Kujo demoted?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, I'm not there, I don't have direct, first-hand information. You win, nicely done.

Sorry.. I wasn't in a contest :(

Actually, my rumor interpretation aligns with yours quite a bit.

I just want Bills fans to vent more on what they see on the field and the scoreboard (and we can be pissed for sure).

I do remember public display of jaw-boning between DM and DW.. but not sure what is was about.

Seems like quite a bit of conjecture here.

You post an awful lot. And once again I'm not seeing much substance behind those posts.

One who understands the reality of the situation? The Bills aren't bad enough to tank, meaning they're not going to get a shot to draft the next Luck with the first overall pick. They also don't have a franchise QB on the roster which means they're not winning year in and year out. That's what he meant by that statement, and it's an accurate description of where the team stood heading into this season.

Do you want the lead personnel guy for your favorite NFL team saying it's hard to find a QB in the NFL Draft? How much different is that than Dick Jauron saying it's hard to win in the NFL? This was Whaley espousing an essentially defeatist mentality here. Separate the emotion out of the issue that is being a fan.

Whaley gets kudos here for drafting defensive players and that's nice. Except, this is an offensive driven league and he has precious little to show for on that side of the ball unless he trades up for the player or spends on established players in UFA/the trade market.

Edited by BillsVet

You post an awful lot. And once again I'm not seeing much substance behind those posts.

Do you want the lead personnel guy for your favorite NFL team saying it's hard to find a QB in the NFL Draft? How much different is that than Dick Jauron saying it's hard to win in the NFL? This was Whaley espousing an essentially defeatist mentality here. Separate the emotion out of the issue that is being a fan.

Whaley gets kudos here for drafting defensive players and that's nice. Except, this is an offensive driven league and he has precious little to show for on that side of the ball unless he trades up for the player or spends on established players in UFA/the trade market.

Okay...Conjecture on!

Some teams knew better

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1976328-why-nfl-teams-are-concerned-about-cyrus-kouandjios-knee

Bad news for #Bama OT Cyrus Kouandjio. I’m told several teams have failed him on his physical. Arthritic knee from failed surgery. “Ugly.” ( at combine )

Edited by ALF

Nope. Layup pick at the time. Analysts and fans alike were on board with it. They don't all work out. You hang it on the GM when they make the cute pick over the layup pick and it doesn't work. For example, Mike Williams was a fine pick. Nobody's fault. Whitner, Troup and TJ Graham were cute picks.

Kujo was a layup? IIRC, everyone seemed to know he was damaged goods with his messed up knees. That doesn't make for no layup. It's a liability pick and overreach.

I completely disagree that Whaley's comments are the same as Jauron's infamous catch phrase. While it's true that it is hard to find a QB in the NFL draft (arguing it is easy is erroneous and disingenuous) and it is true that it's hard to win the NFL, context matters. There's nothing defeatist about Whaley's statement, it's the truth. Jauron's statements came after a defeat and were meant as a salve for wounded fans. Whaley's statements aren't defeatist, they aren't trying to reassure the fan base, they're stating the facts of the situation: The Bills haven't been bad enough to bottom out and haven't been good enough to win a ring. That's reality.

There's also nothing inherent in Whaley's statement that implies he's given up on finding a QB. In fact, quite the opposite. So either you're reading his comments with a bias, or you're not being realistic about the situation the Bills are in. Would you rather have a GM who says things that everyone knows is BS but it makes you feel better to hear it? Of course not. You want a GM who has a realistic understanding of the challenges inherent in building a competitive roster.

I completely disagree that Whaley's comments are the same as Jauron's infamous catch phrase. While it's true that it is hard to find a QB in the NFL draft (arguing it is easy is erroneous and disingenuous) and it is true that it's hard to win the NFL, context matters. There's nothing defeatist about Whaley's statement, it's the truth. Jauron's statements came after a defeat and were meant as a salve for wounded fans. Whaley's statements aren't defeatist, they aren't trying to reassure the fan base, they're stating the facts of the situation: The Bills haven't been bad enough to bottom out and haven't been good enough to win a ring. That's reality.

