ESPN Shuts Down Grantland

26CornerBlitz

Further evidence of the degradation of the Evil Empire that is ESPN. .

@Jim_Madalinsky

Wow. Not good. ESPN shuts down Grantland. http://espnmediazone.com/us/espn-statement-regarding-grantland/

@SInow

ESPN announces it has suspended publication of Grantland http://on.si.com/1jXiIXD

@MJ_Baumann

Well that's the first time I've ever found out I was laid off via Twitter

Really?

I swear on my family that I've never heard of it. I stopped listening, clicking and watching ESPN years ago. I only watch when there's an NFL football game or a Mets game that I can't watch anywhere else. Otherwise, no views, no clicks, no listens.

Grantland was way above the general demographic that ESPN thinks is it's bread and butter.

The level of technical analysis and writing style appealed to the college educated sports enthusiast that had interest in topics other than sports. Grantland isn't for the sports fans who enjoy former NFL players shouting at each other for an hour before kickoff. That's not a slight, just fact.

The only times I find myself on ESPN was for Grantland articles. You could catch an interesting analysis of jersey sales or why a team does X and then catch an opinion piece on politics or movies.

I'm not a big fan of Bill Simmons overall but he assembled some bright writing talent there.

ESPN is a disaster. They paid too much for the broadcasting rights and selling their souls to the television companies has provided them less customers to watch very, very expensive sports to produce and broadcast.

Grantland was way above the general demographic that ESPN thinks is it's bread and butter.

The level of technical analysis and writing style appealed to the college educated sports enthusiast that had interest in topics other than sports. Grantland isn't for the sports fans who enjoy former NFL players shouting at each other for an hour before kickoff. That's not a slight, just fact.

The only times I find myself on ESPN was for Grantland articles. You could catch an interesting analysis of jersey sales or why a team does X and then catch an opinion piece on politics or movies.

I'm not a big fan of Bill Simmons overall but he assembled some bright writing talent there.

ESPN is a disaster. They paid too much for the broadcasting rights and selling their souls to the television companies has provided them less customers to watch very, very expensive sports to produce and broadcast.

Its the cord cutters that are killing them. Paid subs is down like 16% in the last two years, and will continue to drop as more and more people drop cable/satellite.

Don't get me wrong, i love/d Grantland. But i am so tired of hearing how horrifying it is people getting laid off from ESPN and now the Grantland shuttering. The world, she is a changing!!!

Just a fact of life revenues at ESPN are declining, and it only going to get worse. What are the y supposed to do? Continue to not hit margins?

In terms of Grantland, the ESPN hate is something today.That site was Simmons. So Simmons, if you were so damn worried about everyone there, you would not have dared ESPN to suspend you. You would have played nicer on the NBA show..but you had to be cooler than everyone else. And this coming from a loyal Sports Guy reader since 2002 .

I also hate when people get laid off, but if the site is so damn great, and the writers so damn awesome , and they will pull clicks and thus revenue, have Simmons and HBO recreate it. Hes the one that lead to the downfall, he should be the one to come to the rescue.

How would people feel if Terry somehow convinced Bill Barnwell to be a scout/analytics/assistant to the assistant GM guy?

That's actually a great idea!

I didn't follow the details of that, but I'd guess this is as much an FU to Simmons as a financial decision.

And I have to think there's something to that. I mean, paring down Grantland -- getting rid of a lot of the pop culture stuff that I don't pay a whole lot of attention to -- would have been perfectly understandable, but that didn't mean having to take the site down. They could have existed with a skeleton permanent staff and pay-by-the-article features. The cost of running a Grantland like that would be a rounding error in espn's annual books. But they have to kill Simmons' legacy too. It's hard to tell who's more childish here: Simmons, the overgrown frat boy, or espn management, his jealous ex-lover.

That's actually a great idea!

And I have to think there's something to that. I mean, paring down Grantland -- getting rid of a lot of the pop culture stuff that I don't pay a whole lot of attention to -- would have been perfectly understandable, but that didn't mean having to take the site down. They could have existed with a skeleton permanent staff and pay-by-the-article features. The cost of running a Grantland like that would be a rounding error in espn's annual books. But they have to kill Simmons' legacy too. It's hard to tell who's more childish here: Simmons, the overgrown frat boy, or espn management, his jealous ex-lover.

Aah, the sex angle. No good drama should be without it.