions. The cupboard hasn't been this well stocked since the early 90's.

I think they will focus on the line. When Taylor has time and the running game is going, we are hard to stop. Our offense hasn't lacked explosiveness - it's not a butter knife at a gun fight (like much of the last two decades). It's a real weapon, but we've just fired blanks too often (penalties, gambling on the long throw on third down, etc.). I say we follow the Dallas blueprint from a couple years ago - draft OL early and often. As I was writing that last sentence, I realized that was what Tannebaum did with the NYJ before/during his time with Rex. Their line had a lot of 1st round picks. They also could control a game with the run. This keeps Rex's D fresh.

Speaking of D...We need more/better LBs. As much as I would like Wilkerson, I'm afraid he'll be out of reach financially. Additionally, the last place you need disruptive talent in Rex's D is the line. They need to be Stalwart Rocks that are immovable, but the LBs and Ss need to be dynamic. The line is a Stop-the-Run-First unit. That's why Rex has all those fancy blitz packages on third and long...his lineman aren't required to be world-beaters in the pass rush.

completely agree but more often than not we see coaches forcing their great complex system on players who clearly dont fit what the coach is trying to do

this also gives that coach the built in excuse when things do not go as planned

hiring Rex and changing the defense was a mistake, plain and simple

I think the Rex hire was the reason why the Pegulas needed a "football czar" and the reason why they couldn't get the czar into the building. Polian likely predicted that this transition would be difficult. Better to come in after the evidence is in plain view for everyone, then Polian doesn't have egg on his face. I'd predict they give Whaley a few more years on the contract and a couple more years to prove his worth. Then we'll either have a bona fide GM in Whaley or we'll bring in the Czar who will bring in a GM who will bring in a Coach who will bring in a DC (and it will probably mean we change schemes again)... :wallbash:

Pettine left Rex and the NYJ staff to come to Buffalo in order to escape the very large shadow of one Rex Ryan. What makes you think he'll be so eager to put himself back in the same position again?

This is also why Schwartz left. Schwartz knew Rex would insist on running his damn system whether it fit the personnel or not.

1. Fire Thurman and hire Pettine. Rex would be hands off with Pettine and we know he is a capable DC as he has done a good job with this team before.

Thurman is Rex's career assistant, he exists to do Rex's bidding, he isn't going to be fired.

2. In house - Restructure Mario and if that doesn't work then trade or release him. Restructure the oft injured Kyle Williams, trade, or release him. Bye Bradham(let him walk), bye McKelvin, adios Duke. Clear as much cap as you can.

Good ideas. Mario and Kyle are getting old and the front-7 frankly was not effective this year. We need to get new, real 3-4 personnel asap.

3. FA - I want us to clear the cap room to go after a few people. Two main guys I want us to push hard for is Wilkerson and Boone. Could care less how much $ we've spent on the D-Line because it hasn't worked. I want Wilkerson in a Bills uni wreaking havoc. Could care less if we just drafted Miller. Boone is a top tier RG who would go a loooong way to suring up the OL. Re-signing Incognito and Gilmore is a must. Re-sign Glenn and Hogan if possible. Bring back Brandon Spikes.

We still won't clear enough cap to make serious runs at free agents other than our own, though. Glenn and Incognito will cost quite a bit. Tyrod will most likely want a restructured deal that reflects what he accomplished this year. We don't need to negotiate with Gilmore since we can exercise the 5th year option. Hogan is good and it shouldn't cost too much to bring him back. Rambo is actually pretty important, if we can't bring him back we'll need to bump safety up in draft priority. Also depends on if A Williams can play again.

4. Draft:

1st, Laquon Treadwell/WR/Ole Miss because we need another good WR to help open up Watkins and Clay.

2nd, Sheldon Day/3-4DE/Notre Dame because he is just flat out disruptive.

3rd, Jason Spriggs/OT/Indiana because he would make for an excellent RT and he is the type of player Roman looks for on the OL.

4th, Cassanova McKinzy/ILB/Auburn because he is exactly the type of LB we need in the middle.

5th, Noah Spence/OLB/Eastern Kentucky transferred from Ohio St. because off field issues and has crushed his weaker opponents, but he was looking like a top tier talent when playing against Big 10 comp.

6th, Deon Bush/S/Miami is one of the more physical Safeties Rex is looking for.

7th, Cody Waldrop/OG-C/South Carolina would be an interior swing man for the OL.

I'd be willing to draft Treadwell if the draft fell a certain way, but IMO there are tons of OL/DL/LB prospects that would need to be gone. Bosa, Tunsil, Stanley, Jack, Buckner, Calhoun, Robinson, Billings, Ogbah, J Smith, etc. Like I said earlier about needing to get new front-7 personnel.

Our offense is explosive but lacks consistency because it can't reliably convert 3rd downs, so I think we could use a Welker/Edleman-type of possession WR more than another Watkins-type. Sterling Shepard from Oklahoma looks like he could fit the bill, and we could get him a couple rounds later.

I'd be willing to draft Treadwell if the draft fell a certain way, but IMO there are tons of OL/DL/LB prospects that would need to be gone. Bosa, Tunsil, Stanley, Jack, Buckner, Calhoun, Robinson, Billings, Ogbah, J Smith, etc. Like I said earlier about needing to get new front-7 personnel.

Our offense is explosive but lacks consistency because it can't reliably convert 3rd downs, so I think we could use a Welker/Edleman-type of possession WR more than another Watkins-type. Sterling Shepard from Oklahoma looks like he could fit the bill, and we could get him a couple rounds later.

I agree - refine the skill spots - no need to reinvent the wheel here. Need help on defense as they look old and slow.

