Smart vs Dumb game plan against the Pats

1billsfan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes pretend Tyrod can out perform Brady...I don't like that game plan. Run the ball then take your shots down the field- I think we have a shot to out physical them on both lines of scrimmage

And exactly when have we done that before? Without Kyle the injuries on the Pats line sort of even out. They always find a way to plug in no-names and make them look like the 70s Cowboys line. In the end, the Bills need to take what the Pats give them and make the most of it. Only way to beat them is to be as smart as they are. Eventually they will get a little frustrated and that's when you have to pounce.

yes pretend Tyrod can out perform Brady...I don't like that game plan. Run the ball then take your shots down the field- I think we have a shot to out physical them on both lines of scrimmage

They ran the ball pretty well against NE the first game. It tickled.

I know they have to run the ball but I think they should run outside and use mis-direction against this team....and give Tyrod a moving pocket....especially with Collins out.

The Pats may not be as strong up the middle as the Jets......but it's still the strength/healthier part of their defense.

IMO, favoring a short pass/high completion percentage with less big plays over deep pass/low completion percentage with more big plays is a losing formula in this specific game. You can do that in other games against other teams, but with the Patriots you need to attempt to take them out using the “big play” game plan especially when you have a guy like Sammy Watkins playing on your side. Nibbling around the edges against this team only going to result in an unhappy ending.

ToP no matter how its done could really help

OL did a hell of a job vs. the Jets front who stacked the box determined to take the run away. That Jets front 7 is a better than the Pats. I expect Belichick to stack the box and double Watkins and play everybody else one on one. Bills need to still find a way to run the ball and hit chunk yardage plays to Clay over the middle and Woods outside.

i think you got it.

Time for Robert, Jerome, Hogan Clay to shine. hell, pass to Mully. This is all on TT to read and manage the progression.

Bill is going to mess with his mind again but rush four

Pats are going to sit on those interior pass lanes. Move the pocket.

I still expect a strong run game.

I say let Shady and Karlos run wild. When they think we are going to keep pounding the rock, and bring a safety up in the box, go over the top to one our receivers. This is what our team is good at and it is a solid plan to do what we are good at. NE is not anywhere near as good at stopping the run as they are made out to be. Most teams dig a hole too big to run the ball and end up abandoning the run by the second half.

The fact that running the ball uses more clock is not a bad thing at all. More importantly, the Bills need to be diverse. We need success in both the run and the pass. Special teams can also improve our chances.

If we want to see the Pats* fall the defense will also need to slow them down. Winning isn't going to come from one aspect of the game but many.

Edited by Rockinon

Rockinon- YES. Just add to that, get our entire DL rushing every time. Eventually, even a banged up returned line or back ups will fold. Occasional blitzes, not a ton, will help and jsut make him uncomfortable.

If he gets hit 5,6,7 times in the first half, he has shown he gets rattled and will start yelling at everyone on the sideline. To just throw deep a ton with an avg for all QB's of 35% is stupid. You do that as you stated when your run game brings more people in the box.

Remember, their strength is in the front 7, not necessarily in their back 4. Once they over commit, we have a shot. Marcel has to have a monster game. Interior pressure is what Brady hates the most as he is not a roll out guy.

Rockinon- YES. Just add to that, get our entire DL rushing every time. Eventually, even a banged up returned line or back ups will fold. Occasional blitzes, not a ton, will help and jsut make him uncomfortable.

If he gets hit 5,6,7 times in the first half, he has shown he gets rattled and will start yelling at everyone on the sideline. To just throw deep a ton with an avg for all QB's of 35% is stupid. You do that as you stated when your run game brings more people in the box.

Remember, their strength is in the front 7, not necessarily in their back 4. Once they over commit, we have a shot. Marcel has to have a monster game. Interior pressure is what Brady hates the most as he is not a roll out guy.

I think the Bills can not only win, but dominate if they merely do what they are good at. We know this team can run. We know that the run sets up the deep pass game and we know this team can get after the QB. You are right about Brady getting rattled. With a limping OL, the Bills can get to him. With less playmakers on offense, Brady will have a harder time. He can't rely on the run as much and he no longer has his best receiver. He'll hold the ball a little longer like he did against the Giants.

We know the Giants defense has struggled all year. To think that defense was really making it that difficult for Brady is ridiculous. Brady has fewer weapons and it is showing. If they can get to him, I know our defense can. That team is limping and the wolves are circling.

They ran the ball pretty well against NE the first game. It tickled.

I know they have to run the ball but I think they should run outside and use mis-direction against this team....and give Tyrod a moving pocket....especially with Collins out.

The Pats may not be as strong up the middle as the Jets......but it's still the strength/healthier part of their defense.

I am always screaming for Tyrod to run himself. Imo there is not a qb in the NFL, including Wilson, who can run as well as TT. He does seem to be nursing a bad knee, but one of these days I expect him to break loose big time and gain 100+ yards.

We shall see.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say we have to run considering two of our most explosive players on offense are RB's. Why shy away from that? I feel that a team should play to its strengths and not shy away from them b/c of who your opponent is.

The NE Patriots don't give up a lot of rushing yards per game (2nd best in NFL), but that's partly b/c teams are normally playing catch up with the Pats and have to pass more (they give up 4.0yds/carry though which is 11th best in NFL).

