Torell Troupe still taking hits

"the former Buffalo Bills defensive tackle always knows when Rob Gronkowski scores a touchdown.

Gronk scores. Gronk spikes. Troup’s cellphone lights up.

“If Gronkowski scores more than one touchdown,” Troup said, “I’m probably going to get 10-15 tweets. My mom tells me not to pay it any mind. But it’s hard, man, because of the whole situation.”

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/11/21/torell-troup-one-pick-ahead-of-gronk/

Making him play with a broken back ended his career. I feel bad for the guy and hopefully he can move on and enjoy life

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting he seems to be in permanently disabled category from his description but he showed up at Veteran's Combine like he was able to play. It appears he is not listening to his body. Yes fans and media sometimes are outrageous in expectations and yes the coaches want everyone to play but this did not appear to be case where he was told he had to play. I hope he will do well as he can. Gronk? That is someone seeing the draft in rear view mirror and saying they saw it ahead on road.

I'm sure him going out to the veterans combine is just an example of someone who doesn't want to give up on his dream. It's too bad he didn't have the courage to say no, and go out for surgery immediately. He was a bust for us, even if it was just a fluke accident.

He was a reach though out of UCF. I watched him in college, and didn't understand why we picked him so high. It is true Gronk had back problems in college, so we could be saying the same thing about him of the roles were reversed.

For his sake, I hope he can move on, and this is another reason why these kids in college need to prepare for a life after football. No one should simply retire after football. It's a short lived career, and you have to work like the rest of us when it's over. An avg. NFL career is 3/12 years. I'm happy for those guys who can make it 10-13 years, be starter and rack up a couple of million dollars or more. For the majority, though, you are one injury away from becoming a teacher, high school football, coach, salesperson, or something else.

I'm sure him going out to the veterans combine is just an example of someone who doesn't want to give up on his dream. It's too bad he didn't have the courage to say no, and go out for surgery immediately. He was a bust for us, even if it was just a fluke accident.

He was a reach though out of UCF. I watched him in college, and didn't understand why we picked him so high. It is true Gronk had back problems in college, so we could be saying the same thing about him of the roles were reversed.

For his sake, I hope he can move on, and this is another reason why these kids in college need to prepare for a life after football. No one should simply retire after football. It's a short lived career, and you have to work like the rest of us when it's over. An avg. NFL career is 3/12 years. I'm happy for those guys who can make it 10-13 years, be starter and rack up a couple of million dollars or more. For the majority, though, you are one injury away from becoming a teacher, high school football, coach, salesperson, or something else.

He wasn't my first choice for NT, I felt he was too small but Nix liked his movability :doh: . Good job Nix you want a mountain at NT not a small athletic player.

I really wanted Gronk in that spot, didn't know he would be this good and wonder how good he would have been with our top notch QBs.

People tweeting this guy when Gronk scores a TD should read this article and STFU. Nix is ridiculous. He's a 70-year old guy and he's actually saying he and the rest of the Bills staff couldn't tell a 22-yr old to sit the #$%^ down and get surgery. Instead they loaded him up on Toradol and sent him out for more punishment. What a complete buffoon. Stay on the golf course, you idiot. We'll never know what Troup might have been if they had just handled his medical conditions properly.

That article was tough to read. One of the things I came away from that thinking is that the BN is going to lose Tyler Dunne to a bigger paper - he's a good reporter.

Very tough to read. And Dunne is the real deal. Reminds me of a guy from the WashPo that always drew you in with his writing as well, William Gildea. Just someone you always enjoyed reading his work, as I do with Dunne.

I can't believe people would tweet Troupe like that. Pitiful.

Why would a former football player seeking to avoid attention for his football career continue to have a twitter account and apparently have it set to beep his phone every time some idiot twitters him?

Ralph Wilson hired Marv Levy to be his GM. No other team would have considered such an odd move. The results were predictable. Ralph Wilson subsequently hired Nix to be his GM. No other team would have considered him as a serious GM candidate . The drafting of Troup to be an NFL NT was foolish from a number of standpoints. He was undersized and he had a history of back problems. So it was not surprising when the back issues became a problem and he didn't become an anchor NT.

Under the Levy regime this franchise was set back. Nix didn't set this franchise back but he didn't advance it to the extent that he could have. Nix knew what he needed to do with the roster he inherited. He realized that he needed to make the roster bigger and stronger in order to get away from the Jauron/Levy philosophy of lighter and quicker. The Levy/Brandon/Nix time span was an adequate enough time for a competent organization to do a major rebuilding job.It collectively squandered its time

The past is the past. Without a doubt Whaley is a major upgrade in the front office. He has modernized the front office structure and operation. Not all his personnel decisions are going to work out. It doesn't for any GM. But with him as a GM at least there isn't a quirkiness and foolishness to what is being done.

I can't believe people would tweet Troupe like that. Pitiful.

Why are you surprised? They are the same type of people who question Watkins about his injuries and how he conducts his family life. Fools are so prevalent and can't be avoided.

Edited by JohnC

Why would a former football player seeking to avoid attention for his football career continue to have a twitter account and apparently have it set to beep his phone every time some idiot twitters him?

To be fair, outside of a handful of idiots just a few days a year he probably uses it just like any other 20-something

I enjoyed the article, it was well done. I had always wondered what happened to TT. Sure makes you think about how these guys get treated by the teams. I'm sure this is not isolated to the Bills. It is rampant in the NFL. I hope he is able to land on his feet doing something else. Tough to come back from.

I have nothing against Troupe. My disgust is reserved for an organization that always thinks it's smarter than everyone else. Not only was Troupe an undersized player from a small conference, he was remarkably unproductive even at that level. As I recall, the year before he came out, he made second team all-Sunbelt Conference. What a resume. He probably merited a sixth or seventh round pick, at best.

Definitely not surprising just sad people have no remorse and got nothing better to do then tweet this guy about how much he sucked and make his day worse when more then likely none of them have accomplished half of what Troup has.

Good read. Makes you wonder how many other young players are going through the same thing with their respective teams.

I know first hand that this is a problem in college as well. And, in more than just football. Wish people really knew what goes on in the athletic programs around the country. It is just a bunch of coaches and administrators trying to further their own careers. Some have these public personnas of wonderful people, and the boosters kiss their butts if they win. LOYALTY and concern for the players is rare.