The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

Regarding the Marquette situation that TYTT referenced earlier.

George Orwell Call Your Office: Marquette Demands Ritual Apology From Embattled Professor

There’s nothing like a good show trial to build confidence in the academy’s commitment to academic freedom. Marquette University is demanding that embattled professor John McAdams apologize for criticizing a colleague as a condition for keeping his job. And what outrage did McAdams commit? He tried to protect the academic freedom and free speech of conservative students:
You read that correctly. Rather than discipline the instructor who silenced a conservative student, the university suspended the whistleblower. Now it’s reportedly extending the suspension through the fall 2016 semester and demanding that he apologize as a condition of returning to work. My former colleagues at the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) are right to label the forced apology “an age-old inquisitorial tactic used to violate freedom of conscience through compelled speech.”
McAdams — to his immense credit — is not backing down. Here’s his response:
I would say that it’s astonishing that a Catholic university punish a professor for defending the right of students to advocate the church’s teaching on marriage, but politically correct nonsense is par for the course even (especially) at many religious colleges.
McAdams should be applauded — and supported — for his lonely, courageous stand.

Are we SURE that the reason for the punishment from the university is for defending the right of the conservative student to express his opinion?

Something just seems kind of fishy... For example, I COULD see the university taking this action if the discipline is for something like 'outing' a colleague on the basis of an illegally recorded conversation. I'll point out that I don't really know what the actual stated *reason* from the university is for the discipline, but that I could understand the action if my 'scenario' was the reason.

I DO know that I don't care enough about this to try and find out :D

First thing I thought too.

She's a media major and he's in a band. Figures that she would be the terrible actress.

I'm trying to figure out if their intention is to mock all of the people with the safe spaces and micro aggressions and whatnot or if it is to mock the people that end up using their fake incident as evidence of how ridiculous things have gotten.

I hope it is the former but I fear it is the ladder.

I'm trying to figure out if their intention is to mock all of the people with the safe spaces and micro aggressions and whatnot or if it is to mock the people that end up using their fake incident as evidence of how ridiculous things have gotten.

I hope it is the former but I fear it is the ladder.

:lol:

All across the country, on every campus...................

#TheChalkening.

Not everyone doing it is a Trump fan, by any means, but all are supporters of free speech — and of tweaking college crybullies.

I recommend that you click on it.

Some funny comments in there :lol:

Glad to see this! Freedom of speech!" #TheChalkening, students awaken!

https://youtu.be/24e_aF9CKVQ " http://disq.us/9fpeo9

I survived #TheChalkening one of the most deadly and widespread terrorist attacks in the history of the United States............. :lol:

Even the squirrels on campus are traumatized. #TheChalkening pic.twitter.com/lzvVDTn6J5

CfCbtemUYAAB6yG.jpg

College Students Mistake Priest for KKK Member, Panic http://bit.ly/1RXZ6ia

My favorite part is mistaking the (standard) rope belt for a "whip"

:lol:

Indiana University’s annual tuition for non-residents, combined with room and board, is $44,764.

Edited by B-Man