Spotrac calculates Taylor's current value through 10 games

YoloinOhio

This is a great way to guarantee the Bills suck for a few more years. Get rid of the good QB and draft a second rounder and expect him to just step on the field and play like Taylor has. I can't :doh: myself enough over this one.

He said play him through 2016. Do you read posts or do you just have a Mad Libs "This Team is the Best and the Fans Are The Worst?"

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He said play him through 2016. Do you read posts or do you just have a Mad Libs "This Team is the Best and the Fans Are The Worst?"

Apparently you don't read posts either. 2016 is Tyrod's contract year. Bloke is arguing to wait until Tyrod is a free agent to decide if he's worth extending, and I'm arguing that's a way bigger risk that signing him early. Bloke apparently thinks TT is replaceable by some 2nd round pick.

This assumes that Bloke and you have the same goal: making the Bills a contender. I wonder about that sometimes.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Apparently you don't read posts either. 2016 is Tyrod's contract year. Bloke is arguing to wait until Tyrod is a free agent to decide if he's worth extending, and I'm arguing that's a way bigger risk that signing him early.

Waiting until he's a FA isn't smart. You at least need to franchise him to make sure you don't lose him/for nothing. But again as I said, I'd wait until mid-season next year and if he's still playing well, offer what Spotrac suggests.

This is a great way to guarantee the Bills suck for a few more years. Get rid of the good QB and draft a second rounder and expect him to just step on the field and play like Taylor has. I can't :doh: myself enough over this one. Tell me you're just trolling and are not serious?

Potentially good. Thus far, he is 10 games of capturing lightning in a bottle. Longevity with the style of QB that Tyrod is has always been an issue. Russell Wilson is the main exception to the rule because he has an astonishing arm and can work from the pocket. I have not seen Tyrod do nearly enough to suggest that he is the answer. The idea that "good enough" just isn't good enough.

I am playing Devil's Advocate, not trolling. I have a very clear idea of what I want and how I would approach it. That differs from your approach and that's fine. You're completely entitled to your opinion as I am. It seems clear that we won't find some middle ground and I'll leave it at this for now.

Apparently you don't read posts either. 2016 is Tyrod's contract year. Bloke is arguing to wait until Tyrod is a free agent to decide if he's worth extending, and I'm arguing that's a way bigger risk that signing him early. Bloke apparently thinks TT is replaceable by some 2nd round pick.

This assumes that Bloke and you have the same goal: making the Bills a contender. I wonder about that sometimes.

No you're not. You said he said "let him walk." He didn't. He says if he proves it in 2016, he'd write him a blank cheque. If he doesn't. we'd have a drafted guy in the 2nd as insurance.

I wonder how you can see my posts when you said I'm on your ignore list. :nana:

People need to let these things play out. We have four games left. If we win all four it's a no brainer he gets an extension. If we win three it's a pretty good chance. If we win two there is a very good chance we go into next season without an extension at all and wait and see. If we lose all four we are probably back to the drawing board but I very much doubt that is what is going to happen.

And of course the QB is not the only player on the team so those are very flexible and tentative prognostications. But the point is, we still don't know a lot about this season let alone next.

People need to let these things play out. We have four games left. If we win all four it's a no brainer he gets an extension. If we win three it's a pretty good chance. If we win two there is a very good chance we go into next season without an extension at all and wait and see. If we lose all four we are probably back to the drawing board but I very much doubt that is what is going to happen.

And of course the QB is not the only player on the team so those are very flexible and tentative prognostications. But the point is, we still don't know a lot about this season let alone next.

It is next season I'd like to see before biting a bullet.

I've seen enough to say it is a good probability that he will get his deal, but I personally would be cautious.

Got it now. So you offer him a 4-year $82.77M extension, which when added to 2016 turns into a 5-year $83.77M deal, or $16.75M/year.

If structured like Wilson's deal and assuming the same numbers, you'd be looking at an outlay of about $44M over the first two years, including a SB of $31M. And you've committed to him for 3 years minimum since you won't be able to cut him before then if he doesn't perform well. I don't think he's earned that kind of deal yet.

If structured like Wilson's deal and assuming the same numbers, you'd be looking at an outlay of about $44M over the first two years, including a SB of $31M. And you've committed to him for 3 years minimum since you won't be able to cut him before then if he doesn't perform well. I don't think he's earned that kind of deal yet.

