Rams Relocate to LA; Chargers Have 1st Option to Also Move

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The city of San Diego filed a stadium package to keep the chargers. Dean Spanos was on the news tonite, when asked about what if the Chargers were the odd man out, he mentioned the other LA stadium proposals. Not one word about staying in San Diego with a new stadium. The NFL should force them to stay in SD. There is a stadium deal on the table to rebuild a new stadium where Qual Comm stadium is now.

And remediate that gasoline plume that has migrated onto the stadium property from Kinder Morgan

Why not start with one team and see how that works? There is a reason that LA has not had a franchise in decades. Which of these three is the question. Rams reason for leaving is least compelling, clause in their lease about having state of the art stadium. Although they never should have left LA. Why the Raiders didn't make a deal to share new stadium with 49ers, ala Giants and Jets, is head scratching. Can't see them getting new stadium in Oakland. Their owner doesn't have enough money and is a nut. Chargers? If there is a plan on the table to build a new stadium in San Diego,they should stay.

I don't see how the Raiders/Davis can afford relocation fee $550M +split cost of new stadium in LA.

If I remember, Raiders could not sign high priced FAs because they did not have the guaranteed money to put in escrow account ?

@DailyNewsVinny

For those interested, here is the #Rams relocation application turned into the #NFL http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2016-01/23763808665200-05180540.pdf

This is crazy. If you read pp. 20-24 (or just skim them), it basically TRASHES St. Louis, essentially making the case that it's in a massive decline and is "not a three professional sport city."

Those claims may or may not be true, but if the Rams wind up staying in St. Louis, I'm not sure how the the relationship between the team, the city, and the fans could recover - absent Kroenke selling the team. That all sounds really ugly.

Watching this from afar just makes me appreciate the Pegulas more and more.

Edited by Bills Fan in MD

This is crazy. If you read pp. 20-24 (or just skim them), it basically TRASHES St. Louis, essentially making the case that it's in a massive decline and is "not a three professional sport city."

Those claims may or may not be true, but if the Rams wind up staying in St. Louis, I'm not sure how the the relationship between the team, the city, and the fans could recover - absent Kroenke selling the team. That all sounds really ugly.

Watching this from afar just makes me appreciate the Pegulas more and more.

@williamfleitch

Not even Art Modell or Bob Irsay were as openly cruel to CLE and BAL as Stan Kroenke's being to St. Louis right now. http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/161161120/stan-kroenke-hates-st-louis-rams-proposal

@williamfleitch

Not even Art Modell or Bob Irsay were as openly cruel to CLE and BAL as Stan Kroenke's being to St. Louis right now. http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/161161120/stan-kroenke-hates-st-louis-rams-proposal

I didn't realize until just now that Kroenke is from Missouri and was named after two St. Louis Cardinals legends (Stan Musial and Enos Slaughter). His full name is Enos Stanley. I guess you really can't go home again.

I just find it amazing that with all this talk of London, Toronto, etc. when THREE teams want to move they all want to go to the same freaking place!

LA lost two team already. Why not try ONE team and let it draw from that market? Better chance of success that way IMO.

The other two can stay where they are or move to a different place that doesn't currently have a handful of NFL teams in the same state. Seriously, how many teams does California need?

3, actually. Chargers started there with Kemp as QB. Rams & Raiders were carpet-baggers going there -Rams from Cleveland, Raiders from Oakland.

Why not start with one team and see how that works? There is a reason that LA has not had a franchise in decades. Which of these three is the question. Rams reason for leaving is least compelling, clause in their lease about having state of the art stadium. Although they never should have left LA. Why the Raiders didn't make a deal to share new stadium with 49ers, ala Giants and Jets, is head scratching. Can't see them getting new stadium in Oakland. Their owner doesn't have enough money and is a nut. Chargers? If there is a plan on the table to build a new stadium in San Diego,they should stay.

I'd say the Raiders have the least compelling case; they spent 10+ years in LA and moved back to Oakland -- had their chance. And as you point out, they don't have the $.

The Rams belong in LA and Kroenke has the cash for a new stadium.

I'm still hoping the Chargers can work it out in SD, but either way I think it makes a lot more sense to have two teams from opposite conferences.

Edited by KD in CT

This whole thing is insanity.

LA has been without a team for a generation now.

WHY NOT try 1 team there? Wouldn't that team benefit from having all of the attention of the LA market?

But no! Let's move TWO teams there at the same time! IF the NFL wants to move teams so badly why not take a look at some other potential cities instead of taking the PR hit that will come to move only to LA?

Im praying for the Rams to win it as someone who lives in LA. I liked the Rams as a kid, so I could get behind them as a second team again.

But, my praying is more about begging to not bring the Raiders here. Man I hate Raider fans, I could never get behind them and want to go to the games. I wont even go to a game in Oakland when the Bills are in town, like this upcoming year, because its like entering a prison. Raiders fans are all about the violence and chaos associated with the team mystique, and bringing that back to LA will make going to games a risky and miserable experience. I know Raider fans who have almost been in brawls because they were at games and didn't have Raider gear on. The fans suuuuucccck.

San Diego belongs in SD. They should have a professional sports team, and the Chargers belong there. Be a shame to see them leave.

Im praying for the Rams to win it as someone who lives in LA. I liked the Rams as a kid, so I could get behind them as a second team again.

But, my praying is more about begging to not bring the Raiders here. Man I hate Raider fans, I could never get behind them and want to go to the games. I wont even go to a game in Oakland when the Bills are in town, like this upcoming year, because its like entering a prison. Raiders fans are all about the violence and chaos associated with the team mystique, and bringing that back to LA will make going to games a risky and miserable experience. I know Raider fans who have almost been in brawls because they were at games and didn't have Raider gear on. The fans suuuuucccck.

San Diego belongs in SD. They should have a professional sports team, and the Chargers belong there. Be a shame to see them leave.

Have to disagree--I've been to 3 Bills-Raiders games in Oakland, wore my Bills gear and never had a problem at all. Now, us getting out arses kicked each time may have helped....

I don't see how the Raiders/Davis can afford relocation fee $550M +split cost of new stadium in LA.

If I remember, Raiders could not sign high priced FAs because they did not have the guaranteed money to put in escrow account ?

It isn't paid to the league in a lump sum so the new revenue streams realized in the LA market will more than offset the fee payment schedule which might be anywhere between 10-20 years.

That said, whichever team doesn't get approved to relocate, if any, will be compensated by the league as well. Davis stands to reap a profit, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!