Fitzpicksix

dave mcbride

Yes, watched the Texans/Jets today. Same old Fitz, lots of heart but always with the int at the end. In todays case, two of them.

He has small hands for a QB. He eventually gets exposed every year

He just can't get it done in late Nov and Dec

Same old Fitz, brains, guts, not enough arm. Throws the inevitable pick to end the game. I think he's the starter because of Chan.

I still don't see how Fitz gets credit for being so smart when he is sooooooo very dumb when it comes to the way he runs and his decisions thinking he can make throws he should know he can't.

The Jets are 8-5 and right in the hunt for playoffs with the Stillers and Chiefs.

The Bills are 6-7, eliminated unless the Jets crash badly, and at best the same record as last year (at worst - losing season again).

Fitzpatrick is rockin' a 1.78 TD/TO ratio with 25 TDs and 11 INTs plus 3 unrecovered fumbles, 7 YPA, 60% completions, all the stuff people bring up as metrics of a good QB, with 4.5 YPA rushing and 2 rushing TD thrown in. Tyrod Taylor is rockin a 1.64 TD/TO ratio - his INTs are low but gotta factor in his 6 unrecovered fumbles.

"You are what your record says you are". Not dissing on Tyrod or wishing for Fitz here, Right now, all this sneering at Fitz given the relative records, reeks of sour grapes at this point.

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitz/Gailey aren't doing things much differently than they did here. What's the main difference? Fitz/Gailey don't have to find a way to put up 35 points every single game just to have a chance to win. Those Bills teams had defenses that were epically bad and the offense pretty much always had to rack up serious points/play in shoot outs. And of course, under those circumstances, Fitz would usually end up throwing critical INT's. Not to mention that the Jets offense is more talented than the trash Gailey/Fitz had at WR here in B-lo. It's so bittersweet b/c I can't stand the Jets but it's so easy to root for Gailey/Fitz.

Both are great guys, and I do think they have at least a 20% chance of stopping the evil empire if they do get in because of their D and the fact that Fitz could get red hot.

To me it's simple: who can stop NE* from ruining my SB 50 Sunday?

Sure, it would be neat to see them lose but that isn't going to happen if they get in, and it's too damn stressful. I want to just enjoy the SB after this nightmare of a season.

So who in the AFC can do it?

Bengals?

0% chance. Without Dalton the Bengals won't win a single playoff game. Even with him I just don't buy into them no matter how many wins they have.

Denver?

50% chance IF the Peyton Manning of old can show up for 6-7 weeks and play well Denver can win it all because that D is unreal.

KC?

1% chance. KC and check down Alice would get destroyed by NE*

Steelers?

20% chance. Pittsburgh could score enough to make things interesting, but they never seem to beat NE*

colts/Texans?

0% chance. Whoever is from the AFC South needs to get eliminated Wild Card round, or else NE* gets a bye right into the AFC Title game

Jets?

I say 30% chance. They have a great D, and when Fitzpatrick is hot he can get red hot. He can also be totally awful. I'd rather see NE* have to play Pittsburgh and then Denver. But the Jets would be my 3rd choice, given that Dalton is done.

The Jets are 8-5 and right in the hunt for playoffs with the Stillers and Chiefs.

The Bills are 6-7, eliminated unless the Jets crash badly, and at best the same record as last year (at worst - losing season again).

Fitzpatrick is rockin' a 1.78 TD/TO ratio with 25 TDs and 11 INTs plus 3 unrecovered fumbles, 7 YPA, 60% completions, all the stuff people bring up as metrics of a good QB, with 4.5 YPA rushing and 2 rushing TD thrown in. Tyrod Taylor is rockin a 1.64 TD/TO ratio - his INTs are low but gotta factor in his 6 unrecovered fumbles.

"You are what your record says you are". Not dissing on Tyrod or wishing for Fitz here, Right now, all this sneering at Fitz given the relative records, reeks of sour grapes at this point.

Hmmmmmm....facts suck don't they?

I'm still not sold on Fitz, but he is playing well right now. Since I like him, I'm happy he's having more success than I expected him to have. He's got a tough road ahead though - a solid Dallas defense, the Pats, and the Bills in Buffalo. I don't think the Jets make the playoffs in the end -- Pittsburgh and KC are more likely candidates.

