When you've missed the playoffs for 15 years...

...there are no "ugly" wins.

Waking up this morning and reading some of the headlines, that word has been thrown around in abundance.

Was it pretty? No. When you're offense goes nearly a full quarter without a first down, when you watch as your former quarterback, who by the way will never be anything more than average, just as his offensive coordinator will never be anything more than average, nearly brings the opposing team back from the depths of embarrassment to pull off a comeback that may very well have shattered your entire season, and it's a movie you've seen the ending to way too many times over the course of the last decade-and-a-half, any type of win you can get, especially in the division, and it puts you in the 5 seed this deep into the season, and puts you at 3-1 in the division all the while, is a good win.

As far as Rex goes, look, the whole pomp and circumstance that accommodated this game, all things considered, wasn't that bad in my opinion. It actually could've been way more distracting to teams that we've fielded in previous years. But this group handled it with great poise and they should be commended for that.

A coach who supposedly stayed in the locker room until, literally, minutes from kick off because he didn't want to make the game about him, sure made it way more about him, unintentional or otherwise. I'm glad we, and Rex, came out on top one way or another in this game. Because, if we didn't, the wheels would've flown off the season.

Now, a few random thoughts:

Kudos to the defense for rising to the occasion after the botched handling by Colton Schmitt. Our teams in previous years would've almost certainly layed down and conceded after such a 1993-Oiler-esque gaffe.

Down the stretch, Greg Roman probably outta find some way to use Tyrod Taylor's mobility a bit more conscientiously, as I would rather not rest my team's playoff hopes on the likes of Josh Johnson, or that other guy who was so god-awful across the pond that he was a healthy scratch for this contest.

Sammy Watkins may have only had three catches on Revis Island, but the end zone over Revis' head non-catch was a thing to behold. Hey, if the Odell Beckham d*ck riders can ramble on and on about his "almost" great catches, why can't we, right?

In two years (if not sooner), Ronald Darby will be the top shut down corner in the league. What a find by Whaley!

The sideline to sideline run plays called by Roman drive me nuts, even though they sometimes do have success. Just a pet-peeve of mine.

All in all, I'm probably gonna savor this win until I squeeze every drop out of it for the next ten days, because a trip to Foxborough awaits. Buffalo, for whatever reason, seems to play better in New England than at home against the Pats. But I don't think it will matter, so I'll just choose to bask in this huge, division road win for now. After the Pats game, if we stay healthy, 11-5 or 10-6 shouldn't be that hard to obtain.

Go Bills!

I have no idea why Bills fans are impressed with last night's win. Ryan Fitzpatrick? Hello???

I'm certain you don't

Of course, there are the rest of us that realize that winning a road game in a short week against a well-coached divisional opponent with a tough defense and a winning record in prime time with a national audience is an accomplishment.

We definitely need to get a better pass rush from the front four coming down the stretch as well. Mario, according to Rex, was sicker than a dog last night. But, hopefully, when the New England game rolls around, we'll have our d-line back at full strength. Including Kyle Williams, who, for whatever reason, seems to play out of his mind against the Pats!

Or that the game was played on a Thursday...have you watched any of these games?

I'll take the "ugly" win, 5-4, 3-1 in the division and the 5 seed over what was eerily close to being an even uglier, season breaking loss any day of the week. Thanks tho...

I'll take the "ugly" win, 5-4, 3-1 in the division and the 5 seed over what was eerily close to being an even uglier, season breaking loss any day of the week. Thanks tho...

Not sure if that's directed at me, but...

Yes, it was an ugly win, which is more than fine with me. Nearly all Thursday games are ugly, and with good reason: guys get half the rest they normally do; most teams don't even run a normal practice. There's almost no time to prepare.

If you want to win a road game on a Thursday, you're very likely going to do it ugly.

That's my point.

would you like us to be upset about beating a division opponent on national TV on the road to put us in a wild card spot?

You must not know this poster very well.

Yes, that's the case.

...there are no "ugly" wins.

Waking up this morning and reading some of the headlines, that word has been thrown around in abundance.

Was it pretty? No. When you're offense goes nearly a full quarter without a first down, when you watch as your former quarterback, who by the way will never be anything more than average, just as his offensive coordinator will never be anything more than average, nearly brings the opposing team back from the depths of embarrassment to pull off a comeback that may very well have shattered your entire season, and it's a movie you've seen the ending to way too many times over the course of the last decade-and-a-half, any type of win you can get, especially in the division, and it puts you in the 5 seed this deep into the season, and puts you at 3-1 in the division all the while, is a good win.

