The Miami Miracle

/dev/null

I totally missed the guy's knee being down when I saw this last night -- that's clear as day. Chalk up another victory for the "just getting it right" crowd.

The lesson -- as always: instant replay sucks.

p.s. since blocks in the back don't count if they are behind the play, does this mean the NCAA is going to rightfully award the 1991 Orange Bowl to Notre Dame?

I totally missed the guy's knee being down when I saw this last night -- that's clear as day. Chalk up another victory for the "just getting it right" crowd.

p.s. since blocks in the back don't count if they are behind the play, does this mean the NCAA is going to rightfully award the 1991 Orange Bowl to Notre Dame?

I only saw the one block in the back. But then, it only takes one. It's mystifying how that wasn't called.

Regarding the player being down: I've seen it explained that he was already "in the process" of lateraling, hence couldn't be down since he didn't have control of the ball. Basically, he'd given up possession at that time, and live ball = live play regardless of his knee being down. Don't know if that's right or wrong...but at least it makes sense.

I was at the game and the officials were awful from the beginning. Still can't believe the total confusion on the last play. Never seen referees (supposedly) pick up a flag on a block in the back. Credit to Miami for a tremendous special teams play, but Duke really got jobbed.

I've watched that play several times and I still don't think it's an easy call on whether or not the Miami player was "in the process" of releasing the ball when his knee touched. Certainly if there were no replay nobody would be critical of that aspect of the officiating -- in live action it looked fine.

The issue of the alleged missed block in the back call early in the play doesn't really bother me -- that crap happens all the time.

I think if the referee had issued a clear statement on the rationale for allowing the play to stand, there wouldn't be such an uproar.

Bottom line -- Duke made a huge mistake in not simply kicking the ball out of bounds. Putting your faith in a bunch of 18 year olds in that situation is just dumb.

I've watched that play several times and I still don't think it's an easy call on whether or not the Miami player was "in the process" of releasing the ball when his knee touched. Certainly if there were no replay nobody would be critical of that aspect of the officiating -- in live action it looked fine.

The issue of the alleged missed block in the back call early in the play doesn't really bother me -- that crap happens all the time.

I think if the referee had issued a clear statement on the rationale for allowing the play to stand, there wouldn't be such an uproar.

Bottom line -- Duke made a huge mistake in not simply kicking the ball out of bounds. Putting your faith in a bunch of 18 year olds in that situation is just dumb.

Also lost in this is the simple fact that Duke had fifty seconds to make a play, and didn't.

If you can't make a single unambiguous tackle in fifty seconds of kickoff coverage, you deserve to lose.

Also lost in this is the simple fact that Duke had fifty seconds to make a play, and didn't.

If you can't make a single unambiguous tackle in fifty seconds of kickoff coverage, you deserve to lose.

Unfortunately this board is full of fans who don't understand the concept of making plays to avoid games being decided by officials.

If you don't win games decisively you deserve what the scoreboard says you deserve,

I hate it more every week! If somehow they actually did get them right, I could live with it. They don't - and it seems every time I flip a channel to a football game, there is a conference going on (unless they're in a commercial because a conference is going on)

I hate it more every week! If somehow they actually did get them right, I could live with it. They don't - and it seems every time I flip a channel to a football game, there is a conference going on (unless they're in a commercial because a conference is going on)

Instant reply has been the nail in the NFL coffin for me. And now that it's found it's way to MLB? Bye-Bye to that too.