Smart vs Dumb game plan against the Pats

1billsfan

I certainly think we need to be aggressive in our play calling on both sides tonight. I still think to execute that we have to run the ball effectively as well, but I think a mixture of run it well, get a screen game going and take shots deep early and often is what I would do.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The smart game plan for winning this game is to throw the ball deep to our WRs and TEs.

- Giants had 15 yards per catch last week exposing a huge hole in the Pats defense, they had ODB we have Watkins.

- The Bills doing this and potentially taking a two TD or more lead exposes Brady to their rushers who will know that they are in pass mode every down.

The dumb game plan is to run the ball a lot, planning on long drives that eat up time and keep Brady on the sideline.

- Long drives will expose the Bills to more BS penalties by the refs who we all know are in the bag to extend the Pats unbeaten streak.

- Belichick wants the Bills to run the ball a lot because he knows that either Brady or the refs will bail them out in the fourth quarter in an expected tight game.

Will Rex and Roman be smart or dumb? Do they want to go with the best game plan to actually win the game or will they do what Belichich thinks and hopes they do and run the ball hanging their hopes on beating Brady or the refs in a tight game in the fourth quarter. I know this goes against conventional wisdom, but it's the only way they win this game IMO.

Smart - also includes having at least an Eli manning at QB... And the Gilbride blueprint...

Percey would have been really nice to have for this game.

People will laugh, but I don't see why, if you have the ball past your own 30, taking deep shots 3 plays in a row is bad strategy. Your chance of at least getting a PI call is pretty good, and even an interception will often be as good as a 30 yard punt. It would definitely "stretch the defense".

One of the problems with a ball control approach, is that you have to play with discipline (not a Bills strength), and playing with discipline is the Patriots biggest strength. It is unlikely that the Bills will "out discipline" the Patriots.

Edited by HoF Watkins

The smart game plan for winning this game is to throw the ball deep to our WRs and TEs.

- Giants had 15 yards per catch last week exposing a huge hole in the Pats defense, they had ODB we have Watkins.

- The Bills doing this and potentially taking a two TD or more lead exposes Brady to their rushers who will know that they are in pass mode every down.

The dumb game plan is to run the ball a lot, planning on long drives that eat up time and keep Brady on the sideline.

- Long drives will expose the Bills to more BS penalties by the refs who we all know are in the bag to extend the Pats unbeaten streak.

- Belichick wants the Bills to run the ball a lot because he knows that either Brady or the refs will bail them out in the fourth quarter in an expected tight game.

Will Rex and Roman be smart or dumb? Do they want to go with the best game plan to actually win the game or will they do what Belichich thinks and hopes they do and run the ball hanging their hopes on beating Brady or the refs in a tight game in the fourth quarter. I know this goes against conventional wisdom, but it's the only way they win this game IMO.

I'm not sure about the idea of not emphasizing the run.

We're 2nd in the NFL in rushing. Are we supposed to shy away from our strength because we're afraid of the Pats defense? If we don't even attempt to establish the running game, Belichick has already won an important battle.

I want to see a good mix of passes and runs. I want TT to take some shots down field. I want to see Woods and Clay integrated into the game plan. And I want to see Shady with 20 or more carries.

Last time we played the Pats, we passed more than we ran. How did that work out?

Edited by hondo in seattle

We're 2nd in the NFL in rushing. Are we supposed to shy away from our strength because we're afraid of the Pats defense? If we don't even attempt to establish the running game, Belichick has already won an important battle.

I want to see a good mix of passes and runs. I want TT to take some shots down field. I want to see Woods and Clay integrated into the game plan. And I want to see Shady with 20 or more carries.

Last time we played the Pats, we passed more than we ran. How did that work out?

The Patriots run defense is ranked #1. Their weakness is their backfield.

The thing is, the first game NE stacked the line against the run. If they do that this time, I want to see a play action fake, and a deep throw. Tyrod throws a nice deep ball, it's a strength of his, and it doesn't involve much reading of the defense, or going through progressions.

And how is running into the teeth of the defense a good strategy? Brady makes it a point to say "I never run a play against a defensive alignment that doesn't favor us"....that is the right way to do it.

Edited by HoF Watkins

The Bills are lucky that they are versatile on both offense and defense. If this team wants to go to the next level then they need to do what the Pats do and change their game plans from week to week giving them the best chance top win that particular game.
The Bills have the QB and WRs to play the deep ball game. It’s the biggest weakness of the Patriots defense. Yes the Bills are #2 in rushing, but IO don’t see a rushing/long drives attack being a winning formula against this particular game. We know that the refs will be ready to screw the Bills at any time during 10 play drives or the Bills players may actually hold during the drive and get caught. We know that the Bills really need to almost have a two score lead with 5 minutes left to ward off any refs screwing them over scenario. We also know that TDs are scored by your WRs and TEs, they need TDs not FGs in this game.
An added benefit of not rushing McCoy much is that he’ll be fresh for the two next games that matter if the Bills want to get into the playoffs which are the Chiefs and Texans games.

The thing is, the first game NE stacked the line against the run. If they do that this time, I want to see a play action fake, and a deep throw. Tyrod throws a nice deep ball, it's a strength of his, and it doesn't involve much reading of the defense, or going through progressions.