Pettine's defense was historically bad against the run. He is not the answer.

I don't care if people think I'm crazy but I would not let McKelvin go.

Kyle, Bradham, Glenn, Felton, Harvin, Goodwin, Duke, Robey, Lawson, Thigpen, Carpenter, Gay, Koujo, and O'Leary should all be sent packing

Target an OT and WR in FA. The draft OT in first round. Then add a LB, G/C, DE, NT, and another LB via draft or FA.

Your crazy. Dumb players do dumb things to cost teams games & there is nobody that is dumber in the league than Mcdipshit. Okay maybe Duke Williams maybe dumber but that is about it.

& to the OP. Your changes sound reasonably solid, but instead of making those changes they could just make one change & that is for T Pegs to show that blowhard moron of a head coach we have the door & get a real head coach in here that knows how to properly utilize this teams talent.

Edited by Gordio

For me, I care more about the coaching issue than I do the players.

1. If the Bills lose the remaining games, all bets are off for Rex to survive for another season. I know some of you value continuity but there is a lot riding on the Bills to get over this playoff hump and start to be successful. You aren't going to get a stadium built with successive 8-8 Rex Ryan teams and nearing 20 years without playoffs.

2. No to Thurman. No to Pettine. As someone astutely stated, his defense isn't any better. Blitzed well but got gashed all the same.

3. If Rex stays, I anticipate a few of those assistants being fired. While the buck stops with Rex as the head coach, the assistants are in charge of their squads on the day to day basis. You need better teachers and leaders there. You start cleaning up the penalties and undisciplined play there.

I'm all for Rex staying IF someone gets on him about becoming more disciplined on his players and less of a "friend" or "likeable guy". If he can change that, I really think it can work. If he doesn't, I don't care how much our defense may improve with continuity and more familiarity with Rex's schemes, we will continue to lose games next year due to stupid penalties, guaranteed.

I'm for rex staying if he hires a 4-3 guy to run the def. We have a def and roster that is loaded with talent. Win now. This might be one of the biggest off seasons we've seen. A few guys that need some big contracts and a few guys that could get released. Rex is gonna have a hard time convincing terry at the end of the year meetings he is the man for the job when he came in talking the greatest defense ever and end up more towards the bottom than near the top.

Rex isn't going anywhere and neither is Dennis Thurman. Unless there's some extraneous info showing how he's divided the locker room to the point of a mutiny, then Rex deserves to at least finish his contract to bring us a playoff team.

I also expected a better result, but it's clear that you can't force your players to play a system that doesn't take advantages of their strengths.

Rex isn't going anywhere and neither is Dennis Thurman. Unless there's some extraneous info showing how he's divided the locker room to the point of a mutiny, then Rex deserves to at least finish his contract to bring us a playoff team.

I also expected a better result, but it's clear that you can't force your players to play a system that doesn't take advantages of their strengths.

You say this yet you want to keep Rex, who is solely responsible for putting the players in this situation? Do you imagine that he is going to change the habits of his whole career and let somebody else design the defense? As long as Rex is here he will be forcing his system. If he stays, there will be a fire sale on all the players who "don't fit." For one example, Dareus, who looked great in Schwartz's system, will look like a stiff. Mario will probably be axed. Bradham will be dumped. etc.

It's safe to say Rex is here to stay after just getting a 5 year deal. So, with that being said, this is what I hope for.

1. Fire Thurman and hire Pettine. Rex would be hands off with Pettine and we know he is a capable DC as he has done a good job with this team before.

2. In house - Restructure Mario and if that doesn't work then trade or release him. Restructure the oft injured Kyle Williams, trade, or release him. Bye Bradham(let him walk), bye McKelvin, adios Duke. Clear as much cap as you can.

3. FA - I want us to clear the cap room to go after a few people. Two main guys I want us to push hard for is Wilkerson and Boone. Could care less how much $ we've spent on the D-Line because it hasn't worked. I want Wilkerson in a Bills uni wreaking havoc. Could care less if we just drafted Miller. Boone is a top tier RG who would go a loooong way to suring up the OL. Re-signing Incognito and Gilmore is a must. Re-sign Glenn and Hogan if possible. Bring back Brandon Spikes.

4. Draft: 1st, Laquon Treadwell/WR/Ole Miss because we need another good WR to help open up Watkins and Clay. 2nd, Sheldon Day/3-4DE/Notre Dame because he is just flat out disruptive. 3rd, Jason Spriggs/OT/Indiana because he would make for an excellent RT and he is the type of player Roman looks for on the OL. 4th, Cassanova McKinzy/ILB/Auburn because he is exactly the type of LB we need in the middle. 5th, Noah Spence/OLB/Eastern Kentucky transferred from Ohio St. because off field issues and has crushed his weaker opponents, but he was looking like a top tier talent when playing against Big 10 comp. 6th, Deon Bush/S/Miami is one of the more physical Safeties Rex is looking for. 7th, Cody Waldrop/OG-C/South Carolina would be an interior swing man for the OL.

These moves on the staff, in FA, and yhe draft would have us serious contenders for the immediate future. An OL of Glenn, Incognito, Wood, Boone, and Spriggs would be the best we've seen since the 90's. A front 7 of Wilkerson, Dareus, Day, Hughes, McKinzy/Spikes/Brown(2 of the 3), and Spence on defense to go with Gilmore, Darby, Rambo, and AW(hopefully). The streak would be over.

Rex has a 5 year guaranteed contract. What if Pegs tells him to get rid of a few coaching buddies? What if he refuses. Is Pegs still on the hoof for the full 5 years if Rex refuses his order? I think Wade won his suit with Ralph. Does anyone remember ?