I Hope We Don't Lose Whaley Because Of Rex

H2o

I've been a Whaley supporter but this season has shown to me his weakness as a GM. He had acquired a pretty talented group of starters, but the depth overall is pretty poor, save for maybe RB, WR, CB, and the interior linemen on both sides.

EJ isn't good enough if Taylor goes down, and Cassel has shown that he wouldn't have been either, considering he can't get it done with the best OL in the game, a top 3 WR and HOF lock TE.

If Cordy Glenn, while seeming to be up and down week to week, were to miss some time, Seantrel can barely get it done at RT, let alone LT. I feel the same way about Preston Brown and Bradham. They may not be the best each week, but this team would be up the creek with Tarpley/Steward.

Mario missing today was noticeable, more so after Carrington's injury. IK is not good at football. Duke Williams and Rambo are one dimensional players at safety. This season may be entirely different if Aaron Williams didn't suffer that neck injury in week two.

Point being, a good GM needs to put together a strong 53, because there's no way to predict where the next man up may be needed. Whaley has done a good job with the top 22, IMO, but past that he is failing.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a Whaley supporter but this season has shown to me his weakness as a GM. He had acquired a pretty talented group of starters, but the depth overall is pretty poor, save for maybe RB, WR, CB, and the interior linemen on both sides.

EJ isn't good enough if Taylor goes down, and Cassel has shown that he wouldn't have been either, considering he can't get it done with the best OL in the game, a top 3 WR and HOF lock TE.

If Cordy Glenn, while seeming to be up and down week to week, were to miss some time, Seantrel can barely get it done at RT, let alone LT. I feel the same way about Preston Brown and Bradham. They may not be the best each week, but this team would be up the creek with Tarpley/Steward.

Mario missing today was noticeable, more so after Carrington's injury. IK is not good at football. Duke Williams and Rambo are one dimensional players at safety. This season may be entirely different if Aaron Williams didn't suffer that neck injury in week two.

Point being, a good GM needs to put together a strong 53, because there's no way to predict where the next man up may be needed. Whaley has done a good job with the top 22, IMO, but past that he is failing.

You must not look around the league to see what happens when backups play. There's for the most part a significant dropoff in today's league with a salary cap restriction.

If there are dozens as you claim, then explain why there are at least a third of the teams that just never win. Year in and year out they lose, why because they too don't have a good GM. I've said for years the most important hire a team can have is the GM, more than the coach, players, etc. I could give a number of examples of teams that went from years of losing to becoming winners once they got a good GM.

Yes Whaley has been here 6 years, but not as GM. The roster does have the most talent it's had in years. Is it turning itn oa playoff team, so far no, but they are better now than when he arrived.

The Bills are one of those teams that never makes the playoffs. The quintessential team. If you hired me as GM and gave me 6 years, I would probably make the playoffs more often than Whaley has.

I think what a lot of folks don't realize is that A LOT of teams have added a lot of talented players in the past few years.

There have been some really good draft classes.

I don't think Whaley has proven to be particularly exceptional.....nor has he been bad....but I don't think more turnover is better and I don't think letting Rex get more personnel power is a good idea AT ALL.

The problem isn't Rex getting more authority regarding personnel it is the authority that he already has in that area. His defense has underachieved compared to how it performed last year. It won't be surprising that he will want to bring in players who he believes better fit his scheme preference.

Whaley is stuck with Rex for the foreseeable future. Their futures are intertwined by their respective performances. In my view Whaley is being more damaged with Rex on board than Rex is being damaged by Whaley being on board.

Rex was a bad hire and the consequences will reverberate throughout the organization. Or another way of looking at it is that Rex is the perpetrator and Whaley is the victim. When you hire a huckster what do you expect? A happy ending? I don't think so!