And how is running into the teeth of the defense a good strategy? Brady makes it a point to say "I never run a play against a defensive alignment that doesn't favor us"....that is the right way to do it.

So - if you were coach - Belicheck has already taken away your team's offensive strength: the ground game. The man's a genius because we haven't played a down yet and he's already taken our best weapon away from us.

I certainly believe in taking what's given. I don't think they're going to give Sammy a lot of space, so I'd love to see more of Woods and Clay.

I also believe in balance and not being predictable. I think we should run outside, run inside, throw short, throw long. We have the weapons to do all those things.

I think we should keep them guessing and on their heels.

Smart

- no (few) penalties

- no turnovers

- play to your strengths (pass rush, mccoy/karlos)

- win special teams

Dumb

- take lots of penalties

- turn the ball over

- try to be something you're not (drop everybody into coverage, throw lots of deep balls)

- lose special teams by turning it over, taking penalties, missing FGs, etc...

If they play "smart" and lose, then tip-of-the-hat to New England.

If they play "dumb" and lose, then they don't deserve to make the playoffs this year... they're just not good enough.

Edited by pi2000

Play 10 yards off their scrub backup receivers. Don't cover Gronk down the seam. Commit stupid unforced penalties at the worst possible times. Rush 3-4 guys all game long.

And don't forget to play ultra conservative on offense without testing their secondary and run into 8-9 man boxes all night for negative yardage.

Think this scheme might work.

So - if you were coach - Belicheck has already taken away your team's offensive strength: the ground game. The man's a genius because we haven't played a down yet and he's already taken our best weapon away from us.

I certainly believe in taking what's given. I don't think they're going to give Sammy a lot of space, so I'd love to see more of Woods and Clay.

I also believe in balance and not being predictable. I think we should run outside, run inside, throw short, throw long. We have the weapons to do all those things.

I think we should keep them guessing and on their heels.

Not how I see it.

I see it as "Belichick is concentrating on stopping the run, leaving himself weaker in other areas".

If he is stacking the box, and the defense is concentrating on stopping the run, it's foolish to not go somewhere else.

I think they are capable of winning with the pass, but they can't hedge their bets, and play it safe. None of that "well, we HAVE to run it now, because we have been passing too much". Brady didn't care in the first game, he just kept taking what was there, and it happened to be pass plays.

I hope to see McCoy get more pass targets too.

Not how I see it.

I see it as "Belichick is concentrating on stopping the run, leaving himself weaker in other areas".

If he is stacking the box, and the defense is concentrating on stopping the run, it's foolish to not go somewhere else.

I think they are capable of winning with the pass, but they can't hedge their bets, and play it safe. None of that "well, we HAVE to run it now, because we have been passing too much". Brady didn't care in the first game, he just kept taking what was there, and it happened to be pass plays.

I hope to see McCoy get more pass targets too.

I don't think we're polar opposites but none of it really matters. We'll see what Greg Roman dials up and hopefully it's a winner.

Smart, 1.Throw the ball deep to Watson every possession if he is covered or not, (50/50) ball. Four things can happen completion, incomplete, interception, pass interference. 50% good, 50% bad.

2. Roll out Tyrod so the Patriots cannot trap them in the pocket.

Dumb 1.Run, run, pass.

Edited by bisonbrigade

The Patriots run defense is way over rated. Teams are averaging more than 4yds per carry, but they usually abandon the run in the second half because they are playing from behind. The number of carries per game is much lower against them, so yards per game numbers are severely off the mark.

The Patriots run defense is way over rated. Teams are averaging more than 4yds per carry, but they usually abandon the run in the second half because they are playing from behind. The number of carries per game is much lower against them, so yards per game numbers are severely off the mark.

Gee, I hope so, cuz I was thinking teams spend the 1st half trying to run the ball, failing, falling behind, and then spending the rest of the game passing to try and catch up.

Gee, I hope so, cuz I was thinking teams spend the 1st half trying to run the ball, failing, falling behind, and then spending the rest of the game passing to try and catch up.

Their run defense and our run defense are similar. They are 14th in ypa we are 16th. They have had the fewest rush attempts against them us the 2nd fewest.

The reasons for those number are different but neither is an elite run D at this point.

Smart

- no (few) penalties

- no turnovers

- play to your strengths (pass rush, mccoy/karlos)

- win special teams

Dumb

- take lots of penalties

- turn the ball over

- try to be something you're not (drop everybody into coverage, throw lots of deep balls)

- lose special teams by turning it over, taking penalties, missing FGs, etc...

If they play "smart" and lose, then tip-of-the-hat to New England.

If they play "dumb" and lose, then they don't deserve to make the playoffs this year... they're just not good enough.

AGree.

Remember last Pats game? I think like their first 4 drives started inside the 50 (with a few starting at like the 30)-- because of Bills gaffes.

Their run defense and our run defense are similar. They are 14th in ypa we are 16th. They have had the fewest rush attempts against them us the 2nd fewest.

The reasons for those number are different but neither is an elite run D at this point.

They may be more vulnerable to the run tonight without Collins, we shall see. But if the run ain't working early, they better move on to Plan B, quick.

Edited by HoF Watkins