31 Non-Bills Starting QBs and who the Bills got instead.

Like the Bills the starting QBs for all of the other 31 NFL teams were acquired in the draft, by trade or via free agency.

11 Starting QBs were drafted before the Bills had a chance:

1 Philip Rivers, QB SD 2004 2 Eli Manning, QB NYG 2004 3 Ben Roethlisberger, QB PIT 2004 4 Matt Ryan, QB ATL 2008 5 Matthew Stafford, QB DET 2009 6 Cam Newton, QB CAR 2011 7 Ryan Tannehill, QB MIA 2012 8 Andrew Luck, QB IND 2012 9 Blake Bortles, QB JAX 2014 10 Jameis Winston, QB TB 2015 11 Marcus Mariota, QB TEN 2015

9 were either traded for or signed in free agency. To the best of my knowledge the Bills did not pursue any of these opportunties

1 Tony Romo, QB DAL 2005 DNP 2 Jay Cutler, QB CHI 2009 DNP 3 Peyton Manning, QB DEN 2012 DNP 4 Carson Palmer, QB ARI 2013 DNP 5 Alex Smith, QB KC 2013 DNP 6 Sam Bradford, QB PHI 2015 DNP 7 Josh McCown, QB CLE 2015 DNP 8 Brian Hoyer, QB HOU 2015 DNP 9 Nick Foles, QB STL 2015 DNP

11 Were passed on by the Bills in the draft. (Note I am including Aaron Rodgers here because the Bills traded away the opportunity to draft him so they could pick JP Losman in the prior draft). This table shows who we drafted instead:

1 Andy Dalton, QB CIN 2011 Aaron Williams 2 Colin Kaepernick, QB SF 2011 Aaron Williams 3 Aaron Rodgers, QB GB 2005 JP Losman 4 Geno Smith NYJ 2013 Kiko Alonso 5 Tom Brady, QB NE 2000 Leif Larsen 6 Joe Flacco, QB BAL 2008 Leodis McKelvin 7 Drew Brees, QB NO 2001 Nate Clements 8 Derek Carr, QB OAK 2014 Sammy Watkins 9 Teddy Bridgewater, QB MIN 2014 Sammy Watkins 10 Kirk Cousins, QB WSH 2012 T.J. Graham 11 Russell Wilson, QB SEA 2012 T.J. Graham

Nothing new here, just a summary I haven't seen before.

Interesting, although at the given point in time, the vast majority of these quarterbacks were unproven and hadn't yet developed their career.

Frankly I wouldn't trust any of the Bills' coaching staffs of the last fifteen years to have developed any of these quarterbacks. Greg Roman with Kaepernick might be the only exception to that, although he's crashing and burning as we speak.

Edited by sullim4

9 were either traded for or signed in free agency. To the best of my knowledge the Bills did not pursue any of these opportunties

1 Tony Romo, QB DAL 2005 DNP

Romo was an Undrafted Free Agent signing. Which means the Bills had the opportunity to draft in 2003 but opted for LB Mario Haggan instead at pick #228.

Tyrod seems like a solid starter for us, especially for what we are trying to do. If I were calling the shots, I think they should go the route andy ried and the eagles did. They had their starter and would grab a good qb prospect in the 2nd round or later now and then to sit behind the starter and develop They ended up trading those QBs, but I think that is the best way to approach the QB issue.

I for don't want them to avoid drafting a QB because then there is little hope. But I don't want them to turn into the browns where every other year they are throwing a first round at a QB and hoping he sticks.

But I think tyrod is a solid starter for our system. I worry about staying healthy, but he is young enough and he seems to pretty tough

Like the Bills the starting QBs for all of the other 31 NFL teams were acquired in the draft, by trade or via free agency.

11 Starting QBs were drafted before the Bills had a chance:

1 Philip Rivers, QB SD 2004 2 Eli Manning, QB NYG 2004 3 Ben Roethlisberger, QB PIT 2004 4 Matt Ryan, QB ATL 2008 5 Matthew Stafford, QB DET 2009 6 Cam Newton, QB CAR 2011 7 Ryan Tannehill, QB MIA 2012 8 Andrew Luck, QB IND 2012 9 Blake Bortles, QB JAX 2014 10 Jameis Winston, QB TB 2015 11 Marcus Mariota, QB TEN 2015

1 Tony Romo, QB DAL 2005 DNP 2 Jay Cutler, QB CHI 2009 DNP 3 Peyton Manning, QB DEN 2012 DNP 4 Carson Palmer, QB ARI 2013 DNP 5 Alex Smith, QB KC 2013 DNP 6 Sam Bradford, QB PHI 2015 DNP 7 Josh McCown, QB CLE 2015 DNP 8 Brian Hoyer, QB HOU 2015 DNP 9 Nick Foles, QB STL 2015 DNP

