I Hope We Don't Lose Whaley Because Of Rex

H2o

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what a lot of folks don't realize is that A LOT of teams have added a lot of talented players in the past few years.

There have been some really good draft classes.

I don't think Whaley has proven to be particularly exceptional.....nor has he been bad....but I don't think more turnover is better and I don't think letting Rex get more personnel power is a good idea AT ALL.

I'll always think of the three draft picks, two firsts and a fourth for a player when the team still had no franchise QB. Then sit by the last two years and watch his coaches use that player as a decoy or not even use him. Which is as some fans put it "criminal". Drafting two OT's one in the second round, one in the seventh, and both should be backups.

Whats telling is this team spent all that money to keep Dareus, Hughes only to see both under utilized by the current coaching staff. Now with both Kyle Williams, and Mario in perhaps their final year in Buffalo. Then with both Cordy Glenn, and Richie Incognito as free agents plus needing to sign Gilmore will be interesting to see what happens.

Rex Ryan was a bad choice for a head coach, and I have to think that Doug Whaley recommended him to the new owners.

I'm not down with firing anybody just yet, and in fact I'd like to see the team hire that football czar then make him president of football operations. Then let him make the decisions on who to fire, and who to keep. So the team never again uses three draft picks on anything other then a QB. It will also remove Russ Brandon completely from any football decisions, and keep him involved solely in the financial / business side.

The fact that Doug Whaley is put on such a pedestal by Bills' fans is proof positive of the Stockholm Syndrome that has developed between this franchise and its fanbase over the past two decades.

Doug Whaley is a good scout. He has yet to prove he knows how to build or run a team.

That's the Damn truth. I'm not going to say he sucks, but to read the board you'd think this guy had HOF written all over him.

It's funny how all the coaches who have had success in the league are clueless bums and the guy who's never won anything is beyond reproach.

Backups versus backups with no Kyle and Mario. They also lost Carrington and Bradham today which is why we saw so much IK, Tarpley, and Steward on defense.

Yeah, and the Chiefs backups were better than the Bills were, which takes me right back to...Whaley has failed to assemble quality depth.

I'll always think of the three draft picks, two firsts and a fourth for a player when the team still had no franchise QB. Then sit by the last two years and watch his coaches use that player as a decoy or not even use him. Which is as some fans put it "criminal". Drafting two OT's one in the second round, one in the seventh, and both should be backups.

Whats telling is this team spent all that money to keep Dareus, Hughes only to see both under utilized by the current coaching staff. Now with both Kyle Williams, and Mario in perhaps their final year in Buffalo. Then with both Cordy Glenn, and Richie Incognito as free agents plus needing to sign Gilmore will be interesting to see what happens.

Rex Ryan was a bad choice for a head coach, and I have to think that Doug Whaley recommended him to the new owners.

I'm not down with firing anybody just yet, and in fact I'd like to see the team hire that football czar then make him president of football operations. Then let him make the decisions on who to fire, and who to keep. So the team never again uses three draft picks on anything other then a QB. It will also remove Russ Brandon completely from any football decisions, and keep him involved solely in the financial / business side.

It's pretty clear it was the Pegulas who fell down in adoration after interviewing Rex. And it's Rex who is doing a horrible job of coaching the strong roster, at least on defense, he was given. Rex is the problem, not Whaley. It would be just like the Bills to fire Whaley and double down on loser blowhard can't-manage-a-game-to-save-his-life Ryan.

that's a pretty strong opinion; how can you suggest this without a shred of any tangible evidence ?

It's pretty clear it was the Pegulas who fell down in adoration after interviewing Rex. And it's Rex who is doing a horrible job of coaching the strong roster, at least on defense, he was given. Rex is the problem, not Whaley. It would be just like the Bills to fire Whaley and double down on loser blowhard can't-manage-a-game-to-save-his-life Ryan.

Its not clear at all to me as I have to think that both Russ Brandon, and Doug Whaley gave their stamp of approval on Rex Ryan, and in fact probably endorsed him pretty hard because of his defensive background. The new owners knew nothing about who to hire and their mistake was listening to the men who had been doing it for the last owner.

Hell, we all thought that this years Bills defense was going to be special, and instead Ryan changed up his scheme to a cover over pressure. Which took the best sacking / pressuring defense in the league the last two years and made it opposing QB friendly :sick:

Edited by Nihilarian

Compare Chandlers last year stats to Clays at the end of the year, they will probably be close unlike their paychecks.

Yup. What we needed the most from this so called "upgrade" from Chandler to Clay is YAC and we are not getting anything close to large improvement in that category. YAC is what the top tight ends that are mismatches provide.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Short of finding 40-50 players who are intrinsically motivated to maximize their potential.........the only way this ends well for Rex and the Bills is if management finds a way to create an environment where attention to detail is paramount.

Keeping a separation, but a decent working relationship, between GM and HC is part of that.

What Rex has is that ability to make a bunch of players feel like family and that is a useful trait.......but if you are unable to execute the details on gameday then it becomes an irrelevant gift to have.

The longer Rex coached the Jets the more they spiraled downwards. By the time he reached his last season with them the team was in a state of chaos. Rex does engender loyalty by his players. That is all well and good. What he doesn't engender is an environment of accountability and discipline. It is not surprising (at least to me) that this team is one of the most penalized teams in the league and collectively is one of the dumbest teams in the league. The gratuitous bumping of Alex Smith by Hughes was idiotic and damaging. It's obvious that he doesn't respect the HC who constantly preaches not taking foolish/selfish penalties.

