Cleveland and SF tanking

No necessarily true because all draft classes are not alike. Sometimes the top of the draft is stacked, while in other years it's quite lean.

No necessarily true because all draft classes are not alike. Sometimes the top of the draft is stacked, while in other years it's quite lean.

Yes, now and again a weak draft class comes along and sometimes highly rated prospects bust too!

But those occurrences are de minimis and shouldn't dictate strategy.

with theses two teams tanking it shows that there are elite QBs in this draft. Connor Cook, Paxton Lynch and Jerod Goff are the top choices and I wish we would join them but with all that we spent last offseason, tanking wont be on the FO minds.

Once Pegs sees that this regime is floundering we can tank in to yrs for Josh Rosen.

I'd rather have Joe Licata. He's from UB where they produce REAL NFL players. Plus he can help sell tickets.

The last time we drafted at a high enough position to jive with a "tank" type approach was when we picked #3 overall and took Marcell Dareus.

And had we totally tanked for Cam that year having got off to a terrible start I'd have been ok with it. The irony of that year and the 2011 draft is that it was the year you didn't need to tank to get a premium player. Only 4 of the top 16 have not been to the prowbowl in their first 4 years. 3 of those 4 were Quarterback reaches - Locker, Ponder, Gabbert and the other Nick Fairley has still been a pretty good player though not a premium one. Has to be on of the all time best first round classes that (oh and Julius Thomas, Richard Sherman, Randall Cobb, Justin Houston, DeMarco Murray, Jason Kelce, Jordan Cameron, Kyle Rudolph and Andy Dalton have all made the pro bowl from outside the first round).

They're not tanking. They're just terrible.

This. The Colts situation a few years ago is the only example of a true "tank" I can recall in the NFL, and it took an very strange confluence of events to make it happen.

they just suk

so two dummies who are not aware of college football, I see, well you fit right in

so you prefer going 8-8 and never getting a real QB? TT is not the answer

Stats say different.....but we actually dont know yet.

But.....just like you are every year......next years hot draft QB is the right QB...till they arent

But I disagree that we should be tanking for a QB. I believe TT is our QB for the foreseeable future.

I agree, TT is still young enough to improve with experience. The Bills need a better backup QB than EJ but one can be drafted in the later rounds, signed off of another teams' practice squad or wooed away from the CFL.

last big10 qb to be drafted in first round 1995 Kerry Collins but Penn State wasnt in the big 10 at the time, have to go back 25 freaking years to Illinois transfer Jeff George. Big 10 not exactly a hot bed of NFL quarterbacks these days. A long way from Harbaugh, Chuck Long, Jim Everett, Jack Trudeau

Edited by CardinalScotts

I'm still really confused that anybody things tanking is a good strategy for improving your football team.

I think they have bought in to the NFL hype that they use to market in the offseason.

Maybe, just maybe, there is a situation every decade or so where losing a week 17 game improves your team, but year after year after year the draft has way too much uncertainty, and the top 10 is filled with QB busts and there are plenty of good QBs taken outside the top 10.

Trying to win every football game you play, and trying to draft intelligently just seems to make so much more sense at every level.

The reality is that it is much more important to get luck in the draft than to get Luck in the draft.

last big10 qb to be drafted in first round 1995 Kerry Collins but Penn State wasnt in the big 10 at the time, have to go back 25 freaking years to Illinois transfer Jeff George. Big 10 not exactly a hot bed of NFL quarterbacks these days. A long way from Harbaugh, Chuck Long, Jim Everett, Jack Trudeau

it does not matter what conference or program the player is from. Coaches and systems change, as do their level of recruits. Edited by YoloinOhio