Why Tyrod is our franchise QB heading into next year

Tyrod needs to run more. It provides an extra angle that is tough to defend. The more he runs, the more spies and pass rushers they will counter with. The more spies and pass rushers, the more open the passing lanes become over the middle. Unfortunately, it comes with an exponentially greater risk of injury especially considering his is no Cam Newton size wise.

Translation: I want Tyrod to get :death:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching pre-season I knew Taylor gave us the best shot at winning. He has his flaws but at least he doesnt turn the ball over. He is also still a rookie basically. You can dook on him cuz he learned behind Flacco for years but anyone whos played sports at the HS or College level knows playin in practice and playin in a game are 2 different things. Some people have it some people dont, these are the players you call "gamers". They make plays regardless of their physical or mental short comings Ex: RAMBO. So I agree Taylor has a good chance of being our franchise QB if he shows growth and development after this season. Mainly stepping up in the pocket, using the middle of the field more and anticipating his throws more. We should still draft a QB if hes the bpa because thats what good teams do.

I don't want to dump on Taylor, but why do you think this? He has had 4 INTs and 6 fumbles this season. That's a TD/turnover ratio of 1.4, which is not great.

His 3 INTs in the NE game, his INT in the giants game, and his 2 fumbles (1 lost) in the Chiefs game all contributed to the L's.

He may become a good NFL QB, he may not become a good NFL QB, but he shouldn't get a "free pass" on his 10 turnovers this season.

Probably because we pass more when we are behind (losing). Tyrod may or may not be the answer which is why they should draft someone with potential, but Tyrod is a decent starter to fill the gap. If he gets better, awesome! if he stays the same, then good thing we drafted someone.

Interesting that you bring this up. Underappreciated fact: overall, passing yards per game in the NFL is not correlated at all with winning. That's likely because

1) as you say, teams pass more when they're losing

2) even when they're ahead, teams pass more when the other team is successfully shutting down the run. A team that's successfully stuffing the run is usually (not always) in a good position to shut down the more accurate short/middle passing game too, and may be getting pressure on the QB, so the passing game will also be less successful - higher risk deep throws and throws into tight coverage

Edited by Hopeful

Of course he is....where else would they get an NFL ready QB before September? Or are people clinging to the 'next Russell Wilson in the 3d round' fantasy?

I think this year has demonstrated what you get if forced to pick through the bargain rack of FA QBs.

Teams have 9 games worth of film on Taylor, and so if you want to use passing metrics he's declined:

Games 1-3: 58-78 / 74.4 completion % / 9.2 yards per attempt / 714 yards passing / 7 TDs 3 INTs

Games 4-9: 107-172 62.2 completion % / 7.2 yards per attempt / 1246 yards passing / 7 TDs 1 INT

Some of that is on the OC to game-plan, some may be due to injury and there are several factors. But the level of play isn't like it was early when Buffalo scored points in bunches.

(NOTE: Originally posted, now deleted in another thread. Thought more appropriate here)

Taylor needs to start seeing the middle of the field.

He runs around until he finds someone open or throws it deep. He's good, but he needs to be more consistent and not disappear for long stretches

That will come with experience. TT is a first time starter who has to learn just like every other QB did.

Probably because we pass more when we are behind (losing). Tyrod may or may not be the answer which is why they should draft someone with potential, but Tyrod is a decent starter to fill the gap. If he gets better, awesome! if he stays the same, then good thing we drafted someone.

IIRC the Bills were leading at the half of the KC game and fell behind during the 3rd. To me 7 points behind is not a situation where you are forced to pass to play catch up. TT had a 106.4 RAT and only completed 55.3% of his passes.

Could be it's not the large number of passes but to whom he passes to.

Translation: I want Tyrod to get :death:

Not necessarily. Wasn't he chosen as the starter for his mobility?

At first it was a quick read then react / run / get sacked 3 times / throw the ball away.

Then he started surveying the field and not running as much other than to avoid a sack.

That was one of my comments about the KC game Alex Smith out TT'd what they expected from TT.

Wasn't the commentary from some that TT won the Tennessee game with his feet?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

pI31UTY.jpg

Wow. With all of the rule changes you absolutely cannot compare quarterback ratings of the last few years with those from any other time. Taylor has done well overall and he deserves a chance to continue to improve and show that he can become a franchise quarterback. But that doesn't mean the Bills should be done looking. It's up to the front office to find the absolute best competition for him possible because he hasn't proven to be a franchise guy yet. He has not proven that the team can lean on him when they need him to carry the load and he hasn't shown that he can stay healthy. He's earned the starting spot moving forward, but he's not where he needs to be yet.

He's pretty good for a guy who never touched the field prior to this year. I like him. Top 10 deep ball for sure, elusive even with a 50 lb brace on his knee. Guys a baller. Keep him. Roman's offense is perfect for him. He's an accurate Kaepernick with a good deep ball. Is he Big Ben? Brady? Manning? Newton? A 6-5, 250 rocket arm guy, No. . No, but he's probably top 10 . We'll see next year when the O has got the system down pat..

I'll tell ya, the CBA really screws new coaches putting in new offenses and defenses. Takes a year for everyone to get on the same page. This is all part of the transition to new ownership, coaching , approaches , systems, etc. Just pray that Greg Roman doesn't get grabbed for a HC gig next year. That would be bad.

