Unconventional, New Strategy Needed to Stop the Patriots?

jethro_tull

Ok - getting real unconventional - this will only work for one series because Belicheat will adapt quickly... very simple - drop all 11 into coverage. 5 guys in man, 5 in zone, the 11th shadowing Brady 5 yards off. The offensive line can't do anything as they can't go down field. Brady doesn't run - even if given the opportunity. It puts 5 on 11. Run this play - Brady will make a mistake and force the throw...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the benefit of rushing 6, or 9 or whatever... if the ball is out in 1.5 seconds, it's not gonna matter how many we rush.

The idea is to have a player get a clear, unblocked path sprinting right to Brady.

A player sprinting right towards him should be able to make contact before he throws the ball- and at least get him to deviate from the original play.

The idea is to have a player get a clear, unblocked path sprinting right to Brady.

A player sprinting right towards him should be able to make contact before he throws the ball- and at least get him to deviate from the original play.

Hit him late a couple of times too. When Tommy gets pressure and hit, he turns into a scared, whiney kitten. We could afford a couple of PFs for the greater good.

I LOL'd so hard at this a little urine came out.

Clearly you didn't think this through all the way.

It does not seem so crazy if the patriots are near the red zone and will probably score regardless of your best usual defensive efforts.

Rushing 9 is a basic number- the "ideal" number is rushing as few players as possible that allows one guy to sprint unblocked right to Brady. You know he's going to throw, basic coverage is not working for any team, you need to make contact with the QB before he throws- period. A sprinting unblocked defender can make this happen.

The Patriots are daring some team to stop them.

I see a lot of talk about pressing or mugging the receivers as they come off the line.

Who on the Bills defense is fast enough and big enough to effectively mug Gronkowski?

You need to attack Brady at his weakest point, His Ego. This is "HIS" revenge tour and it's all about how "HE" is the best. play the pass on every down, and dare them to run on every play. Now they can and should, but Mr. Brady's ego will get the best of Him and He will try to be the man. That is how you beat Him. Let our front four rush the passer, have Gilmore, McKelvin, Roby and Darby plan bump and run, and everyone else in zone. No matter the down or distance play straight pass, the Patriots will change their personal to a heavy run set. Mr. Brady's big Ego though will not be happy unless he passes.

Unless that player has a running start, Brady will get the pass off in time if there's an opening...

The only team that ever stopped them was the Giants twice in the SB.

It was so odd both times, because suddenly that offense that could not be stopped scored in the teens. But it was just about the only time in several years anyone kept them down.

They were successful because they put heat on with 4 guys. That is the way to stop Brady. Problem is it is easier said than done. Denver may have a chance to beat the Pats this year because I think they will be able to knock Brady around a bit. I am not sure anybody else from the AFC has the personal to accomplish this.

Ok - getting real unconventional - this will only work for one series because Belicheat will adapt quickly... very simple - drop all 11 into coverage. 5 guys in man, 5 in zone, the 11th shadowing Brady 5 yards off. The offensive line can't do anything as they can't go down field. Brady doesn't run - even if given the opportunity. It puts 5 on 11. Run this play - Brady will make a mistake and force the throw...

I ... actually like this plan? Do this, then mix it up with some other unconventional ideas presented here, and maybe we have a shot.

The way I see it, you can assume the Pats** are going to win, so it's actually a great time to experiment with different schemes. I'd try something different every drive and find something that works.

Worst case scenario is you lose horribly (like everyone has so far) but you still get a glimpse at what might work against them in the future.

You can't get comedy like rush 9 cover 2 anywhere else?

You know what it can't be any worse than sitting back & rushing 3 guys like brilliant Rex did last time. I mean he set a franchise record for most passing yards against us.

You know what it can't be any worse than sitting back & rushing 3 guys like brilliant Rex did last time. I mean he set a franchise record for most passing yards against us.

Well someone did post a thread after the first NE game suggesting that Rex's defense was in fact an elaborate ruse designed to lure Bill B. into a false sense of security for the second matchup of the year.

The idea was to save the good game plan for a much more important game later in the season with playoff implications.

Maybe that was it!

Speaking of other highly plausible matters, how do we know that "Rex" is not in fact some type of alien shapeshifter who has merely taken on the appearance of Rex, but is not the real Rex and the real Rex is in fact tied up in a warehouse somewhere?

It would explain a lot!

The idea was to save the good game plan for a much more important game later in the season with playoff implications.

There is absolutely ZERO difference in the playoff implications between these 2 games. They both count exactly the same. Saying the second one is more important is just not true. If Rex thinks this, heaven help us.

In baseball they would say, "They count as much in April as they do in September". And it's true.

Edited by reddogblitz

So many great defensive coordinators in here. Why aren't ya'll coaching in the NFL?

There is no way to defend this offense with this QB. They take mediocre players like Dion Lewis, Deion Branch, Julian Edelman, Shane Vereen, and make them into superstars. This is almost a flawless offense that basically SHREDDED the Seattle defense in the Super Bowl.

There is absolutely ZERO difference in the playoff implications between these 2 games. They both count exactly the same. Saying the second one is more important is just not true. If Rex thinks this, heaven help us.

In baseball they would say, "They count as much in April as they do in September". And it's true.

I'm just the messenger! It wasn't my theory!

Of course they all count the same. 1/16 full value, in fact.

I still think the key isn't "cover everything", but instead to figure out what Brady does in a particular situation, and lure him into it. If he is basing his decision on what he sees pre-snap (which he must be doing, to get the ball out so quickly), there has to be a way to anticipate where he will go.

It would involve lots of risk, and some big plays will happen, but it could rattle Brady and get him questioning himself.

I don't like the "onside kick every time" type of stuff, it basically tells the players that they are outclassed and need gimmicks to beat another team. It also undermines the players confidence in the coaches ("the coaches don't know what to do, so they are just going to roll the dice"). I think that is bad for a team's mindset.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Brady gets the ball out so quickly, why bother rushing more than 2? Go 2 down linemen, 2 linebackers, and 6 in the secondary. Double Gronk every play and bracket him with a safety. Make them beat you running the ball or throwing to secondary targets. If they beat you with 4 yard plays, then so be it. Bend don't break.

Augie- i like the way you think.

I'll one up you, how about an 73,000 man rush from the stands. That will get em.

Well, that just might get a flag thrown. But this year, maybe not.... they might not notice. :)