11 Were passed on by the Bills in the draft. (Note I am including Aaron Rodgers here because the Bills traded away the opportunity to draft him so they could pick JP Losman in the prior draft). This table shows who we drafted instead:

1 Andy Dalton, QB CIN 2011 Aaron Williams 2 Colin Kaepernick, QB SF 2011 Aaron Williams 3 Aaron Rodgers, QB GB 2005 JP Losman 4 Geno Smith NYJ 2013 Kiko Alonso 5 Tom Brady, QB NE 2000 Leif Larsen 6 Joe Flacco, QB BAL 2008 Leodis McKelvin 7 Drew Brees, QB NO 2001 Nate Clements 8 Derek Carr, QB OAK 2014 Sammy Watkins 9 Teddy Bridgewater, QB MIN 2014 Sammy Watkins 10 Kirk Cousins, QB WSH 2012 T.J. Graham 11 Russell Wilson, QB SEA 2012 T.J. Graham

Nothing new here, just a summary I haven't seen before.

The Bills tried to trade for Alex Smith. They actually were the only team that offered SF 2 draft picks. KC was forced to match and their picks were higher in the round so they got him. The Bills also tried to sign McCown and he chose Cleveland. They also had a deal in place in '04 draft to move up w/ Houston to take Roethlisberger. That deal fell through when ATL took DeAngelo Hall and HOU got concerned about a run on CBs that would stop them from getting their guy with Bills pick. Those are the only ones Im sure of, all old news.

Russell Wilson. So many fans were right on top of that pick. Still hurts.

A perfect example of the "blind squirrel" school of football scouting. The same fans wanted Geno Smith, Ryan Mallet, Blaine Gabbert, Tim Tebow, etc, etc, etc. Don't break yer arms patting yourselves on the back.

Interesting, although at the given point in time, the vast majority of these quarterbacks were unproven and hadn't yet developed their career.

Frankly I wouldn't trust any of the Bills' coaching staffs of the last fifteen years to have developed any of these quarterbacks. Greg Roman with Kaepernick might be the only exception to that, although he's crashing and burning as we speak.

Man, do I agree with that bolded line.

The Bills had a young man that had a background in the WCO. The Buffalo Bills had the bright idea to throw this kid into a Mike Martz deep passing style of offense behind a crap offensive line, and in a few years he was gone after a few severe concussions. Square peg, round hole type of deal.

Colin Kaepernick looks to have the same problem RG3 has, and that is both have completely lost confidence in themselves, as they are over thinking every decision.

A perfect example of the "blind squirrel" school of football scouting. The same fans wanted Geno Smith, Ryan Mallet, Blaine Gabbert, Tim Tebow, etc, etc, etc. Don't break yer arms patting yourselves on the back.

And every Ohio State QB for the last ten years. But I'm sure the next one will revolutionize the position in the NFL!

This was a little more situational than your ridiculous generality....3rd round, knowing our needs, he's right there.....go pull the shout box from that day.

This was a little more situational than your ridiculous generality....3rd round, knowing our needs, he's right there.....go pull the shout box from that day.

Again, it could have been any QB you heard of. Predicting every QB the next big thing doesn't make you Bill Polian if you are right once.

Man, do I agree with that bolded line.

The Bills had a young man that had a background in the WCO. The Buffalo Bills had the bright idea to throw this kid into a Mike Martz deep passing style of offense behind a crap offensive line, and in a few years he was gone after a few severe concussions. Square peg, round hole type of deal.

Colin Kaepernick looks to have the same problem RG3 has, and that is both have completely lost confidence in themselves, as they are over thinking every decision.

I also agree. We have had as much of a QB problem as a coaching problem.

Again, it could have been any QB you heard of. Predicting every QB the next big thing doesn't make you Bill Polian if you are right once.

No but for the sake of this conversation, it applies. Great value missed in round 3...many called the pick beforehand and also knew it immediately that a mistake had been made.

This thread was started, that pick was mentioned, and I lamented over it. How exactly am I claiming to be Bill Polian?

Edited by filthymcnasty08

I hear what you are saying but people on this board(including myself) were very high on Russell Wilson. Go back & look at the posts. I also don't recall very many people that liked Blaine Gabbert. I remember my own personal opinion was that this guy is in a stat padding offense that made Chase Daniels look great & Gabbert the next year couldn't put up half the stats as Daniels did the previous year. That was a major red flag to me. I kliked Mallet because of the arm strength but I knew the kid was a major dipsh*t.

I don't buy that at all, sorry. There are only a few players picked that were so off from the consensus here - you're revising history to deny Wilson was one of them where OBD just screwed up in front of us.

Ngata over Whitner was another. Bills shocked the world on that one, including the fans.

Seriously - people were screaming for Wilson.

You're right about the blind squirrel thing, but if you think about it, the Bills FO over the past 20 years is being vastly outperformed by a large number of blind squirrels.