Just watched 2014 highlight reel. We were better.

and in the games we lost - the wide 9 was exposed by fast shifty backs who expose the gaps it creates - or accurate QBs who get the ball out quickly and exploit the predictability of it (man coverage a lot of the time - really easy to read if its 1 or 2 high safeties - linebackers line up with who theyre covering).

wow, way to completely disregard the #4 team in total defense, and #1 team in sacks in the NFL last year who also shut down greats like Aaron Rodgers, and Peyton Manning in respective weeks...

That Oakland game was lost because of a 3rd and 22 in which Carr threw a 51 yard strike, and followed it up with a TD to win. The Bills might have been taking a 2-12 team far to lightly while looking at the next game against the Patriots. In which they shut down Brady who went 8 of 16 for 80 yards, and was pulled in the second half so he wouldn't get injured for the playoffs.

There is no excuse in this world for going from #1 in sacks 2014, #2 in sacks 2013, and to now going 30th in sacks, sack percentage, and defensive hurries. Games were lost this year because of the lack of pressure on opposing QB's, and the Bills defense that couldn't stop opposing QB's in the second half of games this year.

The biggest difference I can see from the couch is that we don't play that Wide Nine scheme on the Dline this year.

Mario and Hughes were way out on the ends and it forced the offensive tackles to rotate out more. In effect "bending" the line as Schwartz called it, so that there was more space in between the guards and the tackles on both sides.

Dareus and Kyle took advantage of the gaps created by the wide nine, as they're both so good at that first step and slicing through the holes and disrupting.

That to me seems to be the difference. Searcy and Spikes are gone, but we've added a stud corner in Darby who is playing at least as well as Leodis did last year. Gilmore even better.

I can't help but think the Wide Nine would take better advantage of our front four, even with Kyle gone.

It would, no question about it. Having Mario, and Hughes lineup outside the OT causes all sorts of blocking problems for the opposing offense, and is a big reason why the Bills had so many sacks.

Bills fans will always blindly defend the current coaches no matter how inept they are, and going from 4th overall to 20th is an enormous drop off. Last years defense was a playoff caliber defense, and this years is Dave Wannstedt, George Edwards frustratingly bad with a defense loaded with talent!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is 100% a system issue folks. Last year, the Bills sent 4-5 guys at the quarterback on almost every play/down. This year, I watch Rex send 3. Guys like Mario and Marcel are being dropped back into coverage. It's utter stupidity. To boot, Rex RECOGNIZED that it was a problem. That was 3 games ago. During the last two games, same **** different day. When 5 or 6 are blocking 3 rushers and one of those rushers isn't Mario or Marcel (or both), that's a problem. It's a system problem no doubt. Rex is almost ignoring the players that he has and instead suggesting that they SYSTEM is what makes his defense successful. Ridiculous.

The defense was so much better last year. That's the difference. We had over 50 sacks, and were pretty frightening. This year, we seem to be playing dipsy doodle out there, and aren't sacking anybody. We beat the NFC Central last year. We beat the Packers. This year we lost to Jacksonville. WTH. Whatever magic Rex has brought to the defense has not worked whatsoever. He said we'd have the best defense in the league. We were 4th last year. We are in the bottom half this year.

Our offense is slightly better. Our defense is substantially worse. We're lucky to be alive in this race.

I don't think the athletes are the problem. I'm certain it's the lousy coaching. Rex thinks he's the king, but he has a lot to learn.

What I can't get over is the fact that Rex has stated in multiple press conferences that we shouldn't worry because he knows exactly where this team and the defense will end up at the end of the year.. I'm starting to think he knew all along that the defense would suck...

wow, way to completely disregard the #4 team in total defense, and #1 team in sacks in the NFL last year who also shut down greats like Aaron Rodgers, and Peyton Manning in respective weeks...

That Oakland game was lost because of a 3rd and 22 in which Carr threw a 51 yard strike, and followed it up with a TD to win. The Bills might have been taking a 2-12 team far to lightly while looking at the next game against the Patriots. In which they shut down Brady who went 8 of 16 for 80 yards, and was pulled in the second half so he wouldn't get injured for the playoffs.

There is no excuse in this world for going from #1 in sacks 2014, #2 in sacks 2013, and to now going 30th in sacks, sack percentage, and defensive hurries. Games were lost this year because of the lack of pressure on opposing QB's, and the Bills defense that couldn't stop opposing QB's in the second half of games this year.

