Tyrod Taylor stats

I have not fully allowed myself the all out sob session where I get down on my knees and thank god that the long national nightmare is over. I will say this. His tendency to make a big play seems to increase the more critical the situation. Take the knockout blow TD to watkins yesterday on third and forever. You know how many times chan and Fitz went for the knockout like that with a game semi in control. Chan and fitz failed every time. And Tyrod strikes gold. He also stood taller under pressure v the pats and he won the game against the Titans by himself when roman could come up with no other option. Performing better under pressure is known in some circles as the "it" factor.

Edited by Charles Romes

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you came around. But just a few weeks ago, you insisted that Manuel would be an upgrade going into Cincinnati. I said he would not be. Then you said you'd bet me that the Bills would have more first downs against the Bengals under Manuel than they did against Tennessee under Taylor. They did. They also got McCoy and Watkins back for that game. I could have countered by saying I bet they have less first downs than they did against New England but I was suspended for ten days before I could respond.

My prior insistence that EJ should be given the chance that he got (which unfortunately came through injury) was based on four things:

1) EJ looked to have taken some major strides as a pocket passer in pre-season.

2) Quarterbacks, if they are going to make the jump, tend to take major strides in their third NFL season.

3) I firmly believe that a strong pocket presence is necessary to win consistently in the NFL game.

4) I do not believe that Tyrod Taylor has now, or has the ability to develop, a strong pocket presence.

Given those, I feel/felt that the best chance that the Bills have/had, was for EJ to make that third year leap. He didn't, and I feel at this point that there are no strong arguments in his favor.

However, I'm also not at all optimistic about this team for this season or the next two or three. I'm going to try very hard not to rehash the things I said in other threads, I just thought I'd clarify here since it became relevant.

My prior insistence that EJ should be given the chance that he got (which unfortunately came through injury) was based on four things:

2) Quarterbacks, if they are going to make the jump, tend to take major strides in their third NFL season.

3) I firmly believe that a strong pocket presence is necessary to win consistently in the NFL game.

4) I do not believe that Tyrod Taylor has now, or has the ability to develop, a strong pocket presence.

Given those, I feel/felt that the best chance that the Bills have/had, was for EJ to make that third year leap. He didn't, and I feel at this point that there are no strong arguments in his favor.

However, I'm also not at all optimistic about this team for this season or the next two or three. I'm going to try very hard not to rehash the things I said in other threads, I just thought I'd clarify here since it became relevant.

I want to see more games.....but right now I am at a pretty good place as far as QB goes

Roman is developing his QB but also knows he needs to win games.

IN MY OPINION Tyrod Taylor is a inigma......

- One of the best athletes on the field

- I have already posted his current statline......which is top 5 in most catagories

I feel that this is the QB the Falcons were looking for when they drafted Michael Vick number 1 overall. He looks like he has an opportunity to excell where Vick did not. He cannot be guaged on previous QBs because he brings some things that are uncommon in the NFL.

He needs to be able to throw from the pocket.....and I am waiting to see if he develops that. Right now he looks great.

My favorite players are the ones who exceed my expectations, like Fred. TT has been far better than I anticipated. His game may not be perfect, but right now I feel good about our chances of winning anytime he is starting, and that's good enough for me. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rico

My favorite players are the ones who exceed my expectations, like Fred. TT has been far better than I anticipated. His game may not be perfect, but right now I feel good about our chances of winning anytime he is starting, and that's good enough for me. :thumbsup:

The next game is gonna be interesting......because Miami was the TT/Sammy Watkins show

We need to get others involved...Clay and Woods were invisible

The next game is gonna be interesting......because Miami was the TT/Sammy Watkins show

We need to get others involved...Clay and Woods were invisible

Yeah, Watkins will be visiting Revis Island. He gave Revis some issues last year despite not getting a ton of balls against him. It is always hard to depend on someone vs. Revis. I think that Charles Clay will be a big part of the gameplan.

What is it that you've seen in Taylor that makes you think he will never have a strong pocket presence? I'm just curious.

The problem was that you were dead wrong on this stuff.

A lot of fans were fooled by the pre-season performances. I had some arguments about how EJ showed the same issues and inconsistencies in pre-season. People loved the numbers.

Tyrod has developed better pocket presence than EJ. Tyrod benefited from better training at Baltimore.

EJ did not play Sunday Tyrod did. How about we keep the discussion in line of what happened and not pure speculation.

You almost had me convinced until I read this - Compare that to EJ who frequently jeopardizes the health and well-being of his receivers when he throws to them?

Seriously? Tyrod NEVER throws to guys over the middle? Tyrod is always on target? Don't fool yourself. As good as Tyrod has been he's not perfect.

EJ did not play Sunday Tyrod did. How about we keep the discussion in line of what happened and not pure speculation.

12 passes in a game makes one great and limits the plays that call for a pass over the middle or to the remaining receiving corps.