With the Bills, it always has been difficult to figure out who is responsible for what. As between Nix, Whaley and Ryan, I am not sure we really know who is responsible for drafting and signing our players. Clearly, Ryan has been a big disappointment so far, but given our record over the last number of years, the overall state of the team is the responsibility of the GM. While Whaley drafted two very good players last year (Darby and Williams), the team still lacks talent at key positions. I think it is time for the Bills to move on.

Whaley has assembled some solid talent on this team. We have the players to compete with and win against ANY team in the NFL. The difference is coaching. Rex, Thurman, and Roman are clueless out there. They have shown this time and time again in numerous ways schematically, with gameplans, and the lack adjustments. It's like we have the loud mouth version of Jauron out there. I hope the Pegulas make bringing Doug back a priority and allow him to fully take the reigns. I also hope he doesn't look at this situation and say "f*** it, I'm out." He could see this as a no win situation. I hope not, but it could happen.

He dropped the ball on offense and over paid for many of them.

I would like to see a change, in fact I'd like Pegula to clean house and start from scratch, like the Sabres

The Bills are one of those teams that never makes the playoffs. The quintessential team. If you hired me as GM and gave me 6 years, I would probably make the playoffs more often than Whaley has.

You continue to make up your version of the truth when Whaley has not been the GM for six years.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

He dropped the ball on offense and over paid for many of them.

I would like to see a change, in fact I'd like Pegula to clean house and start from scratch, like the Sabres

Overpaid for skill positions and negleted the line and the QB position who you need to impact the skill positions. This is why acquisitions like McCoy, Watkins and Clay have had no impact on the Bills winning more games.

Whaley has no idea how to build a team.

You must not look around the league to see what happens when backups play. There's for the most part a significant dropoff in today's league with a salary cap restriction.

I don't expect the backups to be the same caliber player as the starter, but they can be serviceable players. The Bills lack even serviceable depth at a lot of positions.

PS, fresh wound but the Chiefs would like to talk about this "poor play with backups" thing. You know, the team with their 3rd string RB running for 115 yards today behind a 2nd team interior line, with 99% of those yards coming after the first injury along their OL

Edited by JM57

I don't expect the backups to be the same caliber player as the starter, but they can be serviceable players. The Bills lack even serviceable depth at a lot of positions.

PS, fresh wound but the Chiefs would like to talk about this "poor play with backups" thing. You know, the team with their 3rd string RB running for 115 yards today behind a 2nd team interior line, with 99% of those yards coming after the first injury along their OL

Backups versus backups with no Kyle and Mario. They also lost Carrington and Bradham today which is why we saw so much IK, Tarpley, and Steward on defense.

The problem isn't Rex getting more authority regarding personnel it is the authority that he already has in that area. His defense has underachieved compared to how it performed last year. It won't be surprising that he will want to bring in players who he believes better fit his scheme preference.

Whaley is stuck with Rex for the foreseeable future. Their futures are intertwined by their respective performances. In my view Whaley is being more damaged with Rex on board than Rex is being damaged by Whaley being on board.

Rex was a bad hire and the consequences will reverberate throughout the organization. Or another way of looking at it is that Rex is the perpetrator and Whaley is the victim. When you hire a huckster what do you expect? A happy ending? I don't think so!

Short of finding 40-50 players who are intrinsically motivated to maximize their potential.........the only way this ends well for Rex and the Bills is if management finds a way to create an environment where attention to detail is paramount.

Keeping a separation, but a decent working relationship, between GM and HC is part of that.

What Rex has is that ability to make a bunch of players feel like family and that is a useful trait.......but if you are unable to execute the details on gameday then it becomes an irrelevant gift to have.

how often do franchises allow their GM to be in a lame duck season?

Unless posturing for more momey which I seriously doubt Whaley has the creditenals

To do. it seems odd. his recent Bills GM associates Levy, Nix, Brandon, are far from

GM's that accomplished anything.

Let him walk if anyone wants him what is the loss? he's a leftover. Good signings?

What have they accomplished in the W column? Where teams are judged. Or should be.