Hopefully b/c the Patriots are banged up, they won't be able to move the chains as easily as they normally do. If our defense can keep the pats at around 24-27 points, I feel we can pull out a victory focusing on what we do best: running the ball, and taking a handful of shots downfield to Sammy as opposed to changing our winning formula.

Edited by bobobonators

I am always screaming for Tyrod to run himself. Imo there is not a qb in the NFL, including Wilson, who can run as well as TT. He does seem to be nursing a bad knee, but one of these days I expect him to break loose big time and gain 100+ yards.

We shall see.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They need him to get his legs back.

They gave up 8 sacks to NE last game and then they face the Chiefs pass rush and then JJ Watt......they need him moving well.

The game plan is to run against a 7 man front the majority of the time, and to pass against 8 or more upfront.

We run plays based on what the defense gives us, not what kind of play calling balance we decided before the game would be nice. TT will be able to audible for the most part, I don't think foxboro is known for crazy loudness.

We need Richie to play, I hope he comes around enough to take the field. Wish we had Goodwin still to run the long ball opposite Sammy (Rex you were an idiot for having Goody return kicks. Should have kept Thigpen all year and had him handle the job)

I think this will be a 23-21 score. Bills edge Pats with a 45 yarder from Carpenter to win it in the final seconds.

The smart game plan for winning this game is to throw the ball deep to our WRs and TEs.

- Giants had 15 yards per catch last week exposing a huge hole in the Pats defense, they had ODB we have Watkins.

- The Bills doing this and potentially taking a two TD or more lead exposes Brady to their rushers who will know that they are in pass mode every down.

The dumb game plan is to run the ball a lot, planning on long drives that eat up time and keep Brady on the sideline.

- Long drives will expose the Bills to more BS penalties by the refs who we all know are in the bag to extend the Pats unbeaten streak.

- Belichick wants the Bills to run the ball a lot because he knows that either Brady or the refs will bail them out in the fourth quarter in an expected tight game.

Will Rex and Roman be smart or dumb? Do they want to go with the best game plan to actually win the game or will they do what Belichich thinks and hopes they do and run the ball hanging their hopes on beating Brady or the refs in a tight game in the fourth quarter. I know this goes against conventional wisdom, but it's the only way they win this game IMO.

Belichick knows that every team tries to "keep Brady off the field", and play ball control. They have played out that script for years on end, and mastered that style of game. I think Belichick even considers that when he builds his defense. He can emphasize run defense/short passing game defense, because he knows that is how most teams will try to beat them.

I think you have to attack their weakness, and that means go downfield. Pass on 1st down. "Err on the side of aggression". Just worry about getting a lead, not controlling the clock. Points put way more pressure on Brady, than time constraints.

To me, a lot of it is psychological. By playing "keep Brady off the field" it's showing fear, and the Patriots adopt the attitude they are accustomed to. That has to be challenged.

Maybe bring back the "Rope-A-Dope Offense"?

Edited by HoF Watkins

Belichick knows that every team tries to "keep Brady off the field", and play ball control. They have played out that script for years on end, and mastered that style of game. I think Belichick even considers that when he builds his defense. He can emphasize run defense/short passing game defense, because he knows that is how most teams will try to beat them.

I think you have to attack their weakness, and that means go downfield. Pass on 1st down. "Err on the side of aggression". Just worry about getting a lead, not controlling the clock. Points put way more pressure on Brady, than time constraints.

To me, a lot of it is psychological. By playing "keep Brady off the field" it's showing fear, and the Patriots adopt the attitude they are accustomed to. That has to be challenged.

Maybe bring back the "Rope-A-Dope Offense"?

Agreed. This is why the Giants have been so successful against them and why they're the only team in the NFL the Pats fear. The Giants always have attacked them with deep passes and in rushing the QB.

Playing the grind it out running game against the Pats is only going to lead to questionable flags at the worst time in long drives with the Bills scoring FGs not TDs.

I don't know if there is necessarily a smart game plan or one that will def lead us to victory. I think that we need to look at what the Giants did last week against them and see where some holes were. If we can limit the amount of time Bradys on the field that may be the best game plan. Each week Pat Kirwan and the Real Football Network give a breakdown of the match-ups for MNF, here is what they said about our game tonight: https://realfootballnetwork.com/2015/11/20/week-11-bills-at-patriots/

i agree. Taylor is actually somewhat of a nightmare matchup for the Pats.

I think we tend to forget he had 3TDs and over 250 yds passing and a rushing TD in week 2. And, the only guy athletic enough to spy him, Collins, is out.

So while i agree to extend the field, i also agree to just let Taylor be Taylor.

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

Both the Patriots and the Giants had rushing attempts of 23 and 24, to 44 pass attempts. We're still going to run, and we're going to pass to open up the opposite. I'm fine with TT taking some shots, but passes longer than 20 yards are a low completion percentage for any QB including Brady.

A diverse game is what is going to help, and involving guys like Clay will help.

The point with going deep sometimes is to get a PI call and gobble up 30 or more free yards.

I agree with JR in Pittsburgh - probably the most signiificant thing the Bills can do tonight to win is to play smart, meaning no stupid, over reacting, dead ball fouls! If they can do this, I think they have the talent to beat the Pats**.

We need to make no mistakes and have the pats make a lot of them. That will be key. That also means we have to miraculously not have a penalty on every ST play, or like 5 personal
Foul calls. Can't self-destruct again.