Trump Alone at the Top

YEP: Trouble with the catchphrase ['Love trumps hate'] is that no one associates Hillary with love.”

KIMBERLEY STRASSEL: No Political Guardrails: President Obama broke all the boundaries—and now Clinton and Trump are following suit.

Mr. Obama doesn’t need anyone to justify his actions, because he’s realized no one can stop him. He gets criticized, but at the same time his approach has seeped into the national conscience. I
t has set new norms. You see this in the ever-more-outrageous proposals from the presidential field, in particular front-runners Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.

Mrs. Clinton routinely vows to govern by diktat. On Wednesday she unveiled a raft of proposals to punish companies that flee the punitive U.S. tax system. Mrs. Clinton will ask Congress to implement her plan, but no matter if it doesn’t. “If Congress won’t act,” she promises, “then I will ask the Treasury Department, when I’m there, to use its regulatory authority.”

Mrs. Clinton and fellow liberals don’t like guns and are frustrated that the duly elected members of Congress (including those from their own party) won’t strengthen background checks. So she has promised to write regulations that will unilaterally impose such a system.

On immigration, Mr. Obama ignored statute with executive actions to shield illegals from deportation. Mrs. Clinton brags that she will go much, much further with sweeping exemptions to immigration law.

For his part, Mr. Trump sent the nation into an uproar this week with his call to outright ban Muslims from entering the country. Is this legally or morally sound? Who cares! Mr. Trump specializes in disdain for the law, the Constitution, and any code of civilized conduct. Guardrails are for losers. He’d set up a database to track Muslims or force them to carry special IDs. He’d close mosques. He’d deport kids born on American soil. He’d seize Iraq’s oil fields. He’d seize remittance payments sent back to Mexico. He’d grab personal property for government use.

M
r. Obama’s dismantling of boundaries isn’t restrained to questions of law; he blew up certain political ethics, too.

The press and political class let him burn it all down because they agreed with him, and besides he was black so to complain would be racist or something. Now they can’t figure out how to survive the wind that will blow, now that everything that can stop it has been removed.

Well, he’s got the Hitler vote. The neo-Nazi website, Daily Stormer, was out and proud earlier this week: “Heil Donald Trump — the Ultimate Savior.” After endorsing the Republican presidential front-runner earlier this year for his call to deport 11 million Mexican immigrants, the fomenters of American fascism have now added an apt twist to his slogan, one not far from the truth of the campaign: “Make America White Again.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/11/opinion/campaign-stops/goose-steppers-in-the-gop.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

The first bolded statement conflicts with the next.

not at all. best case for trump in general election imo: 60% repub, 25% dem vote 50% independent for popular vote. that's about 42% of the vote. not nearly enough. in the electoral vote all obama blue states go dem, at least half purple states go dem.

Edited by birdog1960

not at all. best case for trump in general election imo: 60% repub, 25% dem vote 50% independent for popular vote. that's about 42% of the vote. not nearly enough. in the electoral vote all obama blue states go dem, at least half purple states go dem.

That's probably about right on for his high water mark

The first bolded statement conflicts with the next.

How so? Romney had what, 40-50 million votes in the last presidential election? The point being you can be a longshot to win and still have a large swath of idiots behind you.

Edit: I'm not commenting on Romney voters when I say "idiots".

Edited by yall

How so? Romney had what, 40-50 million votes in the last presidential election? The point being you can be a longshot to win and still have a large swath of idiots behind you.

Edit: I'm not commenting on Romney voters when I say "idiots".

Trumps voters voted for Romney also

Lol....love to see at least one candidate not afraid of those goons....

One of the worlds wealthiest businessmen, Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, had sharp words for Trump on Friday, telling him via Twitter to withdraw from the presidential race, as you will never win.

Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump

Dopey Prince @Alwaleed_Talal wants to control our U.S. politicians with daddys money. Cant do it when I get elected. #Trump2016

http://nypost.com/2015/12/12/saudi-prince-calls-trump-disgrace-to-america/

Lol....love to see at least one candidate not afraid of those goons....

One of the worlds wealthiest businessmen, Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, had sharp words for Trump on Friday, telling him via Twitter to withdraw from the presidential race, as you will never win.

Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump

Dopey Prince @Alwaleed_Talal wants to control our U.S. politicians with daddys money. Cant do it when I get elected. #Trump2016

http://nypost.com/2015/12/12/saudi-prince-calls-trump-disgrace-to-america/

I couldnt care less what any Saudi thinks of our candidates.

Sure glad Obama went on a global apology tour to save face that really helped our foreign policy.

I want who is best for America and our own interests.

So, if Hillary is the dem nominee you think that 40% of republicans will vote for her? I'm not a Trump supporter and hope that someone else will get the nod, but I would hold my nose and vote for him over voting for Hillary. Hillary is so despised by anyone from slightly center-left to far right that I don't think she would gain 5% of anyone considered republican.

So, if Hillary is the dem nominee you think that 40% of republicans will vote for her? I'm not a Trump supporter and hope that someone else will get the nod, but I would hold my nose and vote for him over voting for Hillary. Hillary is so despised by anyone from slightly center-left to far right that I don't think she would gain 5% of anyone considered republican.

She would be lucky to even get 5%. She's not even well-liked among Dems. I'd say it's far more likely 40% of Dems vote for Trump than 40% of Repubs vote for Shrill.

Given a choice between Trump v Clinton, how many of those Republicans would choose not to vote at all? How many would vote 3rd party?

Lefties on the other hand will fall in line. They'll piss and moan about Wall Street, the Iraq War, and the Old Lady, but at the end of the day folks like JTSP will do what is expected of them. It's what lemmings do.

Given a choice between Trump v Clinton, how many of those Republicans would choose not to vote at all? How many would vote 3rd party?

Lefties on the other hand will fall in line. They'll piss and moan about Wall Street, the Iraq War, and the Old Lady, but at the end of the day folks like JTSP will do what is expected of them. It's what lemmings do.

You've identified the real question. I've stated here that I'd have to hold my nose to vote for him, but I'm not sure if the lines were long at the polling place that I'd wait.