It would, no question about it. Having Mario, and Hughes lineup outside the OT causes all sorts of blocking problems for the opposing offense, and is a big reason why the Bills had so many sacks.

Bills fans will always blindly defend the current coaches no matter how inept they are, and going from 4th overall to 20th is an enormous drop off. Last years defense was a playoff caliber defense, and this years is Dave Wannstedt, George Edwards frustratingly bad with a defense loaded with talent!

Look at the 4 best defensive games we played last year -

Jets
Browns
Jets
Texans
Probably like 12 turnovers in those games, and like 15-20 sacks. That's a lot of stuff against 4 bad offenses. It tends to even out over a season.
Look, i'll agree we played better last year - but we weren't this all world defense. That was 1999. This team's missing something, and part of me thinks they need a better on field signal caller. They seem late and confused far too often, and that can't all be on the HC/DC.
Edited by dneveu

face it. the team was 8-8 last year. the meaningless NE game wouldn't have been won if the Pats needed it. We lost a must-win in Oakland. We lost to the Texans whom we just beat. You should be focusing on the fact that we were barely hanging on last year with 50 sacks. That's !@#$ing pitiful.

This is a good take.

Consider too that two of our wins involved kyle Orton converting on 4th and 20s on the final drive. If he doesn't complete those and Brady plays in week 17, then we are 6-10.

Look at the 4 best defensive games we played last year -

Jets
Browns
Jets
Texans
Probably like 12 turnovers in those games, and like 15-20 sacks. That's a lot of stuff against 4 bad offenses. It tends to even out over a season.
Look, i'll agree we played better last year - but we weren't this all world defense. That was 1999. This team's missing something, and part of me thinks they need a better on field signal caller. They seem late and confused far too often, and that can't all be on the HC/DC.

Funny how two of those games you mention were against the 2014 NY Jets 2x, and were coached by the same HC / DC that is screwing up this years defense. Late and confused is exactly how that Jets team look last year!!

So, who takes the fall, or blame for this years defense if not the guy who adamantly refuses to change his scheme that hasn't been generating pressure on the QB for most of the season! 30th in QB pressures!

Look! Going from 1st to 30th in sacks isn't just bad, its unbelievable bad! You also seem to forget that the Bills were #2 in the NFL in sacks in 2013 too, and actually had more sacks that year then last year.

Last years 2014 defense was all world in being #4 in total defense. They were also #3 against the pass, (It is a passing league right?) and this years team with the probable DRotY in Ron Darby at CB the Bills are 23rd. Again, a huge drop off.

Some of us were expecting greatness from this years defense, and not excuses!!

This is 100% a system issue folks. Last year, the Bills sent 4-5 guys at the quarterback on almost every play/down. This year, I watch Rex send 3. Guys like Mario and Marcel are being dropped back into coverage. It's utter stupidity. To boot, Rex RECOGNIZED that it was a problem. That was 3 games ago. During the last two games, same **** different day. When 5 or 6 are blocking 3 rushers and one of those rushers isn't Mario or Marcel (or both), that's a problem. It's a system problem no doubt. Rex is almost ignoring the players that he has and instead suggesting that they SYSTEM is what makes his defense successful.

Ridiculous.

This +1000 It is ridiculous!

You want to see the epitome of ridiculous just go back and watch that first Patriot game this year where Ryan had his secondary playing ten yards off the line, and rushed only four. Then at times rushing only three while dropping his elite pass rushers into pass coverage. Brady scorched the Bills D for a franchise record 466 passing yards allowed.

Even Rex admitted after the game it was the wrong game plan against Brady. He has been saying all year he knows he has a problem with the defense, and yet it doesn't get fixed. One game this year the defense looked like its old self from last year, and that was in the second game against NE where Brady was under pressure 20 of his 40 drop backs. So we know he can effectively blitz to win, and yet chooses not to.

it is revisionist history how people glorify last year's D. They were stat kings and had a few really good performances, but in the afc games they needed to win for playoff contention they fell apart.

Yup.

And if Jordie Nelson doesn't drop that pass from Aaron Rodgers, I think people see that Green Bay game differently.

People/fans were really talking after the Bills defense "shut down" Peyton Manning. Seeing how Peyton has played these past 2 seasons, is it really special that they were able to stop him? I don't think it is anymore. Plus, they ran all over the Bills. On their first possession the Broncos went 3 and out. Great. Then Peyton completed one long pass to Welker and CJ Anderson ran it down the Bills throats with runs of 6, 6 and a TD on 6 yards. Next Broncos possession, Peyton throws a pick. Next after that the Broncos run again, and score a TD. Last possession before the half the Broncos had a chance to score but Tamme fumbles on the 10 yard line. Next possession came after the half and what did the Broncos do? They ran it and scored. Broncos up 21-3.