The Bills game plan was pass to set up the run against the Chiefs.

After forcing the Chiefs on 3 straight 3 and outs to start the game, the Chiefs adjusted and our defense did not.

Our defense and special teams let us down in that game. Not Taylor and the offense.

I am sorry but I need to ask.... Am I blaming Tyrod for the LOSS?

see the later edits. 55.3 % completion ratio Not stellar.

His 3 INTs in the NE game, his INT in the giants game, and his 2 fumbles (1 lost) in the Chiefs game all contributed to the L's.

Can we clarify this.

Wasn't it technically 3 fumbles? Correct me if I am wrong. On the last play he fumbled, recovered the ball on the run and then fumbled again as he was going out of bounds, which is why the Refs didn't give him the first down.

The Bills game plan was pass to set up the run against the Chiefs.

After forcing the Chiefs on 3 straight 3 and outs to start the game, the Chiefs adjusted and our defense did not.

Our defense and special teams let us down in that game. Not Taylor and the offense.

One could also argue the the Offense did not adjust properly in the second half. - I said Offense not Tyrod.

Tyrod needs to be at his best. I don't care if it is by passing or scrambling. Get the job done!

It all ultimately hangs on the QB as he is THE guy who touches the ball on every snap.

Tyrod is fine. Way better than what we have had for a long time. We need our defense back. This whole thing was predicated on us having a top-tier defense. Currently we have a hind-tit sucking defense.

My second wish, someone that can coordinate a passing game. Sanjay Lal and David Lee obviously suck balls.

Haha you can plug a bunch of scrubs in there too. How'd Trent Edwards start off?

Not nearly this good.

I don't want to dump on Taylor, but why do you think this? He has had 4 INTs and 6 fumbles this season. That's a TD/turnover ratio of 1.4, which is not great.

He may become a good NFL QB, he may not become a good NFL QB, but he shouldn't get a "free pass" on his 10 turnovers this season.

Interesting that you bring this up. Underappreciated fact: overall, passing yards per game in the NFL is not correlated at all with winning. That's likely because

1) as you say, teams pass more when they're losing

2) even when they're ahead, teams pass more when the other team is successfully shutting down the run. A team that's successfully stuffing the run is usually (not always) in a good position to shut down the more accurate short/middle passing game too, and may be getting pressure on the QB, so the passing game will also be less successful - higher risk deep throws and throws into tight coverage

He does not have 10 turnovers this season. He doesn't have 6 lost fumbles. 2 of the 3 NE INT's were on the last plays of the half and games, respectively and the one against NYG was a miraculous play by the LB that wasn't even a poorly thrown ball intended for Clay.

So far he's 5-4 as a starter and on pace to be 1 game over .500 (like Orton last season).

Great stats in 2 wins against a poor Miami team. RAT - 136.7 and 146.5

Here's that stat again. Buffalo still has 0 wins when passing more than 30 times.

Sundays game against KC was another game with over 30 passes ending in a loss, (that's now 4 for TT).

So is it the run game, the O Line, the QB, execution or coaching?

Why is it that the Bills have not won a game when passing for 30 or more times?

Similar/related stat: Last week was the first time in his career that Russell Wilson won a game where Seattle's D allowed 25 or more points. He was 0-13 (I think) in those games prior to last week. Also, while it's certainly no excuse since some were poorly thrown balls, 3 of his 4 INT's have hit our receiver's hands prior to being intercepted.

Instead of saying "franchise" qb why not just say "starting qb" going into next year

People throw the word "franchise" around a little too loose.....which agitates some of our fellow bills fans (understandably) because Tyrod has NOT shown that he is a franchise QB yet.

He is young....this is his first year starting.....franchise QBs take the team on their back and win games even when other people are playing like crap.

That is too much to throw on Tyrod right now.

and yes....another qb should absolutely be drafted

Instead of saying "franchise" qb why not just say "starting qb" going into next year

People throw the word "franchise" around a little too loose.....which agitates some of our fellow bills fans (understandably) because Tyrod has NOT shown that he is a franchise QB yet.

He is young....this is his first year starting.....franchise QBs take the team on their back and win games even when other people are playing like crap.

BRAVO John. Thank you for making that request. I agree 100%.

I need to restate this - This is not a knock on TT. IMO franchise QB's need to EARN the tag after excelling AND winning for at last 2 seasons.

Tyrod will most definitely be here. But this franchise needs to draft another QB because as good as Taylor has been.. He still hasn't proven he can take over a game and win it on his shoulders. I expect him to get better, but to avoid bringing in QB's would be a colossal mistake

this franchise needs to focus on QB and keep focusing on QB till we get one that can be consistently good, which then helps us improve the depth at the position as well.

Edited by shibuya

Come on, now. Tyrod has a 101.7 QB rating in his first year as a starter. That's just a tick behind the best first season a Bills QB has ever had: 102.9.* We're way, way beyond the "fluke" or beginner's luck stage.

*Rob Johnson, 1998. :rolleyes:

*in 6 starts and only 107 pass attempts. Johnson did not even qualify as a passer that year. But keep spinning numbers if it makes you feel better guys.

Sounds about right to me