Can we write the NFL a preemptive letter....

Estelle Getty

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well for my part ill send an email to someone in the league offices to atleast make them aware that people know whats going on. I suggest others do the same.

I think you would be amazed what we as humans would try to get away with if we thought no one was going to do anything about it. If we are investing our hearts and souls into something that is pre determined we have the right to know about it!

Let us know which email address you send it to and I'll send on to the same person/email-bot.

I couldn't agree with the original poster more. The game will simply not be called with any consistency. That's guaranteed. But that's also true throughout the league. I know we're Bills' fans and we focus on the bias we witness in our team's games but the fact is if you watch a lot of other games this is happening every week in most every game. Depending on the crew, the teams involved, the quarter of play, the specific players involved, the score at the time, and so on, the ref's just call things differently. The lack of consistency in enforcing and interpreting the rules is mind-blowingly awful.

That all said the Bills can do a lot to further their cause by avoiding all those stupid personal foul and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties which seem to multiply every time we play New England. And don't hold or block in the back on every single kick off and punt return. These types of penalties were real factors in the first meeting. Maybe they lose, maybe they win, but don't giftwrap the game by giving up a lot of free penalty yardage by playing undisciplined football. Make them earn every foot on every play.

I couldn't agree with the original poster more. The game will simply not be called with any consistency. That's guaranteed. But that's also true throughout the league. I know we're Bills' fans and we focus on the bias we witness in our team's games but the fact is if you watch a lot of other games this is happening every week in most every game. Depending on the crew, the teams involved, the quarter of play, the specific players involved, the score at the time, and so on, the ref's just call things differently. The lack of consistency in enforcing and interpreting the rules is mind-blowingly awful.

That all said the Bills can do a lot to further their cause by avoiding all those stupid personal foul and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties which seem to multiply every time we play New England. And don't hold or block in the back on every single kick off and punt return. These types of penalties were real factors in the first meeting. Maybe they lose, maybe they win, but don't giftwrap the game by giving up a lot of free penalty yardage by playing undisciplined football. Make them earn every foot on every play.

this whole post is a microcosm of what watching football, , the Bills, this season, and football in general the past few years, is. you sit, you watch, you wait.. then the flag appears.. just not what i remember as i watched football my whole life.

Edited by dwight in philly

this whole post is a microcosm of what watching football, and specifically, the Bills, this season, and football in general the past few years, is. you sit, you watch, you wait.. then the flag appears.. just not what i remember as i watched football my whole life.

Its to the point that I can not celebrate any play without waiting and watching for the flags first.

Its to the point that I can not celebrate any play without waiting and watching for the flags first.

not to sound like a "get off my lawn" old guy, which i am, but how did all this evolve? up until the past few years, we all sat, watched the game unfold, and a penalty was a big deal .. now when there isnt a penalty , it is like 'wow" a football play.. continue on..

Edited by dwight in philly

Here you go, just about ready to send out first thing Tuesday morning!

Dear NFL,

I was watching the Bills at Pats game and couldn't believe that __________ call on ________ down! Obviously the refs completely blew the call, giving (or taking away) ________ a first down on that play.

It's clearly obvious that _____________ had (or did not have) his hands all over ____________ long before the ball was there.

In addition the Personal Foul call on _(likely Jerry Hughes)_ was completely off base! I saw __________ do the exact same thing in the __________ game and no flag was thrown. It's my belief that the Bills and specifically _(likely Jerry Hughes)_ are being targeted by NFL officials.

If these calls are not made consistently (I / my family and I / my family, friends and I) are going to stop watching football all together!

I look forward to your explanation.

Love,

BillsMafia

not to sound like a "get off my lawn" old guy, which i am, but how did all this evolve? up until the past few years, we all sat, watched the game unfold, and a penalty was a big deal .. now when there isnt a penalty , it is like 'wow" a football play.. continue on..

It's recent, for sure. I think it started with the ref emphasis on D Holding last year. The NFL figured out a great way to "influence" games, and the refs love it because they get more facetime on TV.