Now, if this game happened this year, would anyone be talking about how "dominant" the Bills defense was? No, they'd be complaining about it. Sure Peytons stats look like crap and they effectively shut him down but the Bills did not come close to turning in a good or even great performance. They allowed 3 rushing TDs and had no sacks on Peyton.

This is our biggest issue IMHO. The LB's as a whole are not doing as well.

The offense is definitely better. Tyrod Taylor is much better than any of us thought he would be.

The defense is definitely worse. Don't forget Aaron and Kyle Williams have been out most of the season. That is a big loss. Plus, I think the LB's over-achieved last year too.

Team disciple is definitely worse. It's reflected in a ridiculous amount of penalties . Marrone ran a tight, Ryan a loose one.

Bottum line is Rex has had more talent on offense and less on defense due to injury. The schedule looks favorable to make the playoffs but the Bills are just an average team folks.

Keep rolling in this direction and we will do well! Next year the new pieces will be installed to improve the D and Tyrod will get some new targets in the off season.

Comparing the stats for the Offense to last season. Granted the season has 4 games left, I would think that the nominal ranking should stand as a viable number.

2015 # 17 - Tyrod, Shady, Karlos, Sammy, Clay

PPG 24.7 (10th), YPG 350.7 (17th), First downs 221 (28th), Passing Attempts 356 (30th), Passing Yards 2517 (18th), 64.3 % Completion ratio

2014 # 26 - Orton, CJ, Fred, Sammy, Chandler

PPG 21.4 (18th), YPG 318.5 (26th), First downs 273 (28th), Passing Attempts 579 (18th), Passing Yards 2517 (29th), 62.7 % Completion ratio

As it is year after year, the Defense has a great game and the Offense falters, the Offense has a great game and the Defense falters.

Edited by NOVABillsFan

Blah blah blah blah. The NFL changes from year to year. Making comparisons like that is not accurate. Thinking shutting down Peyton last year was some HUGE accomplishment, now he's not even best QB on his team.

By beating the NFC North, are you referring to us barely beating all 4 of those teams last year?

Players aren't some automatic number on a piece of paper, sometimes players play better one year than the other. System may have something to do with it too, but execution is also part of the problem.

Rex's system is complex and it has taken some time for the players to adjust. Also, injuries have been a big factor. Mario has missed multiple games, K Williams has missed a bunch of games, A Williams has missed most of the year, McKelvin also a lot of the year. You can't just plug other guys in and expect the exact same results.

The offense is MUCH better than last year. Bills were held under 20 points 8 times last year(half their games), and scored more than 25 points only 4 times.

This year, they have been held under 20 points only 3 times and scored over 25 points 6 times already...

I don't care about yards, I care about points. You don't get wins by getting more yards than the other team, you get wins by getting more points than the other team, although we also are averaging more than 30 yards a game above last years totals on yards as well...

the only issue is the defense has regressed just as much as the offense has improved, which leads us to a net gain of near zero...very disappointing.

This is it.

I was excited to see what Rex would do with this D. I'm not excited anymore and am officially off the Rex bandwagon. He single-handedly transformed a great D into a mediocre one.

Nate Hackett was better than fans gave him credit for. If Marrone didn't lord over him, I would have been interested to see what he would have come up with.

Maybe so. Maybe not.

How do you know how much of last year's ineptitude can be assigned to Hackett and how much to Marrone?

if my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle

LMFAO :doh:

I fully agree, last year's defense was a crap ton better. Rex is so full of himself that he won't just concede to the notion that he doesn't need drop Marcell Dareus into coverage and send 2 and 3 guys rushing at a time. Truth is it's all about Rex not the Bills.

The defense was so much better last year. That's the difference. We had over 50 sacks, and were pretty frightening. This year, we seem to be playing dipsy doodle out there, and aren't sacking anybody. We beat the NFC Central last year. We beat the Packers. This year we lost to Jacksonville. WTH. Whatever magic Rex has brought to the defense has not worked whatsoever. He said we'd have the best defense in the league. We were 4th last year. We are in the bottom half this year.

Our offense is slightly better. Our defense is substantially worse. We're lucky to be alive in this race.

I don't think the athletes are the problem. I'm certain it's the lousy coaching. Rex thinks he's the king, but he has a lot to learn.

Pretty sure everyone knows this.