Just watched 2014 highlight reel. We were better.

The biggest difference I can see from the couch is that we don't play that Wide Nine scheme on the Dline this year.

Mario and Hughes were way out on the ends and it forced the offensive tackles to rotate out more. In effect "bending" the line as Schwartz called it, so that there was more space in between the guards and the tackles on both sides.

Dareus and Kyle took advantage of the gaps created by the wide nine, as they're both so good at that first step and slicing through the holes and disrupting.

That to me seems to be the difference. Searcy and Spikes are gone, but we've added a stud corner in Darby who is playing at least as well as Leodis did last year. Gilmore even better.

I can't help but think the Wide Nine would take better advantage of our front four, even with Kyle gone.

It also capitalized on what brown and bradham accel at, shedding blocks and hitting RBs in the hole. It funneled the runs inside and led to a lot less read and react stuff. With Rex's scheme the front 4 who excel at attacking, penetrating and funneling stuff inside are occupying space. Just watch Dareus stand up at NT and sit there eating blockers. Thats what you do with Vince wilfork, not with warren sapp!

Really the whole thing stinks of a scheme personnel mismatch and a failure of a coach to recognize very basic fundamental performance patterns and adjust to them.

Think about it- the prior scheme put Mario, Kyle and Dareus in the pro bowl and Jerry Hughes in the conversation. None of these guys should even be remotely in this conversation this year based on lackluster performance.

Brown, Bradham who were fantastic last year look lost.

I've head all the excuses, the media trying to gloss it over, Schopp trying to stir the pot by saying its unreasonable to expect them to be good again...

None of it washes. Schwarz was a perfect match for this front seven... Rex has marginalized them to one of the NFLs worst. To deny it is delusional, blind, baseless and flat out wrong.

This is 100% a system issue folks. Last year, the Bills sent 4-5 guys at the quarterback on almost every play/down. This year, I watch Rex send 3. Guys like Mario and Marcel are being dropped back into coverage. It's utter stupidity. To boot, Rex RECOGNIZED that it was a problem. That was 3 games ago. During the last two games, same **** different day. When 5 or 6 are blocking 3 rushers and one of those rushers isn't Mario or Marcel (or both), that's a problem. It's a system problem no doubt. Rex is almost ignoring the players that he has and instead suggesting that they SYSTEM is what makes his defense successful. Ridiculous.

I will grant that with his "system" they can cut Mario, Dareus and Hughes. Any middling fat Schlubb can stand in Dareus's spot and eat space, And Lawson can rush the passer and drop into coverage. Look at that... Just saved 25 mil in the cap and still have a top 32 defense. Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also capitalized on what brown and bradham accel at, shedding blocks and hitting RBs in the hole. It funneled the runs inside and led to a lot less read and react stuff. With Rex's scheme the front 4 who excel at attacking, penetrating and funneling stuff inside are occupying space. Just watch Dareus stand up at NT and sit there eating blockers. Thats what you do with Vince wilfork, not with warren sapp!

Really the whole thing stinks of a scheme personnel mismatch and a failure of a coach to recognize very basic fundamental performance patterns and adjust to them.

Think about it- the prior scheme put Mario, Kyle and Dareus in the pro bowl and Jerry Hughes in the conversation. None of these guys should even be remotely in this conversation this year based on lackluster performance.

I've head all the excuses, the media trying to gloss it over, Schopp trying to stir the pot by saying its unreasonable to expect them to be good again...

None of it washes. Schwarz was a perfect match for this front seven... Rex has marginalized them to one of the NFLs worst. To deny it is delusional, blind, baseless and flat out wrong.

I will grant that with his "system" they can cut Mario, Dareus and Hughes. Any middling fat Schlubb can stand in Dareus's spot and eat space, And Lawson can rush the passer and drop into coverage. Look at that... Just saved 25 mil in the cap and still have a top 32 defense.

Man, this sums it up so well, and I just don't get why other fans can't see this after so many games of this garbage. All they need do is watch the D line.

Last years defense would have been even better with this years run first offense that would keep the defense fresher, and off the field. Meanwhile it would allow the offense more chances to stay on the field, and score even more points. 10th in the NFL in points this year.

What a waste of an entire year that could have been so much better then struggling to stay in the race when they could be leading it. Last years defense only allowed 289 points all season, and this years has already allowed 278 with four games to go.

I just saw a 2014 highlight reel and realized it was a highlight reel and our defense did not have as many injuries as this year.

P.S. There seem to be a few people on this board and in the media that like propogating the anti Rex narrative.

Man, this sums it up so well, and I just don't get why other fans can't see this after so many games of this garbage. All they need do is watch the D line.

Last years defense would have been even better with this years run first offense that would keep the defense fresher, and off the field. Meanwhile it would allow the offense more chances to stay on the field, and score even more points. 10th in the NFL in points this year.

What a waste of an entire year that could have been so much better then struggling to stay in the race when they could be leading it. Last years defense only allowed 289 points all season, and this years has already allowed 278 with four games to go.

Remember Aaron Williams kyle Williams and non fat Mario Williams? What about searcy? He was good. Well plug in an old corner and duke Williams can step in if needed. Hes not utterly clueless. Or Rambo, who's a ud fa and largely hit or miss. We lost our best 2 rotational backups in camp, one who Rex was rotating in with the 1s. No big deal at all.