Why do you keep insisting that Taylor has lost six fumbles this year? You said the same thing in another post last week, I immediately called you out and then you disappeared, only to reappear saying the same thing in this thread. HE HAS LOST ONE FUMBLE THIS SEASON, making his TD to all turnovers ratio an even 3. If you factor in his 3 rushing TD's (why wouldn't you if you're counting lost fumbles) it is 3.5. You also laud Fitzpatrick's YPA and Comp % and then fail to mention Taylor's- WHICH ARE BOTH HIGHER. You then mention Fitz's rushing numbers and fail to mention Taylor's, which of course, are better too. The only statistic that Fitzpatrick is beating Taylor in is TD passes. Tyrod Taylor has better numbers than Ryan Fitzpatrick in literally every other category there is to measure a QB's efficiency. And I like Fitzpatrick. And then of course, you got the six pack guy praising your post like you guys have just proven something to everyone when your post is completely and utterly wrong and entirely misleading. But alas, neither of you will respond and around and around we go.

Hmmmmmm....facts suck don't they?

Yes, when they are factually incorrect, they do suck.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Still waiting to hear from you guys- I gotta bump this thread here. Hopeful, after reading your post again, I don't think you were going after Taylor so not looking to argue. But you cite Fitz's comp % (25th out of 33 qualified QB's) and his YPA (23rd out of 33 qualified QB's) and imply that he's better than Taylor in those categories (Taylor is 15th and 5th respectively). Also still curious where you go for your fumbling statistics. My bigger issue though, is with six pack who comes in and smugly says something about how the facts show that Fitzpatrick is better when they literally do the exact opposite. Six pack, if you want to argue that Fitzpatrick is better than Taylor today, that's fine, it's not that much of a stretch. But when you imply that "the jury is in" on Taylor, I think that's unfair. I would argue that Taylor is well ahead of where Fitzpatrick was after 11 games as a pro. After 23 starts, Fitz had 21 TD's and 27 INT's (and that's after five years in the league, just like Taylor). You do realize guys can get better with experience, right?

Metz, the 6 "unrecovered" fumbles he's referring to are the ones that weren't recovered by the defense. He has 7 fumbles, with 1 lost. It's certainly an odd way to state it.

Thank you, someone is still aware of this thread. So the six fumbles are actually recovered fumbles. They are the complete opposite of unrecovered fumbles. They are not turnovers.

Why do you keep insisting that Taylor has lost six fumbles this year? You said the same thing in another post last week, I immediately called you out and then you disappeared, only to reappear saying the same thing in this thread. HE HAS LOST ONE FUMBLE THIS SEASON, making his TD to all turnovers ratio an even 3.

Number one: my point was not to compare Fitz and Taylor. If that's what you want to do, Go For It, but it's completely inappropriate to "Call me Out" (WTF? Is this a junior high bathroom?) for not comparing them in the way you want, when that's not my point. My point is that there's a lot of Fitz bashing and trashing "Pickspatrick" and meanwhile, you are what your record says you are and he's not doing badly as a QB while the Jets are doing better than we are in the W-L department.

Number two: if you cough up the ball, you cough up the ball. It's Bad. Can we agree on that? You cough it up, there's a big element of luck who gets it? It's a problem?

Number three: links go further than bombast.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaylTy00.html

7 fumbles for Tyrod this year so far. So no, he doesn't get a pass on "doesn't turn the ball over"

Edited by Hopeful

Number one: my point was not to compare Fitz and Taylor. If that's what you want to do, Go For It, but it's completely inappropriate to "Call me Out" (WTF? Is this a junior high bathroom?) for not comparing them in the way you want, when that's not my point. My point is that there's a lot of Fitz bashing and trashing "Pickspatrick" and meanwhile, you are what your record says you are and he's not doing badly as a QB while the Jets are doing better than we are in the W-L department.

Number two: if you cough up the ball, you cough up the ball. It's Bad. Can we agree on that? You cough it up, there's a big element of luck who gets it? It's a problem?

Number three: links go further than bombast.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaylTy00.html

7 fumbles for Tyrod this year so far. So no, he doesn't get a pass on "doesn't turn the ball over"

Wasn't trying to call you out (read my last post). I was pointing out that your statistics regarding the lost fumbles were simply wrong. As I stated, Taylor has a 3.5 TD : turnover ratio, which is one of the best in the entire league. You said it was 1.something. You were incorrect. Two of Taylor's fumbles were on the one play in KC where he bounced it once, quickly regained it and then harmlessly fumbled it forward out of bounds. So no, fumbling the ball and losing it is the statistic that is key here. Yes he does get a pass on turning the ball over because he's ONLY TURNED THE BALL OVER SIX TIMES all season.

We agree on Fitzpatrick. He was good here with very few legitimate weapons to work with. I got slammed last year for telling people I thought he was better than EJ Manuel. It turned into a whole thing where people were accusing me of trolling just for having that opinion. Of course there is a sour grapes element and of course people are unfairly biased against him because he has an unorthodox throwing motion, wasn't a high draft pick, etc. He is playing his best football as a pro this year but it doesn't surprise me at all. However, W-L record is simply a fool's way of judging a QB. Yes, Tom Brady can take a mediocre roster to 13-3. He is one of a kind. On the flipside, I don't think Fitz is better than Philip Rivers because the Chargers have been decimated by injuries this season. The Jets have the NFL's 5th ranked defense and the Bills have the 20th. Switch their defenses right now and of course Taylor has the better record.

