Syracuse Basketball 2015-2016

inkman

I thought he was guarded a lot better the last few games. No open looks that he could step into.

By the way, I would like to see more of the Roberson-Coleman-Lydon back line playing together. i would just rotate in and out all the guards until you find the hot hands. Might mean there are games where cooney plays 10 minutes and others where he plays 40.

I agree with the hot hand approach to guard play, and quite honestly, I don't think Cooney has deserved the seemingly unconditional strangle hold on the 2. I like the idea of Gbinije-Richardson-Lydon-Roberson-Coleman. F$&k it! Let's force it down low sometimes and see what happens!! Let's bang some teams around a little bit. Those big boys in the ACC are going to make us look like a D-III team.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to finish off the Bills' loss by watching St. John's put the beat down on SU. Our defense is really bad this year.

My dvr didn't record it and I'm pretty happy that I didn't have to add more disappointment to yesterday.

Uggh...ACC play is going to be ugly with that putrid defense. Silver lining to this cloud is what could be (if everyone stays) a very solid group next year.

Next year we will have a true center in the middle of the zone, Paschal Chukwu (7'2" transfer). He's been getting rave reviews from the coaching staff and media about his work in practice. Add in DC2 and potential commit Taureen Thompson for depth down low and we suddenly have a front court presence. Our biggest prize of the 16 class is Tyus "kid mamba" Battle...a 6'6" guard who will probably run the point next to Malachi Richardson. Also bringing highly touted SF Matthew Moyer who is tearing up the high school and club hoops circuit right now. More depth and longer/more athletic at key positions.

C: Paschal Chukwu 7'2"/DC2

PF: Tyler Roberson/Tyler Lydon

SF: Tyler Ludon/Matthew Moyer

SG: Malachi Richardson 6'7"/ Frank Howard

PG: Tyus Battle 6'6"/ Kaleb Joseph

Hate to look forward to next season already, but things aren't looking good right now. Also, is it just me, or does Hop seem almost lifeless on the bench? As badly as the defense played yesterday, you would think he would be raging mad. IDK...

• 3 weeks later...

Tough loss. I actually thought we had this game, despite getting killed on the glass. I am not sure what else they can do to improve on rebounding; they are just small.

Hopefully they learn from it and build on it as ACC play gets harder.

I actually thought they played their best game since Atlantis, and I loved the DC2, Lydon 5-4 lineup. If not for foul trouble I think they would have won. Really liked seeing the guards driving to the basket more and shoot fewer 3's. Moving forward, IMO, Chino is going to have to get 8-10 minutes/game for this team to be successful in conference play.

I actually thought they played their best game since Atlantis, and I loved the DC2, Lydon 5-4 lineup. If not for foul trouble I think they would have won. Really liked seeing the guards driving to the basket more and shoot fewer 3's. Moving forward, IMO, Chino is going to have to get 8-10 minutes/game for this team to be successful in conference play.

Agreed on all accounts. I thought MR had his best game too, and it was because he was driving so

Much. Agree in Chino too, though we lose a lot on offense when he is in.

Uggh...ACC play is going to be ugly with that putrid defense. Silver lining to this cloud is what could be (if everyone stays) a very solid group next year.

Next year we will have a true center in the middle of the zone, Paschal Chukwu (7'2" transfer). He's been getting rave reviews from the coaching staff and media about his work in practice. Add in DC2 and potential commit Taureen Thompson for depth down low and we suddenly have a front court presence. Our biggest prize of the 16 class is Tyus "kid mamba" Battle...a 6'6" guard who will probably run the point next to Malachi Richardson. Also bringing highly touted SF Matthew Moyer who is tearing up the high school and club hoops circuit right now. More depth and longer/more athletic at key positions.

C: Paschal Chukwu 7'2"/DC2

PF: Tyler Roberson/Tyler Lydon

SF: Tyler Ludon/Matthew Moyer

SG: Malachi Richardson 6'7"/ Frank Howard

PG: Tyus Battle 6'6"/ Kaleb Joseph

Hate to look forward to next season already, but things aren't looking good right now. Also, is it just me, or does Hop seem almost lifeless on the bench? As badly as the defense played yesterday, you would think he would be raging mad. IDK...

I'm assuming DC2 is Coleman. I'm not sure how but he's a senior.

I could be mistaken, but it is my understanding that Coleman has one year of eligibility left due to his medical red shirt last season. He could play next season as a first year graduate student.

It would make sense but I'm uncertain why they wouldn't refer to him as a red shirt junior.

Malachi did everything he could to keep this one close. Another disappointing game. Other than Lydon, who for all intents and purposes isn't really a bench player, we had no bench help. Play Frank Howard!

I HATE YOU, TREVOR COONEY!

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Very frustrating to watch this team. Almost seems like they're trying to lose the game down the stretch. Eighteen turnovers, 8 by the PG, is piss poor. And what the hell is up with Cooney. Plays his guts out every game, but totally blows it in big moments. It's just going to get worse and worse. Louisville, UNC, Duke? Really?

I never thought we would have a chance if Gbinije played that badly, but everyone else stepped up and kept it close. Malachi is the truth. As for Cooney, son of a B word...

tumblr_mbhkbxr0Zl1qdb4cxo1_r1_500.gif

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Geez-- another tough loss. In these 4 losses, every one of them, Syracuse could have won. Tied or ahead down the stretch, and then Cuse makes some bad turnovers and the game flips.