Exact same defense right?? We added Darby so we should be better! Cmon man... Injuries happen and have a pretty big effect on what ur trying to do sometimes.

Rex has put up a couple stinkers sure, but I thought Houston was a pretty good game for our guys. It's clear were gonna struggle with 2nd and 3rd string linebackers and safeties in this system.

And Mario should keep it out of the media, he's playing poorly and needs to own that.

I just saw a 2014 highlight reel and realized it was a highlight reel and our defense did not have as many injuries as this year.

P.S. There seem to be a few people on this board and in the media that like propogating the anti Rex narrative.

I saw a 2014 highlight reel of Orton and man he was fantastic! Our offense is only slightly better. :lol:

Remember Aaron Williams kyle Williams and non fat Mario Williams? What about searcy? He was good. Well plug in an old corner and duke Williams can step in if needed. Hes not utterly clueless. Or Rambo, who's a ud fa and largely hit or miss. We lost our best 2 rotational backups in camp, one who Rex was rotating in with the 1s. No big deal at all.

Exact same defense right?? We added Darby so we should be better! Cmon man... Injuries happen and have a pretty big effect on what ur trying to do sometimes.

Rex has put up a couple stinkers sure, but I thought Houston was a pretty good game for our guys. It's clear were gonna struggle with 2nd and 3rd string linebackers and safeties in this system.

And Mario should keep it out of the media, he's playing poorly and needs to own that.

You are one of the few that just don't see whats happening on the field or would rather dig up multiple excuses for a bad scheme! Its not the players because when Ryan wants to blitz this year they are usually successful in getting pressure on the QB. The main problem is he isn't blitzing very often, and prefers gap control for his DT's, period!

Even the last game against the Patriots when Ryan brought pressure on 50% of the defensive plays without Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Aaron Williams the Bills defense was able to get tremendous pressure on Tom Brady all game long, and so much so he was screaming at his O line. The Bills brought pressure on 20 of 40 snaps. The Bills lost that game because the offense couldn't score more then 13 points.

You do realize that in that game the Buffalo Bills managed to hold the number one scoring offense at that time to just 20 points, and that point total is still the lowest the Patriots have scored all year.

I have no idea why you keep defending this HC, and his current defensive scheme. I'm just glad that the majority of the fans see things differently then you do. I've argued with you enough times over the current defensive struggles, and have come to the conclusion that some fans will just blindly defend their team no matter what. I'm sure Jauron, Gailey, and Marrone had their supporters too. I won't be responding to any more dneveu posts, so will forever have the floor.

The defense was under-performing even when all the guys were out there. Plus this season they have Darby. Every team has injuries.

Injuries are not the reason for the drop off...it's Ryan.

His NY Jets defense's were never sack machines, and he has always had problems with getting players to be disciplined. His "scheme" doesn't suit the players here.

True... jerry hughes is too light in the butt for rex. Look at his line last year-2 years ago, they were all space eating 300 puond guys. Out strengthing people. This line wants to go. EVEN 295 pound Mario Williams goes and gets them. Kyle is so low to the ground. And so base strong. He has been probably as unblockable as hughes. I honestly dont think the light should be out on him. He is still a killer. Rex should take a page out of pettines book --how about that-- hell bring him in after cleveland makes lunch meat out of him. I think its all scheme. The players are running the plays that are called i bet. It just doesnt fit here

If we were even close to the defense of last year, we would be 8-4 right now. That in a nutshell is why everyone is frustrated. The offense isn't perfect, but it's better than last year, and some of the players most notably TT and Shady are reasons to be excited.

Please dont forget Sammy

Nate Hackett was better than fans gave him credit for. If Marrone didn't lord over him, I would have been interested to see what he would have come up with.

I would have loved to see his work. Just not with this cast. Like the defense, too much talent to let it go to waste.

This is 100% a system issue folks. Last year, the Bills sent 4-5 guys at the quarterback on almost every play/down. This year, I watch Rex send 3. Guys like Mario and Marcel are being dropped back into coverage. It's utter stupidity. To boot, Rex RECOGNIZED that it was a problem. That was 3 games ago. During the last two games, same **** different day. When 5 or 6 are blocking 3 rushers and one of those rushers isn't Mario or Marcel (or both), that's a problem. It's a system problem no doubt. Rex is almost ignoring the players that he has and instead suggesting that they SYSTEM is what makes his defense successful. Ridiculous.

With this collection of guys... its utterly maddening

This is a good take.

Consider too that two of our wins involved kyle Orton converting on 4th and 20s on the final drive. If he doesn't complete those and Brady plays in week 17, then we are 6-10.

I agree with that too

I will grant that with his "system" they can cut Mario, Dareus and Hughes. Any middling fat Schlubb can stand in Dareus's spot and eat space, And Lawson can rush the passer and drop into coverage. Look at that... Just saved 25 mil in the cap and still have a top 32 defense.

Lol a top 32 defense.... i knew you were a glass half full guy.

Another guy that's missing on defense aside from the injuries we have faced? Brandon Spikes. I think he was more valuable than we thought as well.

In this defense. He wouldnt have mattered. He was a run stuffer. And all they do now is stuff the run. He was in my opinion a big reason why Dareus earned that money. I cant count how many times he acted like the 5th member of the line. He very often times would take up a center or guard and leave the other 4 to 1 on 1 battles which left opposing linemen trying to hold on to their jock.