There's also nothing inherent in Whaley's statement that implies he's given up on finding a QB. In fact, quite the opposite. So either you're reading his comments with a bias, or you're not being realistic about the situation the Bills are in. Would you rather have a GM who says things that everyone knows is BS but it makes you feel better to hear it? Of course not. You want a GM who has a realistic understanding of the challenges inherent in building a competitive roster.

You are entitled to your take as am I, but let me take this in another direction.

If you're the new owner of the Buffalo Bills who just paid 1.4 billion for a franchise with an uncertain QB situation and the GM was using the term "QB purgatory" to describe why it's hard getting a QB, wouldn't it bother you?

It would bother me knowing that guys like Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson, and Kirk Cousins were drafted beyond the top 5 picks of the draft and have played well or are playing well.

And the other issue here is Doug Whaley is at least bright enough to know his job is on the line. So making that statement is a pre-emptive attempt to shield himself from criticism if things went wrong.

He's had 3 drafts:

He's missed on a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder, a 3rd rounder, and 2 4th rounders.

That's kind of a lot. He does not have the track record to simply say "oh, even the really good GMs have misses.". The really good GMs also draft Pro Bowlers and Whaley has not done that.

Now pick a couple GMs and go compare.

Some teams knew better

His knee was more a longevity issue than ability though, wasn't it?

Yea - the dude needs a fire lit under his a$$ before every play. He plays like he could care less.

His issue has always been "does he care" not "does he have the tools"

It'd be a shame if he washed out as its all on him

You are entitled to your take as am I...

I agree completely that we're talking opinions, didn't mean to imply otherwise. You have every right to disagree. :beer:

... but let me take this in another direction.

1) If you're the new owner of the Buffalo Bills who just paid 1.4 billion for a franchise with an uncertain QB situation and the GM was using the term "QB purgatory" to describe why it's hard getting a QB, wouldn't it bother you?

2) It would bother me knowing that guys like Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson, and Kirk Cousins were drafted beyond the top 5 picks of the draft and have played well or are playing well.

3) And the other issue here is Doug Whaley is at least bright enough to know his job is on the line. So making that statement is a pre-emptive attempt to shield himself from criticism if things went wrong.

1) It wouldn't bother me if I were Pegula because, I hope, my GM would give it to me straight rather than make excuses. Honest communication is paramount to any organizational structure, regardless of price tag. And Whaley's assessment of the situation is the reality the franchise faces. They haven't been in position to get a top QB because they've never bottomed out. You and I both have agreed in years past that the Bills needed to tank for a shot to get one of those guys because QB play is the dividing line between contenders and pretenders in the NFL. But the team never quite finished poorly enough to get a Luck, or a Cam, or a Big Ben. They were always a few picks short, so to speak. If I'm Pegula, I don't want a GM who whitewashes things, I want a guy who tells me how it is.

2) This is the source of disagreement. I don't take what Whaley said as him saying you can't find QBs in other ways other than a top 5 pick, in fact quite the opposite. The rest of the interview he discussed ways in which they have to be creative to fill the void. That means, at least to me, finding other ways to bring in quality players at the position. Like they did with Taylor this year, like they did when Nix/Whaley drafted EJ after trading down for extra picks. I am by no means saying Whaley's been perfect -- at all -- but trying to hang him because he gave an honest assessment of the situation isn't a compelling argument because it ignores the rest of what was said.

3) This would only be the case if Whaley was out trumpeting that talking point for months. He hasn't been doing that, he was asked the question by WGR and answered it. I fully expect Whaley to be retained by the Bills. I don't think there's really much debate about that within the organization itself from what I've heard.

Edited by Deranged Rhino

With Glenn and Incognito unsigned past this season I really fear for what our OL will look like next season.

I expect RI to resign, I wouldn't worry there. But even if he does resign, he's got a lot of miles on him and they need to draft/sign quality depth at the position regardless. I hope they resign Glenn, and expect them to, but I don't know how he values himself as a LT in the league so who knows what his asking price will be. Like guard, I expect them to draft two tackles (one high) regardless of what happens with Glenn.