And oftentimes it is the vets making those bad turnovers. Pretty frustrating.

I never thought we would have a chance if Gbinije played that badly, but everyone else stepped up and kept it close. Malachi is the truth. As for Cooney, son of a B word...

If someone had told you going in that Paige would only have 3 pts. you'd have been expecting a 'Cuse win, I'm sure.

After Cooney's three to put the Orange up 56-50 the Heels put on an offensive clinic on how to beat the zone for the final 8 minutes.

That was a crazy atmosphere; the fact Carolina won that game bodes very well for them as this season progresses.

I still think Syracuse will get to .500 in the conference despite the bad start.

If someone had told you going in that Paige would only have 3 pts. you'd have been expecting a 'Cuse win, I'm sure.

After Cooney's three to put the Orange up 56-50 the Heels put on an offensive clinic on how to beat the zone for the final 8 minutes.

That was a crazy atmosphere; the fact Carolina won that game bodes very well for them as this season progresses.

I still think Syracuse will get to .500 in the conference despite the bad start.

Re UNC, first off, how in the world does that team have so many players stick around there? I would have thought Paige and Johnson would have left for the NBA early.

Despite all that talent, I actually thought Joel James was the most impressive player out there (from an NBA-potential standpoint). Even though I am usually wrong about stuff like this, I would bet that he has a great NBA career. Really nice touch for a guy that is so huge and will be able to collect a million rebounds in the NBA.

Re UNC, first off, how in the world does that team have so many players stick around there? I would have thought Paige and Johnson would have left for the NBA early.

Despite all that talent, I actually thought Joel James was the most impressive player out there (from an NBA-potential standpoint). Even though I am usually wrong about stuff like this, I would bet that he has a great NBA career. Really nice touch for a guy that is so huge and will be able to collect a million rebounds in the NBA.

UNC is one of the teams that have a real chance to cut down the nets in April. They are that good. Cuse, I don't know bunch of tough losses in a row. They are going to have a tough time digging themselves out of this hole. Good news is playing in a top heavy ACC, they still have a couple chances to get that Marquee win to try to get into the tournament. Uphill climb though for sure.

Edited by Gordio

Coleman getting some confidence and good minutes is really helping. He just needs to be smarter with his fouls. His 4th foul today was ridiculously stupid.

Nope, not this year. UNC has more people that can pick up the slack if Paige has an off night. If one of the top three for Syracuse is off, things get very bleak.

This is not a great Dook team but a win in Cameron is always a significant accomplishment. I told you guys after the UNC game that 'Cuse would be fine in the ACC -- 3-0 since that loss.

Meanwhile, Dook has to go to Raleigh this weekend to face a desperate NC State team looking for their first ACC win (they play Pitt tonight but that's probably an L). Could the Dookies possibly lose 4 straight?

I saw the clip, and it looked like he did shake hands but it was a very lethargic gesture. I don't have a problem with it, i also think it was an excellent no-call, both players were going for the ball, not to mention, SU still had a foul to give so it would have resulted in an out of bounds play...i get the emotions of both coaches, Coach K is still a pretty decent person. it'll take a lot more than this to sully his name in my eyes....but hell yeah, we CRUSHED 'EM!!!!!

Coach K wouldn't shake hands after the loss ? Hahahahahaha

Welcome to the ACC Cuse, beat Duke and lose to Unc And I can love the Cuse like I used to love Gary Williams and Maryland.

I saw the clip, and it looked like he did shake hands but it was a very lethargic gesture. I don't have a problem with it, i also think it was an excellent no-call, both players were going for the ball, not to mention, SU still had a foul to give so it would have resulted in an out of bounds play...i get the emotions of both coaches, Coach K is still a pretty decent person. it'll take a lot more than this to sully his name in my eyes....but hell yeah, we CRUSHED 'EM!!!!!

K thinks Duke should get every call come crunch time & for the most part they do especially at Cameron. When they don't get those calls K whines and pouts like the little b*tch that he is.

K thinks Duke should get every call come crunch time & for the most part they do especially at Cameron. When they don't get those calls K whines and pouts like the little b*tch that he is.

all of this nothing brings me more joy than watching Coach K scrunch up his nose and pout.

coach K and Bellychex losses = all of the joy

What a great win! The difference was that unlike out 3 ACC losses, when the game was on the line, we hit shots and didn't turn the ball over. We were tied or ahead late in all of our other losses, but then imploded. But they held it together against Duke.

As JB said after the game, best defensive effort too of the year. The defense was like a thousand times better--cut off passing lanes, got out on shooters. Hopefully, the zone is starting to click with some of these younger guys, like Lydon and MR.

Finally, I can't remember a more workmanlike/hustler performance by a Cuse player ever than out of Roberson. He truly wanted it more than any other guy out there.

https://www.gofundme.com/pearlwashington

I posted this in the Shoutbox also. I'm not trying to make anyone feel obligated, but if you're like me and you love Syracuse Basketball, you can donate a little coin to help out one of the greatest of all time.

As his brain cancer has taken a turn for the worse, Pearl Washington needs some help to make his final time on this earth as comfortable as possible. Like many of you I grew up idolizing Pearl Washington. Great player, great ambassador for the program, and an even better human being.

That is all....GO CUSE!!