If Tryod was great going 11 of 12 what of Tannehill's 17 straight completions (was it) before the Bills pressure broke through the Miami O line and Ryan finishing with 27 of 36 and 309 yards?

I was making the comparison between EJ and TT and pointing out why EJ will not be a starter in this league and why TT has a chance to be a good starter in this league. I never, and no one else has stated that TT is a perfect player. That comment you made is very odd.

You are correct that EJ did not play Sunday and there is a good reason for it----he is an inadequate qb who at best could develop into a reasonable backup. EJ has had more than enough time to demonstrate his assets and liabilities. He has not demonstrated enough progression in his game to allow anyone who is half objective to accept the fact that he will never will be a starter for the Bills. If you find that to be a controversial judgment then so be it. That's your opinion.

I'm not an EJ basher. Never have been. I wasn't against drafting him in the first round. I wanted him to have an opportunity to play and demonstrate his capabilities. My judgment on him is I don't believe that he will ever be a franchise qb in this league. It is safe to say that it is the majority view of anyone who has watched him play. If you think differently that's okay.

A lot of fans were fooled by the pre-season performances. I had some arguments about how EJ showed the same issues and inconsistencies in pre-season. People loved the numbers.

Tyrod has developed better pocket presence than EJ. Tyrod benefited from better training at Baltimore.

That's the thing. At no point does he come close to acknowledging that he was wrong and most were right. And like I said, I'm getting sick of people on here who are wrong time and time again (there is one guy in particular- not TYTT- who is like 0 for his last 6) about QB's continue to loudly and boldly insert their opinion on the next QB in question when they are always wrong. And to the other guy's point, what did TYTT see in Manuel that led him to believe his array of problems could be fixed after 14 games but that Taylor can't develop better pocket presence after six games??

Edited by metzelaars_lives

What is it that you've seen in Taylor that makes you think he will never have a strong pocket presence? I'm just curious.

Some here have disagreed, but there are certain things a quarterback should be able to do in their fifth year in the league. Their disagree stems from the fact that Tyrod did not have much play time during that five year span, but it is indisputable that he has had five NFL off-season regiments, five years of OTAs, five years of voluntary workouts, five years of Pre-Seasons, five years of NFL positional coaching, five full seasons of NFL practice, five full seasons of preparing every single week as if he was going to be the starter; partner that with the fact that Tyrod is highly spoken of by both current and former teammates and coaches as a film room junkie and for his incredible work ethic... an well...

I believe that the Tyrod Taylor you see today is fairly close to his ceiling.

Some here have disagreed, but there are certain things a quarterback should be able to do in their fifth year in the league. Their disagree stems from the fact that Tyrod did not have much play time during that five year span, but it is indisputable that he has had five NFL off-season regiments, five years of OTAs, five years of voluntary workouts, five years of Pre-Seasons, five years of NFL positional coaching, five full seasons of NFL practice, five full seasons of preparing every single week as if he was going to be the starter; partner that with the fact that Tyrod is highly spoken of by both current and former teammates and coaches as a film room junkie and for his incredible work ethic... an well...

I disagree....because there was much talk of Tyrod getting better each day in camp and that was splitting reps between 3 different qbs

I think he can get better

It wasn't EJ's pre-season numbers, it was his pre-season performances, coupled with normal development trends at his position; but I digress.

Yes, Tyrod's pocket presence is better than that of EJ Manuel. We all, I think, know that now that we've had a chance to see him in regular season games in his third NFL season. But EJ has the pocket presence of David Carr, so are we sure that's the measuring stick you want to use? You can be a lot better than EJ Manuel, and still not be any good.

I disagree....because there was much talk of Tyrod getting better each day in camp and that was splitting reps between 3 different qbs

I think he can get better

With more time in the system with the same skill players, he should get a little better.

There's not much to complain about, anyway. If this is his ceiling, that's not really a bad thing, is it?

Like being a president of the U.S. there is really no apprenticeship for the speed and intensity and the game planning of the NFL regular season. Training camps and preseason can only get you ready so much. Playing in the regular season for some time is the only way to learn how to truly read defenses and go through all your progressions. Sure, the four training camps helped him enormously. But it is only 1/10th the same as playing four seasons.

It wasn't EJ's pre-season numbers, it was his pre-season performances, coupled with normal development trends at his position; but I digress.

You could have seen that he wasn't following the "normal development trends" as he made the same mistakes he's been making since day one.

There was no reason to want EJ to start over Tyrod, unless you were completely fooled by the numbers. We all hoped (most of us, anyway) that EJ would make the leap, but he didn't.

With more time in the system with the same skill players, he should get a little better.

There's not much to complain about, anyway. If this is his ceiling, that's not really a bad thing, is it?

Actually...this is where TTT and I agree (what!) I do feel that in order to become a legit franchise QB.....he has to show the ability to make throws from the pocket.

I dont want him doing it much because the rest of his game is so great....but he has to make throws here and there to keep defenses honest.