But back to the factual stuff- again, you cited Fitz's comp % and YPA as being impressive numbers and then mr. six pack jumps in and is all "ha the Taylor supporters hate seeing these facts..." Well a) as I pointed out, both of those figures are in the bottom third of the league for qualified QB's and b) you left out Taylor's numbers in both categories, which are way better than Fitz's and in the top half of the league. I just want people to be held accountable for what they post and yes, I'll point out when people post things that simply are not true or misleading.

Bottom line, if you think Fitz is better than Taylor, that's fine and again, it's not that much of a stretch. But you tried using statistics to back up that claim that simply were not true at all. Taylor's numbers are better than Fitz's this season across the board. Passer rating, TD : INT, comp %, YPA, rushing statistics, etc., etc.

Wasn't trying to call you out (read my last post). I was pointing out that your statistics regarding the lost fumbles were simply wrong. As I stated, Taylor has a 3.5 TD : turnover ratio, which is one of the best in the entire league. You said it was 1.something. You were incorrect. Two of Taylor's fumbles were on the one play in KC where he bounced it once, quickly regained it and then harmlessly fumbled it forward out of bounds. So no, fumbling the ball and losing it is the statistic that is key here. Yes he does get a pass on turning the ball over because he's ONLY TURNED THE BALL OVER SIX TIMES all season.

We agree on Fitzpatrick. He was good here with very few legitimate weapons to work with. I got slammed last year for telling people I thought he was better than EJ Manuel. It turned into a whole thing where people were accusing me of trolling just for having that opinion. Of course there is a sour grapes element and of course people are unfairly biased against him because he has an unorthodox throwing motion, wasn't a high draft pick, etc. He is playing his best football as a pro this year but it doesn't surprise me at all. However, W-L record is simply a fool's way of judging a QB. Yes, Tom Brady can take a mediocre roster to 13-3. He is one of a kind. On the flipside, I don't think Fitz is better than Philip Rivers because the Chargers have been decimated by injuries this season. The Jets have the NFL's 5th ranked defense and the Bills have the 20th. Switch their defenses right now and of course Taylor has the better record.

But back to the factual stuff- again, you cited Fitz's comp % and YPA as being impressive numbers and then mr. six pack jumps in and is all "ha the Taylor supporters hate seeing these facts..." Well a) as I pointed out, both of those figures are in the bottom third of the league for qualified QB's and b) you left out Taylor's numbers in both categories, which are way better than Fitz's and in the top half of the league. I just want people to be held accountable for what they post and yes, I'll point out when people post things that simply are not true or misleading.

Bottom line, if you think Fitz is better than Taylor, that's fine and again, it's not that much of a stretch. But you tried using statistics to back up that claim that simply were not true at all. Taylor's numbers are better than Fitz's this season across the board. Passer rating, TD : INT, comp %, YPA, rushing statistics, etc., etc.

OK, first off: you are right that I misread the heading on NFL for the fumbles. I don't usually use NFL for stats for a reason *g*. And pro-football-reference simply counts "fumbles", not whether they were lost or recovered. I think they do that for a reason - because every fumble, whether or not it's recovered, is a COP, and potentially very bad. It concerns me that a guy is coughing up the ball 7 times no matter who gets their hands on it last. I gather it doesn't concern you, so we can agree to disagree.

Second: please stop with the "if you think Fitz is better than Taylor" stuff to me. I've said twice now, that's not my point to compare them in this post. If your argument is with someone else's response, perhaps you should respond to them. My point is that Fitz is having a pretty good year, and that all the Fitz-trashing in this thread, in the context of the year Fitz is having and the Jets better record, looks like "sour grapes" to the max. It actually sounds like you agree with me there. I'm actually surprised by how Fitz is doing so far with Gailey, I thought he'd revert more to the B'lo Fitz.

About this "not calling me out" thing, metzelaars_lives, on 14 Dec 2015 - 5:55 PM, said: "You said the same thing in another post last week, I immediately called you out and then you disappeared,"

This is a bulletin board, people ebb and flow from participation according to what's going on in the rest of their lives. I'll take your word that your intent is not to "call me out" a la Jr High Bathroom, but you might want to think about your word choice there because the impression is kind of off, as though it's somehow reprehensible of me not to see and respond to your post or to have other stuff going on that take me out of here. JMO.