POLL: Fire Rex and/or Whaley?

dtgolder

Should we fire Rex and Whaley?  

359 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Pegulas release Rex and/or Whaley?

• Fire Rex now; keep Whaley
    • Fire Whaley now; keep Rex
    • Fire both Rex and Whaley
    • Keep both Rex and Whaley

I've been over Rex for quite a while, given the lack of character of this team and the penalties. I think Whaley also has made some poor decisions.

I'm ready to cut bait on both and start over...not sure who is out there now, or who might be available after the end of the season, but for me the team is definitely headed in the wrong direction.

Anyone else ready to dump Rex and crew? Would love to hear opinions, and who else might be out there that could help.

Just hate to see us squandering the talent that is on this team with a coach and GM that can't cut the mustard.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex isn't getting fired after one year. I think there is potential for Whaley to not get an extension,because typically GMs get them before their contract is up and he didn't (yet). But he's here another year at least IMO. He probably didn't get one yet because the Pegulas didn't hire him and want to evaluate him first. So to me he is 50/50 to be done next year but I think both are back in 2016.

Edited by YoloinOhio

That would be the worst thing that could happen. All the Bills ever do is chase their tail around riding the GM/Coach/Assistant/QB carousel. For once stay the course and make the needed adjustments.

Yeah it sucks this year was so inconsistent, but there are a lot of good pieces in place and I'm sure Rex will get this defense back to being in the top 10 soon. Don't overreact and start over again.

That would be the worst thing that could happen. All the Bills ever do is chase their tail around riding the GM/Coach/Assistant/QB carousel. For once stay the course and make the needed adjustments.

Yeah it sucks this year was so inconsistent, but there are a lot of good pieces in place and I'm sure Rex will get this defense back to being in the top 10 soon. Don't overreact and start over again.

Yep. The inconsistency in leadership and direction is a big part of the problem. No choice now but to stay the course and adjust and improve.

Unfortunately you have to give them 1 more chance to get it right. They didn't find their QB until the week of their first game and then he was injured for 2 games. If anything I would say demote Dennis Thurman and tell Rex he has the D and Roman has the O. If they suck again on D next year then you have a case for firing Rex

I've been over Rex for quite a while, given the lack of character of this team and the penalties. I think Whaley also has made some poor decisions.

I'm ready to cut bait on both and start over...not sure who is out there now, or who might be available after the end of the season, but for me the team is definitely headed in the wrong direction.

Anyone else ready to dump Rex and crew? Would love to hear opinions, and who else might be out there that could help.

Just hate to see us squandering the talent that is on this team with a coach and GM that can't cut the mustard.

It's a dumb poll because it has no basis in reality. Perhaps Whaley is in jeopardy but not Rex. So what's the point?

Ryan isn't going to be fired, but Whaley might not make it. I think Whaley is good, Rex is bad.

Continuity is very important, so they need to work around that.

How about a new Defensive Coordinator, who is given lots of power? Groom him to take over while Ryan's contract runs on for a few years. Essentially, undermine Ryan, and just let him be the "player's coach". Ryan can do the interviews, handle the general duties of a head coach, and eat the chicken wings, and handle the parachuting, while the new up-and-comer molds the defense.

I think Marv Levy let his coordinators have pretty free reign. It would free up Rex to study up on game management decisions, so he could improve that weak aspect of his game.

Edited by HoF Watkins

One thing I don't understand is why so many HC contracts are guaranteed. Teams put themselves in a tough spot if a recently hired coach doesn't do well and then you're on the hook for 2-3 more years of salary. No idea what Rex's deal looks like but if it's a typical guaranteed deal, he'll be expensive to replace anytime soon. I think most think he's underachieving with the player talent he has to work with.

The penalties and undisciplined play say everything I need to know about Rex.

Can Rex get better as a coach/game manager? Probably (certainly there is a lot of room for improvement)

But--he won't change his (or his team's) lack of character. And without character we will never have a winning team.

If you can see it now (and it's been evident throught Rex's past coaching stints) why wait another one (or two or three) years before releasing him?

Time to move on...I've certainly seen enough....