Rex Ryan took over a defense that was dominant. He rigidly forced his system onto players who didn't fit the scheme he was married to. That isn't an act of a flexible and open-minded coach; it is an act of a dope. Take what works and change it so it doesn't work. He wanted to demonstrate to the world how brilliant he was. He demonstrated how stupid he is.

Entering the season the Bills had enough talent to be a solid wildcard playoff team. There wasn't much room for error to accomplish this elusive generational desire. With Rex at the helm the margin of error quickly evaporated.

When you hire a huckster you get a huckster. Coaching matters!

that's a pretty strong opinion; how can you suggest this without a shred of any tangible evidence ?

Like this?

“For me his philosophy on how to build a championship team, a consistent championship team is exactly the way I think a team should be built,” said Whaley.

“I knew when he started talking about how he wanted to build a team and I could complete his sentences and he could complete mine in how we want the Buffalo Bills to look we were on the same page.”

“It was funny because at the start of the process Kim and Terry asked me who my favorite was and I said, ‘You can’t go in with any preconceived notions of what you want and what you like. You’ve got to go in with an open mind so you don’t have any biases,’” said Whaley. “And at that point Kim said, ‘Well then how do you know?’ I said, ‘Unfortunately it’s like when I asked people who were married and I was single. How do you know? You just know.’ And when we got to that point we all looked at each other and knew that Rex was the guy who we wanted to be our next head coach.”

Whaley was head over heels in love with Rex. Rex had him at "hello".

Edited by Mr. WEO

Compare Chandlers last year stats to Clays at the end of the year, they will probably be close unlike their paychecks.

They are very close in terms of production. Chandler was good for about 50 catches a year and about 12 yards per catch. Clay is right now is at 46 catches and 9.8 yards per catch. Bottom line: Clay will catch more balls, but the extra over Chandler has been almost all passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. And as others have noted, very little after the catch. Is it him or is it how they use him? Well, consider that he averaged 10.4 yards per catch last year, in a different system with a different QB. We'd love to think he's a major weapon - not a Gronk or Jimmy Graham, but a major weapon - but his history and performance suggest otherwise. He was more of a desperation move than a major acquisition, and we've seen a bunch of guys blast past him at the position in the last year: Eifert, Kelce, etc. Clay is not in their class. He is, sadly, in Chandler's class ...

Whaley has produced nothing besides a step forward and two steps back. I won't shed a tear when both are eventually canned.

True. Ask yourself this, and be honest: is this team better today than it was after the 11th game last year?

My answers: better today? Probably not. About the same, somewhat better on offense, somewhat worse on defense and special teams.

Better positioned for the future? Definitely not. More long term contracts to aging players. Whaley and Rex adopted a "the future is now" strategy, then delivered nothing now (and will be paying for it in the future)

They are very close in terms of production. Chandler was good for about 50 catches a year and about 12 yards per catch. Clay is right now is at 46 catches and 9.8 yards per catch. Bottom line: Clay will catch more balls, but the extra over Chandler has been almost all passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. And as others have noted, very little after the catch. Is it him or is it how they use him? Well, consider that he averaged 10.4 yards per catch last year, in a different system with a different QB. We'd love to think he's a major weapon - not a Gronk or Jimmy Graham, but a major weapon - but his history and performance suggest otherwise. He was more of a desperation move than a major acquisition, and we've seen a bunch of guys blast past him at the position in the last year: Eifert, Kelce, etc. Clay is not in their class. He is, sadly, in Chandler's class ...

True. Ask yourself this, and be honest: is this team better today than it was after the 11th game last year?

My answers: better today? Probably not. About the same, somewhat better on offense, somewhat worse on defense and special teams.

Better positioned for the future? Definitely not. More long term contracts to aging players. Whaley and Rex adopted a "the future is now" strategy, then delivered nothing now (and will be paying for it in the future)

This is a very good post.

Like this?

“For me his philosophy on how to build a championship team, a consistent championship team is exactly the way I think a team should be built,” said Whaley.

“I knew when he started talking about how he wanted to build a team and I could complete his sentences and he could complete mine in how we want the Buffalo Bills to look we were on the same page.”

“It was funny because at the start of the process Kim and Terry asked me who my favorite was and I said, ‘You can’t go in with any preconceived notions of what you want and what you like. You’ve got to go in with an open mind so you don’t have any biases,’” said Whaley. “And at that point Kim said, ‘Well then how do you know?’ I said, ‘Unfortunately it’s like when I asked people who were married and I was single. How do you know? You just know.’ And when we got to that point we all looked at each other and knew that Rex was the guy who we wanted to be our next head coach.”

This sounds like an employee agreeing with his new employer who just bought the team. This proves nothing about the assertion that Whaley chose Rex.

Edited by jeffismagic

Like this?

For me his philosophy on how to build a championship team, a consistent championship team is exactly the way I think a team should be built, said Whaley.

I knew when he started talking about how he wanted to build a team and I could complete his sentences and he could complete mine in how we want the Buffalo Bills to look we were on the same page.

It was funny because at the start of the process Kim and Terry asked me who my favorite was and I said, You cant go in with any preconceived notions of what you want and what you like. Youve got to go in with an open mind so you dont have any biases, said Whaley. And at that point Kim said, Well then how do you know? I said, Unfortunately its like when I asked people who were married and I was single. How do you know? You just know. And when we got to that point we all looked at each other and knew that Rex was the guy who we wanted to be our next head coach.

Whaley is only responsible for moves that work out. The ones that don't are someone else's fault and he had nothing to do with it even if he himself said unequivocally, multiple times, and in his own words that he had everything to do with it.

Whaley fanboy love dies hard.