As far as Rex goes, look, the whole pomp and circumstance that accommodated this game, all things considered, wasn't that bad in my opinion. It actually could've been way more distracting to teams that we've fielded in previous years. But this group handled it with great poise and they should be commended for that.

A coach who supposedly stayed in the locker room until, literally, minutes from kick off because he didn't want to make the game about him, sure made it way more about him, unintentional or otherwise. I'm glad we, and Rex, came out on top one way or another in this game. Because, if we didn't, the wheels would've flown off the season.

Now, a few random thoughts:

Kudos to the defense for rising to the occasion after the botched handling by Colton Schmitt. Our teams in previous years would've almost certainly layed down and conceded after such a 1993-Oiler-esque gaffe.

Down the stretch, Greg Roman probably outta find some way to use Tyrod Taylor's mobility a bit more conscientiously, as I would rather not rest my team's playoff hopes on the likes of Josh Johnson, or that other guy who was so god-awful across the pond that he was a healthy scratch for this contest.

Sammy Watkins may have only had three catches on Revis Island, but the end zone over Revis' head non-catch was a thing to behold. Hey, if the Odell Beckham d*ck riders can ramble on and on about his "almost" great catches, why can't we, right?

In two years (if not sooner), Ronald Darby will be the top shut down corner in the league. What a find by Whaley!

The sideline to sideline run plays called by Roman drive me nuts, even though they sometimes do have success. Just a pet-peeve of mine.

All in all, I'm probably gonna savor this win until I squeeze every drop out of it for the next ten days, because a trip to Foxborough awaits. Buffalo, for whatever reason, seems to play better in New England than at home against the Pats. But I don't think it will matter, so I'll just choose to bask in this huge, division road win for now. After the Pats game, if we stay healthy, 11-5 or 10-6 shouldn't be that hard to obtain.

Go Bills!

Good stuff. I was pissed beyond all belief after that muffed punt but today....today, we live to fight another day.

I have no idea why Bills fans are impressed with last night's win. Ryan Fitzpatrick? Hello???

The Jets had the #1 rush defense and we hung the most yards on them they have allowed all year, not to mention the fact they have a pretty good team overall. For all of the people wishing we hadn't traded for McCoy, hopefully, now you see why we did. Shady makes a 10 yard gain out of a potential 3 yard loss. When healthy he is a top 5 back in this league. This was an EXCELLENT win for us last night and our defense came through without Mario OR Kyle playing.

It was a nice win. We're now back in the wild card race for real. The last 5 days could have knocked us out of it completely (2 losses) or left us hanging by a thread (1 loss). We've now established definitively that this is the 2nd best team in the AFC East. But Rex .... yeah, love the emotion and all that, but you kind of tell the world that this was your personal playoff game, your personal Super Bowl, when you go all fist-pumping wild over winning ugly against a mediocre team.

By the way, I don't think Fitzy was terrible at all. The first pick? That's a ball Brandon Marshall pulls in probably 80% of the time. (Not a great decision making that throw, but they've been winning on Marshall's ability to snag those balls all year so he ain't chaingin now) And Marshall had a big drop later on too. I don't understand the Jets game plan, but Fitzy had them in position to win despite the two turnovers.

It was an ugly win and we came close to blowing it yet again. A decent QB on the Jets and we would of lost.

Yes I'm cynical.. I'm not giving this team or franchise an inch. I lost my patience during the 1st half of this season and this is the results.. I'm Not taking solace in ugly wins

Edited by ddaryl

Not sure if that's directed at me, but...

Yes, it was an ugly win, which is more than fine with me. Nearly all Thursday games are ugly, and with good reason: guys get half the rest they normally do; most teams don't even run a normal practice. There's almost no time to prepare.

If you want to win a road game on a Thursday, you're very likely going to do it ugly.

That's my point.

You must not know this poster very well.

Yes, that's the case.

No win is a legitimate win unless you dominate on both sides of the ball.

The entire game from start to finish.

And give up no points.

And run and pass effectively.

And don't turn the ball over.

Ever.

And don't take any penalties or make mental errors.

And score touchdowns not field goals.

On good passes or good runs, not bad passes to guys wide open that wouldn't have been touchdowns.

Against the Patriots.

In the playoffs.

Or I don't want to hear about it.

Talk to me then.

We beat a team who had a better record than us and who came within a TD of New England. And they had Fitz who is a decent QB. And now we have a winning record in mid-November. No good reason not to be happy about that.

Preach!! How many ugly games have we lost over the years and no one was there to give the Bills style points. You're definitely right it's mid November and we have a winning record. Lets just enjoy the win. GO BILLS!!