11-10: Doug Whaley on WGR

26CornerBlitz

Whaley is the least of our problems. Seriously, WGAS if he trips over his words. The guy has been doing a great job and anyone who thinks different doesn't have a clue. We didn't have a first round pick this year and have offensive and defensive rookie of the year candidates. What else do you want!?!?

Just listened to the first 4.5 minutes. He sounds perfectly fine. I have no idea what people are talking about with regard to his public speaking.

I listened to the whole interview. There was nothing wrong with it. As a GM he is cautious about what he says, especially when discussing who he is scouting. He also has to be cautious and diplomatic when discussing issues about referreeing and particular players.

I'm a Whaley fan. For me he represents a younger and more modern front office approach compared to the staid old guard approach that had made this organization invisible.

Just listened to the first 4.5 minutes. He sounds perfectly fine. I have no idea what people are talking about with regard to his public speaking.

He sounds reasonably intelligent, but in a media world of dynamic and charismatic speakers he falls a little flat. Fortunately, a GM's job is to build a team, not sound like a talk show host.

We hate Rex because he's a talker. We hate Whaley because he's not a talker.

There's one common theme here.

I thought we liked Rex? No?

Why am I always the last to know? :wallbash:

Whaley is the least of our problems. Seriously, WGAS if he trips over his words. The guy has been doing a great job and anyone who thinks different doesn't have a clue. We didn't have a first round pick this year and have offensive and defensive rookie of the year candidates. What else do you want!?!?

This

He sounds reasonably intelligent, but in a media world of dynamic and charismatic speakers he falls a little flat. Fortunately, a GM's job is to build a team, not sound like a talk show host.

:

He's just careful with his words. You can tell when he doesn't want to go too far. He doesn't want to badmouth anyone. It's a little boring at times and too politically correct for me because he's diplomatic but no one should misinterpret that for lack of intelligence.

I seem to be the one who started this little argument so I'll explain my initial comment. I have no problem with the way Whaley speaks. He is clear, and explains himself very well. He does however have a terrible tendency to make up words or use one that completely does not apply to the point he is trying to get across. Those tend to be "bigger" words, thus my joking he should limit the syllabled words he uses. This week's example... "Obviously we're in a microcosm and people want to talk about it".

Alright, carry on. :flirt:

He's just careful with his words. You can tell when he doesn't want to go too far. He doesn't want to badmouth anyone. It's a little boring at times and too politically correct for me because he's diplomatic but no one should misinterpret that for lack of intelligence.

Unless, of course, you're packin' a 60 IQ to begin with.

For a person with a position of that level, he is one of the worst speakers I have ever heard.

Marv was an eloquent GM.... I'll gladly accept choppy incoherent dialog if it paves the way to a talented roster.

Right he doesn't dance around secretive topics poetically or adeptly. Perhaps he is a process oriented person and therefore doesn't think we'll on his feet. Rex can find a way to use up his mic time...

I seem to be the one who started this little argument so I'll explain my initial comment. I have no problem with the way Whaley speaks. He is clear, and explains himself very well. He does however have a terrible tendency to make up words or use one that completely does not apply to the point he is trying to get across. Those tend to be "bigger" words, thus my joking he should limit the syllabled words he uses. This week's example... "Obviously we're in a microcosm and people want to talk about it".

Alright, carry on. :flirt:

Sure- "he meant obviously we're under a microscope" but those idioms tend to be picked up environmentally and in his environment he's surrounded my meat head jocks, and guys who've made a living running, jumping and running into other people. He obviously picked up the sentence opener from the last head coach.

While I do think neither of them is very good at public speaking I do think in both cases they are very intelligent and know what they are doing. Speaking just isn't there thing. Personally would rather have that than the opposite guy who speaks great and knows nothing i.e. a snake oil salesman.

You mean like Rex?

Whaley came from Pittsburg. What do you expect. The owner is from PA. What do you expect. Ever hear Einstein speak? Me neither. Bet he was really bad but good at his job. What one has to do with the other is beyond me. I'm more concerned with Rex's mouth. For a four and four coach he sure talks a lot. Bill doesn' t talk at all and is 8 and 0. Makes me wonder about our big mouth.

Whaley came from Pittsburg. What do you expect. The owner is from PA. What do you expect. Ever hear Einstein speak? Me neither. Bet he was really bad but good at his job. What one has to do with the other is beyond me. I'm more concerned with Rex's mouth. For a four and four coach he sure talks a lot. Bill doesn' t talk at all and is 8 and 0. Makes me wonder about our big mouth.

Einstein was from Pittsburgh?