Roman should spread 'em and shred 'em

BackInDaDay

Roll TT out on every single pass play - to the non-JJ side. He's much more elusive with a head start and throws very well on the run. Worth at least an extra 1.5 seconds of time.

Once in a while, yes. But you can't remove 2/3 of the field from your offense. Making the defense defend only 1/3 is just to easy.

GO BILLS!!!

I completely agree with this. But I expect tight formations and long-developing running plays designed to minimize our strengths. This coaching staff has out-thought itself all season...

;) .. it seems that way, but alot of that's on our players.. they have to make plays when the play works.

unlike the Hackett teams, we're schematically sound - as in, our receivers aren't dragging coverage into each other's routes - and our O linemen are executing more complex blocking schemes that actually create running lanes. why Tyrod has developed middle-phobia is anyone's guess.. routes are being run that are coming open in there, so i'm guessing Roman wants the plays made. but that's the growing pain of a virtual 1st year player at QB. and there are also some inside cutbacks there for the taking - that McCoy has missed trying to take the corner. the line and receivers are really doing a good job on the backside. it's not a biggie, because some of those powers get a guy as quick and talented as Shady upfield, anyway.. but it's just another little execution thing that can make the difference in keeping a the chains moving.

KC seemed more interested in defending gaps. i was surprised by the lack of pressure they put on Taylor, especially up the middle.

like Watt, Hali moves from side to side. he got that strip sack in the 3rd coming from our right, but he was handled well almost the entire game by both Glenn or Henderson.

i think Houston went out in the 2nd, but before that, his only pressure came in the 1st - on a bull rush that Henderson held up long enough to allow Taylor to complete his throw without even resetting his feet.

i think Romeo is gonna let the dogs out against our QB, and force him to scramble, throw short, or take the sack. that's why i'm thinking that going into the game with a quick passing game in mind helps get the ball out under our terms.

hmm. Romeo vs Roman.. let the games begin :beer:

I actually would not employ the quick pass game because it would keep the Texans' defensive line fresh. I would want to tire out the defensive line with planned extended roll outs, reverses and screen passes. Make them chase Taylor, Watkins and McCoy all first half so that they lose their legs in the second half where you can gash them in the run and have Taylor get time to pass deep down the field.

Once in a while, yes. But you can't remove 2/3 of the field from your offense. Making the defense defend only 1/3 is just to easy.

GO BILLS!!!

yep.. one of our favorite misdirections isthat play that begins as a naked boot off a fake sweep, with the TE running a flat route to the boot side.. it's one of those plays designed to force a single defender into choosing to force contain the QB or play coverage

To be fair, KC's pass rush is just about as ferocious as Houston's, and the Bills put up a lot of yards and scored 4 times. Justin Houston going down helped, but that wasn't until the 3rd series or so and they moved the ball prior to that. Hali is a better second option than Clowney, and Dontari Poe is much better than Wilfork at this point, at least with regard to pressuring the pocket.

This

I actually would not employ the quick pass game because it would keep the Texans' defensive line fresh. I would want to tire out the defensive line with planned extended roll outs, reverses and screen passes. Make them chase Taylor, Watkins and McCoy all first half so that they lose their legs in the second half where you can gash them in the run and have Taylor get time to pass deep down the field.

the idea is to keep them on the field without substitution, and to limit the damage they can do in the backfield.. any long developing play is risky if they're playing on our side of the ball.. which is why our ability to pull our linemen should be more effective after Crennel decides to start throwing some zone blitz and other shallow cover schemes at us. but i think middle screens to either McCoy or Clay, would definitely be of use - along with the option of hitting WR screens out of twin and trip formations that employ rubs on their cover men.. throw the spread O book at em if we can.. move them wide, and strike the middle

I just watched Inside the NFL, and they had a piece where Watt was miced up against NO. Holy crap i would be s@#*ting my pants if I were TT. We are going to need two guys on Watt every play and maybe a chip from the RB when we know it is a passing play. I worry for his shoulder given the beating he is going to take.

For that reason among others, i'm in line with the OP who wants a spread, and also bubble screen to McCoy. hopefully this frees up enough time to then allow some traditional runs. It sucks we don't have Karlos Williams.

We have to hope Clay can have a big day over the middle, and maybe two big throws to Watkins to keep them honest. Rex better not pull that idiotic crap of having Dareus and Super Mario go into coverage. Unleash these guys and rotate them to keep them fresh if at all possible.