It's recent, for sure. I think it started with the ref emphasis on D Holding last year. The NFL figured out a great way to "influence" games, and the refs love it because they get more facetime on TV.

that is for sure, but i cannot believe as im sure you will agree, the way the game as changed regarding interference. it has gotten to the point where it is part of the "game plan" .. mentioned by the talking heads doing the game, .. throw it long , get the call. i realize i strayed a bit off topic, but i expect everything that has been discussed on here to happen, more or less, on monday night.

This is so true. It's like you can't celebrate till at least ten seconds after the play. Especially against the Pats **

Yes and how could i forget the 15 second after the play "and now there is a flag on the field!?!" Even the announcers can't hide their surprise of how late the flag is.

Edited by Estelle Getty

Apparently pick plays aren't against the rules when it comes to the Pats. Their whole offense is predicated on them and they very rarely get called

And God forbid any of our defensive players touch Tom. 15 yards if we even breathe heavy on him

In fact, they just threw a flag for a personal foul on Hughes just so we can get it out of the way

If the Pats are going to use pick plays I might as well throw every damn D player I can to jam Gronk at the line of scrimmage. Preferably Lawson who at least has the size to try and slow him down.

Yes and how could i forget the 15 second after the play "and now there is a flag on the field!?!" Even the announcers can't hide their surprise of how late the flag is.

My favorite was against the Texans about ten years ago. Very late in the 4th (under 2 mins), Pats* down by 7 and Brady heaves a long ball into the end zone from midfield which is picked off to seemingly end the game. In fact, the announcers are talking game over when all of a sudden, about 20 seconds after the play, way upfield a hanky appears. They call something way away from the play that the announcers didn't understand or have film on. Pats* go on to score on that drive and win in OT, if my memory is correct.

That was at about the beginning of my personal suspicion about that team, which has been repeatedly borne out since.

Apparently pick plays aren't against the rules when it comes to the Pats. Their whole offense is predicated on them and they very rarely get called

And God forbid any of our defensive players touch Tom. 15 yards if we even breathe heavy on him

In fact, they just threw a flag for a personal foul on Hughes just so we can get it out of the way

It really is an interesting thing about the pick play. It was called twice, reversed once, in the nyj game. It seems like anything that other teams try to duplicate of the pats get called for it when they don't.

Regarding officiating this Monday night? With good reason (the bias treatment the pats have recieved by the refs since kraft bought the team). I would like league officials to at least keep an extra close eye on what is sure to be an insane amount of bogus calls and non calls in the pats favor to make sure they stay undefeated.

It is a sad state of affairs in the NFL when it is hard to even get excited for a game since you know the injustice the refs are about to dole out when playing the pats (it seems many fans regardless of their team feel this way when playing the pats). However what most fans don't seem to realize is how the refs usually decide the games in the pats favor in the second and third quarters. For example When a stop on 3rd and 7 in the 3rd quarter turns into a touchdown drive for the pats due to a phantom hands to the face call, that is a swing that is very hard to recover from. The refs do their best to offset this by throwing a meaningless defensive holding call against the pats on a first and ten from your own 25.

In closing i don't think anything can be done regarding this Monday night but at some point all NFL fans need to come together to let the NFL know the integrity of the game is being greatly compromised and we are aware of it. Perhaps this is why the NFL has the same protection as the WWE in the fact it is protected under the same entertainment laws. That cannot be said for any other major sport.

Contact US Senator Schumer with the concerns about the NFL. He oversees the Senate committee that give the NFL it's exemption from US monopoly laws. He has in the past, I think during the players union negotiations, threatened the NFL with the possibility of suspending their exemption if they didn't settle in good faith with the players union.

He also has a vested interest in the fact that he has three teams representing his NY constituents, and I might add, that he is always looking for a chance to make headlines, and to be in front of the cameras. I think this would be a made to order opportunity for him.

I no longer live in NYS so my input (and potential vote) to his office would be of little value to him.

His contact info;

Schumer, Charles E. - (D - NY) Class III 322 Hart Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510 (202) 224-6542 Contact: www.schumer.senate.gov/contact/email-chuck