Jason Hatcher Rips the Refs

Rob's House

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015/11/22/jason-hatcher-calls-out-referees-for-bias-against-redskins/

The focus by NFL apologists and morons like Mike & Mike will be on his theory that the reason for the bias is the controversy over the team name, but the fact that he's calling out the consistently bizarre officiating is the more noteworthy aspect of the story.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015/11/22/jason-hatcher-calls-out-referees-for-bias-against-redskins/

The focus by NFL apologists and morons like Mike & Mike will be on his theory that the reason for the bias is the controversy over the team name, but the fact that he's calling out the consistently bizarre officiating is the more noteworthy aspect of the story.

So they flag the Bills because they are members of PITA?

Maybe I'm naive, but I think the inconsistency in calling penalties is more due to the fact that the refs are human, and miss things/get things wrong, like humans do. We just have 100 cameras all in super duper HD to catch it all now. The hyper scrutiny is kind of ridiculous.

Watched Red Zone channel all day. Refs are horrible in every game......they call defensive holding when none occurs....and let go so many helmet to helmet hits on defenseless receivers.....officiating in NFL needs an overhaul of some sort...I'm not sure how to fix it but it needs to happen.

Watched Red Zone channel all day. Refs are horrible in every game......they call defensive holding when none occurs....and let go so many helmet to helmet hits on defenseless receivers.....officiating in NFL needs an overhaul of some sort...I'm not sure how to fix it but it needs to happen.

What exactly can they do? They have to call these things at speed, while we get to review everything from multiple angles and in slow motion. If they review every call, that'll kill the game. Add more refs, will probably just result in more calls. There's not a whole lot of reasonable answers... it's best to just accept it as part of the game, kinda like the odd shape of the football that bounces a bit unpredictably, sometimes your way, sometimes the other way.

This is the direction I'd hoped this thread would take. I often wonder if I see the Bills getting hosed because of my bias, but yesterday I saw teams I don't give a shot about getting hosed on plays that just don't make sense.

I get that things happen fast and sometimes it's hard to see what happened in real time, but on these iffy discretion calls the dumb ass refs should leave the flags in their !@#$ing pockets.

The only thing I can think of is having a booth guy with access to a couple key camera angles that can review something quickly and overturn a call if there's a meeting of refs for more than a few seconds. Shouldn't slow the game down too much, might pick up the flag on some of the bad calls.

The most viable solution is to subject PI to instant replay. The current refs simply cannot get it right. Phantom call after phantom call, and many of them have huge impact on the game. I don't see any reason why unnecessary roughness calls could not be reviewed too.

There is no reason that someone couldnt be at te league office or at the game itself watching on tv, with a direct line into the officials earpiece and tell him to pick te flag up as no foul occurred.

You could have a 6 person crew "in the booth" just like they have six on the field.

If we as fans can see this BS so easily on TV and with modern DVR tech anyone can do this at home on Time Warner Cable. It would be easy to implement.

What exactly can they do?

Hire full time refs who only officiate NFL games and that's their job. Let them work on their craft year round instead of doing it part time. I don't think there is any doubt that someone who devotes all of their work time to improving will be better than guys who do it in addition to whatever their profession is.

What exactly can they do? They have to call these things at speed, while we get to review everything from multiple angles and in slow motion. If they review every call, that'll kill the game. Add more refs, will probably just result in more calls. There's not a whole lot of reasonable answers... it's best to just accept it as part of the game, kinda like the odd shape of the football that bounces a bit unpredictably, sometimes your way, sometimes the other way.

Honestly, I seriously questioned the NFL's decision to review calls from a central location in NY. The NFL and NFL betting are multibillion dollar industries do you really believe they leave it to chance. They review penalties, but not the most painful game changer (pass interferference) how many Bills games have been decided by a phantom pass interference call, and who can really look at an instant replay on a reception that's being reviewed and consistantly mirror the decision made in NY. The announcers can't do it and the majority of them played in the NFL. If the NFL wasn't a little cozy with the Vegas book why are they so adamant there is a complete and honest injury report? It's my oppinion the oddsmakers are the chief beneficiary of the injury report. Back when the Bills were going to Super Bowls the majority of officials were lawyers and accountants during the week, whom better could hide payoff money. I believe the NFL and Vegas have been in collusion and it goes back as far as the Jets-Colts Super Bowl. Now that calls are being reviewed in a central location all games can be controlled. There is a lot of money on the line every week, and if you don't believe it's possible then you haven't been paying attention to how multibillion dollar industries have operated in America for some time now.

Honestly, I seriously questioned the NFL's decision to review calls from a central location in NY. The NFL and NFL betting are multibillion dollar industries do you really believe they leave it to chance. They review penalties, but not the most painful game changer (pass interferference) how many Bills games have been decided by a phantom pass interference call, and who can really look at an instant replay on a reception that's being reviewed and consistantly mirror the decision made in NY. The announcers can't do it and the majority of them played in the NFL. If the NFL wasn't a little cozy with the Vegas book why are they so adamant there is a complete and honest injury report? It's my oppinion the oddsmakers are the chief beneficiary of the injury report. Back when the Bills were going to Super Bowls the majority of officials were lawyers and accountants during the week, whom better could hide payoff money. I believe the NFL and Vegas have been in collusion and it goes back as far as the Jets-Colts Super Bowl. Now that calls are being reviewed in a central location all games can be controlled. There is a lot of money on the line every week, and if you don't believe it's possible then you haven't been paying attention to how multibillion dollar industries have operated in America for some time now.

I'll stop watching the NFL if it's found that a vegas connection is what controls the outcome of games. I fully suspect there's a little bit of shady business going on, but I don't think its as deep as you and others think.

I think we as Bills fans feel worse about it, because how can one team be so bad for so long?

Hire full time refs who only officiate NFL games and that's their job. Let them work on their craft year round instead of doing it part time. I don't think there is any doubt that someone who devotes all of their work time to improving will be better than guys who do it in addition to whatever their profession is.

+1, this makes most sense to me. I'm sure the NFL could figure out a way to pay for the cost.

How? What would they do in off-season?

I think we as Bills fans feel worse about it, because how can one team be so bad for so long?

NFL success should be cyclical as it is currently set up, unfortunately Mr. Wilson was trying to make the case small market teams couldn't be succesful without profit sharing around the last time the Bills should have cycled up, I love Marve Levy, but his hiring as GM was a hatchet job on the organisation.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think the inconsistency in calling penalties is more due to the fact that the refs are human, and miss things/get things wrong, like humans do. We just have 100 cameras all in super duper HD to catch it all now. The hyper scrutiny is kind of ridiculous.

This is my general stance. It's incredible how accurate they are most of the time. The egregious errors are the one thing that seems to have an uptick.

This.

Instead of trotting out a group of 50-60 year old men who only do this part time, make it a full time job and bring in refs who are in their physical and mental prime.

If the refs were working together all offseason on what should be called and when, I think you would at least have more consistency.

I understand human error and dont expect these guys to be perfect robots, but there is plenty of ground to make up until they are even close to that, and they need to be way better than they are currently.