Roman should spread 'em and shred 'em

BackInDaDay

just a thought..

considering our weapons, our injuries, and the Texans resurgent D - the best way to neutralize their attacking style, may be to take a page of what's been effective against us - play quickly out of 3, 4, 5 receiver sets. if our O line could stand the strain, our split ends could beat their press, and Tyrod could hit horizontal short routes running to open space - including the middle of the field! - it may be an effective plan that forces them to adjust to us, early.

we can't live on the boundaries this game.. there's no way Taylor will have the time he had against KC to set those up.. i expect him to be flushed within 3 seconds of getting the ball in his hands. they're gonna come hard, and we have to set them back on their heels. our usual 'trap and counter' game will be chewed up in the backfield before we can get numbers laterally and upfield. why waste McCoy in there until Crennel backs off.. and don't waste time chipping Watt and Clowney.. flex Clay and/or Gragg wide enough to get into their routes or downfield blocks without getting caught in traffic. just get the damn ball out!

maybe we can't execute this, but if Roman doesn't get them before they get us - it's gonna be one big $hitball * rolling downhill fast.

note * - apologies to mr lahey

It's a nice thought, but Tyrod doesn't assess the defense quick enough. To have Watkins, Woods, Hogan, and Clay all split out though is a nice thought, but I am not sure Taylor would not be able to hold up through the game.

Edited by H2o

It's a nice thought, but Tyrod doesn't assess the defense quick enough. To have Watkins, Woods, Hogan, and Clay all split out though is a nice thought, but I am not sure Taylor would not be able to hold up through the game.

the idea is to get him through the game by getting the ball out his hand quickly - in a way that moves the chains. there aren't too many post snap options to read in a spread option passing game - the idea is to identify where you're going pre snap, where formation and personnel isolate a defender and force him to choose where to defend - allowing the QB to go where he doesn't. i don't know if Roman - who from pre-season reports - loves to play 'what if' while game planning, even has toyed with the idea of running such an O.. even if just to surprise an opponent. we seem to be rather methodical.. which isn't a bad thing.. i just don't think it's the way to approach this game. i'm thinking the O we've been running attacks the Texans' defensive strengths, and we have to do something that backs them off.

the idea is to get him through the game by getting the ball out his hand quickly - in a way that moves the chains. there aren't too many post snap options to read in a spread option passing game - the idea is to identify where you're going pre snap, where formation and personnel isolate a defender and force him to choose where to defend - allowing the QB to go where he doesn't. i don't know if Roman - who from pre-season reports - loves to play 'what if' while game planning, even has toyed with the idea of running such an O.. even if just to surprise an opponent. we seem to be rather methodical.. which isn't a bad thing.. i just don't think it's the way to approach this game. i'm thinking the O we've been running attacks the Texans' defensive strengths, and we have to do something that backs them off.

I am fully in favor of this...it's actually the approach I wanted to see in the NE game.

I am fully in favor of this...it's actually the approach I wanted to see in the NE game.

i hear ya.. and the fact that we've never run anything like it, doesn't mean we're unprepared or incapable of executing it - but it probably does.. but man, what a way to frustrate a D - especially when it's unexpected

some of you may remember Terry Metcalf of the St Louis Cardinals.. McCoy's springing into his cuts and leaving defenders flat-footed, reminds me of him. i'm really impressed with McCoys work inside, but i wonder what his yac would be if we could get him involved in the passing game more - and not just on go routes, but quick curls/stops/slants where he cuts across the face of a defender.

jeez, this team has offensive talent.. even without the Harvin/Goodwin speed in the lineup, or when missing Karlos. while i'm on the subject of our roster, does anyone know who's our backup QB Sunday?

just a thought..

considering our weapons, our injuries, and the Texans resurgent D - the best way to neutralize their attacking style, may be to take a page of what's been effective against us - play quickly out of 3, 4, 5 receiver sets. if our O line could stand the strain, our split ends could beat their press, and Tyrod could hit horizontal short routes running to open space - including the middle of the field! - it may be an effective plan that forces them to adjust to us, early.

we can't live on the boundaries this game.. there's no way Taylor will have the time he had against KC to set those up.. i expect him to be flushed within 3 seconds of getting the ball in his hands. they're gonna come hard, and we have to set them back on their heels. our usual 'trap and counter' game will be chewed up in the backfield before we can get numbers laterally and upfield. why waste McCoy in there until Crennel backs off.. and don't waste time chipping Watt and Clowney.. flex Clay and/or Gragg wide enough to get into their routes or downfield blocks without getting caught in traffic. just get the damn ball out!

maybe we can't execute this, but if Roman doesn't get them before they get us - it's gonna be one big $hitball * rolling downhill fast.

note * - apologies to mr lahey

If Roman calls more slants we have a chance but, with Watt shadowing TT like Wilkerson did in the Jets game, and Miller and Henderson out its not looking good for us. The Defense is gonna have to win this game for us, including putting up points like the Jets game. Rambo needs to pull a Rambo.

To be fair, KC's pass rush is just about as ferocious as Houston's, and the Bills put up a lot of yards and scored 4 times. Justin Houston going down helped, but that wasn't until the 3rd series or so and they moved the ball prior to that. Hali is a better second option than Clowney, and Dontari Poe is much better than Wilfork at this point, at least with regard to pressuring the pocket.

Yup. Consider what that would look like if Taylor doesn't make the right reads quickly enough. If I thought he could do it well, then I'd be all for it. Execute such an offense poorly and the game could be out of hand quickly. The Bills will need to mix it up to keep a defense like Houston's on their heels. Look for them to run the whole playbook because if they get in a rut it'll look like the second half of the KC game. Edited by BarleyNY

To be fair, KC's pass rush is just about as ferocious as Houston's, and the Bills put up a lot of yards and scored 4 times. Justin Houston going down helped, but that wasn't until the 3rd series or so and they moved the ball prior to that. Hali is a better second option than Clowney, and Dontari Poe is much better than Wilfork at this point, at least with regard to pressuring the pocket.

KC seemed more interested in defending gaps. i was surprised by the lack of pressure they put on Taylor, especially up the middle.

like Watt, Hali moves from side to side. he got that strip sack in the 3rd coming from our right, but he was handled well almost the entire game by both Glenn or Henderson.

i think Houston went out in the 2nd, but before that, his only pressure came in the 1st - on a bull rush that Henderson held up long enough to allow Taylor to complete his throw without even resetting his feet.

i think Romeo is gonna let the dogs out against our QB, and force him to scramble, throw short, or take the sack. that's why i'm thinking that going into the game with a quick passing game in mind helps get the ball out under our terms.

hmm. Romeo vs Roman.. let the games begin :beer: