Syracuse Basketball 2015-2016

inkman

The silent G era is upon us. :beer: Preseason win over Lemoyne. The perimeter game Boeheim predicted was in full force. DeJuan looked good. Doubt this team does any damage but they could be fun to watch if they can hit their 3s. Malachi Richardson looks as advertised. As a reminder, Jim won't be on the sidelines for the Cuses first 9 games.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2015/11/syracuse_unveils_new-look_3-point_attack_in_exhibition_win_over_le_moyne.html#incart_m-rpt-1

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first 9 ACC games

hopefully the perimeter game will go a long way to making trevor cooney the threat we think he might be

The silent G era is upon us. :beer: Preseason win over Lemoyne. The perimeter game Boeheim predicted was in full force. DeJuan looked good. Doubt this team does any damage but they could be fun to watch if they can hit their 3s. Malachi Richardson looks as advertised. As a reminder, Jim won't be on the sidelines for the Cuses first 9 games.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2015/11/syracuse_unveils_new-look_3-point_attack_in_exhibition_win_over_le_moyne.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Cooney 0-3 from downtown last night. Looks like it's working wonders.

Actually it did seem to be working last night....that is if I'm interpreting Pooj's comment correctly. Having a perimeter shooting game causes defenders to actually extend out and defend those shooters, which opens up the middle of the floor for players like Cooney to "slash" to the rim and make plays. Which he did at least a couple times last night.....against LeMoyne.

what i was trying to say was that with a more effective perimeter game, it takes some of the pressure off cooney in terms of teams focusing on just him as our only outside threat. now they have Malachi, Silent G etc to focus on as well....hopefully

Actually it did seem to be working last night....that is if I'm interpreting Pooj's comment correctly. Having a perimeter shooting game causes defenders to actually extend out and defend those shooters, which opens up the middle of the floor for players like Cooney to "slash" to the rim and make plays. Which he did at least a couple times last night.....against LeMoyne.

I am so stoked about this season. I heard Lydon is the real deal.

And I love the new offensive mindset-- hopefully we will see less of the grind it out style of the last few years.

I also look forward to another full year of complaining about Cooney. :D

By the way, who is this Frank Howard fellow? Is he supposed to play much this year? First time I have heard his name.

I am so stoked about this season. I heard Lydon is the real deal.

And I love the new offensive mindset-- hopefully we will see less of the grind it out style of the last few years.

I also look forward to another full year of complaining about Cooney. :D

By the way, who is this Frank Howard fellow? Is he supposed to play much this year? First time I have heard his name.

I can't wait to call for Cooney's head...and then come back around after he goes 12/13 from 3 to beat Duke.

Frank Howard was a 4 star recruit.

I've been hearing that the frosh, Richardson, looks to be something special. A close friend of mine, who is also a college basketball coach, texted me after the game yesterday and said that he thought that Richardson has the "smoothest shooting stroke" that he has seen since G-Mac. I think he is going to be a force. He also said that Lydon was all over the ball, and seems to have well developed court sense. I think Cuse is going to sneakily make some waves in the ACC this year. A lot of this hinges, however, on the health of DC2, IMO. Chino still looks very "lost" out there.

Ugh; didn't realize they would televise it. Must be a free trial.

Anyone watch it?

I did. Malachi was as advertised. Kid can shoot the rock. Cooney continues to miss shots. Coleman has 2 years of rust to shake off, he'll need tome. Tyler Lydon looked great. Long, athletic big. Boeheim had him at the 5 for stretches and he didn't look out of place...against Lehigh. Roberson was invisible. Joseph looked decent off the bench. Silent G is their steadiest player, not really a surprise. Chino was a beast around the rim really protecting it well. He earned extra minutes. Still lost on offence.

This team is going to live and die by the 3. Luckily, they got off to a big lead thanks to Malachi's long distance buckets.

Mixed feelings about that game. It is always good to see a win, but the half court offense struggled mightily. Richardson looks as good as advertised and Lydon looks like he's going to be a really good young player. Big kid with a good outside shot. While watching, I kept thinking of Ricky Roe in the movie "Blue Chips". :lol:

Mixed feelings about that game. It is always good to see a win, but the half court offense struggled mightily. Richardson looks as good as advertised and Lydon looks like he's going to be a really good young player. Big kid with a good outside shot. While watching, I kept thinking of Ricky Roe in the movie "Blue Chips". :lol:

I am traveling and didn't get a chance to watch it yet. But I couldn't help notice Cooney's terrible first half stats. Amazing to be that such a great shooter struggles so often. Maybe to your point-- he is not getting enough good looks in a stagnant offense.

Lydon is going to be lights out before the season ends. Malachai looks like he will also be a stud out there. Silent G is one smooth M-Fer out there, almost Moten-like. Cooney is gonna miss a lot of shots but he will NEVER stop playing as hard as he is humanly capable of. Coleman looks pretty good out there, needs to get his game legs back which will come with time. Roberson needs to step out of the shadows and hopefully Kaleb will also make his presence known. Chino is still learning. I am really excited for this season.

Bonaventure was a tough ass team to play. I think they just lost some steam and their players got into foul trouble. Nice to see Bonnies hopefully becoming a relevant team again in the national college basketball landscape, those 70's Cuse vs Bona games were awesome

I am traveling and didn't get a chance to watch it yet. But I couldn't help notice Cooney's terrible first half stats. Amazing to be that such a great shooter struggles so often. Maybe to your point-- he is not getting enough good looks in a stagnant offense.

Based on his entire career, I have a hard time calling Cooney a "great shooter". He's had some good games but he is the definition of a streak shooter. Not very consistent but he can drop 6-7 in a game on ya. Just don't ask him to do it in every game, or two games in a row or with any consistency what so ever.

My first time at a computer since being at the game.........Unreal how many Bona fans were there. I believe we are the smallest school in Division 1, but man do we love our school.

I never felt we had it, but damn it was looking good.

Dion Wright is so solid for us, but nothing would go in for him.......And, Posley was way off again...........Those are our two seniors, who were the leading scorers last year.

I really wish they would play every year, even though Boeheim always says the RC is the hardest place he's ever had to play. If we played our "home game" in Rochester, it would be perfect!

I finally was able to see the game. Agree with all your comments.

One other thing-- cooney needs to just be a set shooter. He is a very good shooter when he can just catch and shoot. Anything off the dribble is garbage-- he is way off balance.

Lydons is good, but it will take him a while to learn the defense. Noticed he had several major defensive lapses.

I love our annual little SU thread. I think that this year is going to be rough on the Cuse. I love the frosh, and think that they will be great by the end of the year. BUT, we have to get some sort of an inside presence, particularly scoring. Without some kind of threat on the inside we will struggle when we hit the ACC. The Atlantis tourney should be interesting to really get a feel for the team.

Go Cuse

Wasn't able to watch the Elon game-- but that looked a little too close for comfort. Anyone watch it?

Yeah Elon was nailing 3s left and right and silent G sat the final 13 minutes of the first half due to foul trouble.

The freshman class is carrying this team although I will point out this was probably Roberson's best game at CUSE. Cooney might have played his worst game yet. It's tough to watch.

My first time at a computer since being at the game.........Unreal how many Bona fans were there. I believe we are the smallest school in Division 1, but man do we love our school.

Dion Wright is so solid for us, but nothing would go in for him.......And, Posley was way off again...........Those are our two seniors, who were the leading scorers last year.

I really wish they would play every year, even though Boeheim always says the RC is the hardest place he's ever had to play. If we played our "home game" in Rochester, it would be perfect!

These two, who went a combined 8-32 and 22 points against SU, went 16-26 and 48 points tonight. Damn, one game too late. If these had been on, we would have walked away with the W, for sure!

get back one scholarship/year, still vacating the wins which is utter bull ****, still waiting on the 9 game suspension appeal, heard they will also get about $1.2Mil in fines reduced or back. NCAA is still an absolute joke and I love how Kansas completely called them out this past weekend.

http://dailyorange.com/2015/11/syracuse-university-statement-on-ncaa-infractions-appeal-decision/

I loved Bilas during the Charlotte/SU game today, just ripping into the NCAA for basically making stuff up. Such a joke.

I expect that JB will win his appeal and get a random reduction from 9 games to 7, or some nonsense like that.

By the way, nice win today. I would like to see the offense run more through Lydon; you can pick and roll with him all day, and really open stuff up for the shooters.

Lydon is an absolute stud. Malachi had an off game, I thought, but still hit some very big shots. DC2 looked the best I have seen him yet this year. No showing much offense, but playing pretty good defense and solid on the boards. This team is going to make some noise this year.

I can't imagine (if he stays) Lydon next to Chukwu next season. Also, with incoming freshmen Tyus Battle and Matt Moyer...and very likely 4 star PF Taurean Thompson...very bright future for Syracuse.

Lydon is an absolute stud. Malachi had an off game, I thought, but still hit some very big shots. DC2 looked the best I have seen him yet this year. No showing much offense, but playing pretty good defense and solid on the boards. This team is going to make some noise this year.

I can't imagine (if he stays) Lydon next to Chukwu next season. Also, with incoming freshmen Tyus Battle and Matt Moyer...and very likely 4 star PF Taurean Thompson...very bright future for Syracuse.

Lydon is exactly the kind of player who should stay 4 years. In many respects, he could have the same trajectory as a frank kaminski. He is also 6'8" and 210 pounds. He puts on like 30 pounds of muscle and develops a post game and dribble drive a bit and he will be a player of the year type guy as a senior.

But I'm biased!!