One thing about him though. Even if he totally tanks in the next month and next year, he's already proven to be a very good backup. A good backup in this league is worth 4-5m alone.

The mistake the article makes is in looking only at averages. You can't compare the averages of a player who has started 10 games with those of a player who has started 3-4 seasons and say, "they match up statistically." There is no way TT gets the same deal that Wilson just got. At least not yet. Wilson is a SB winning QB who has led his team to the big game twice. TT, while very promising, hasn't proven anything yet.

They might well give him a bump in pay this offseason but there is no way in hell they give him a deal worth $21M per season (4th highest in the league according to the article) at this stage of his career. Let the guy prove he can do it multiple seasons and he can be relied on to win games when they need him to chuck it around before you dole out that kind of cash.

If they do give him a deal that appears to be big it had better be with a small portion guaranteed and most of it can be collected with incentives.

The sample size just isn't worth investing in yet. We've been here before, he has to play enough to be given the chance to fail.

If he comes back for a second season and continues to improve, fine. I just don't see how it's anything but lunacy to give that to someone who has started 10 games.

The website used age to compare the players which I believe is a total mistake. The key factor should be experience (i.e. games played). Taylor has shown promise, but he is far from earning a monster contract. Some of the comparisons played in Super Bowls and conference championships. This lumping of Taylor into the mix is a joke!

If the premise is in error, then the conclusion based on the faulty premise is erroneous. This is a poor argument for paying Taylor $21 million per year. Garbage in, garbage out.

The website used age to compare the players which I believe is a total mistake. The key factor should be experience (i.e. games played). Taylor has shown promise, but he is far from earning a monster contract. Some of the comparisons played in Super Bowls and conference championships. This lumping of Taylor into the mix is a joke!

If the premise is in error, then the conclusion based on the faulty premise is erroneous. This is a poor argument for paying Taylor $21 million per year. Garbage in, garbage out.

I don't see anyway that he gets that contract now. I agree with that. The really debate amongst us is what is the value today (or at least at the end of the year)? Are you better off getting him at that amount based on the smaller sample size or wait until the middle of next year for a larger sample size and a potentially larger contract? I think that most (not all) think that if you can get a team friendly deal (like Foles) you would do it. That doesn't seem realistic either but this time from Tyrod's perspective. It really is a matter of risk/reward. The larger the sample size and more sure that you are that he is the guy -the higher the contract. There is a middle ground there that is what the Bills (and Tyrod) have to be considering.

With respect to how the organization reacts to TT's contract situation it is more about how he plays than what the team's record ends up being. If he demonstrates that he is a very capable qb despite how the other units perform he will warrant a lucrative contract. As an example for the sake of making a point (a point you make) if the Rex defense collapses and we lose the rest of the games while TT plays very well I believe Whaley will want to lock him up sooner rather than later.

As far as I am concerned it is more important for the near future success of this franchise to have TT play at a high level and become a franchise qb than it is for the team to barely qualify for a wild-card playoff spot this year. Getting the qb position secured is an accomplishment that hasn't for a generation happened for this franchise. That would be something to build on.

When Tryod throws for 300 yards in a game (which he hasn't done yet), then we should talk about signing him to an extension.

Oh yeah like Matt Flynn!! That's a great measuring stick of irrelevancy. The team is 6-0 when he attempts less that 30 passes (believe that's the number). He has one of the highest rating and yards per attempt so he isn't checking down. Big yardage games will mean that our game plan isn't working. Tyrod is being treated like RW and Big Ben were in their first years (but has played much better). He is being asked to control the ball and score points. That's what he should be judged on. How well is he doing the job that he has been asked to do? That's all that matters.

When Tryod throws for 300 yards in a game (which he hasn't done yet), then we should talk about signing him to an extension.

Oh yeah like Matt Flynn!! That's a great measuring stick of irrelevancy. The team is 6-0 when he attempts less that 30 passes (believe that's the number). He has one of the highest rating and yards per attempt so he isn't checking down. Big yardage games will mean that our game plan isn't working. Tyrod is being treated like RW and Big Ben were in their first years (but has played much better). He is being asked to control the ball and score points. That's what he should be judged on. How well is he doing the job that he has been asked to do? That's all that matters.

Did you know Russell Wilson has thrown for 300+ yards 6 times in 68 starts? That's just under 1 time every 11 games. He also only did it once his first year starting, and it was in a playoff loss.