Did Doug Waley support/want the Rex Ryan hire?

Jobot

Does anyone know/remember what Waley's stance was on the Rex Ryan hire? I'm sure he had some influence when the Pegula's hired Rex, but I'm wondering how much of an endorsement he gave, if any for Rex.

These types of games (loss to the Bengals) that we just saw worry me that we may need multiple drafts to get the right personel in to fit Rex's scheme... unless we are just watching a defense that is still learning a new style (which I don't buy at this point)

Anyways, if scheme and player fit is currently the problem with the Bills D, I would assume Waley should have know that this would be a problem going into the season...which further makes me wonder if Waley supported the Rex hire from the start, or if Pegula just went with his gut with Rex. Remember, the message and stance from Rex and Waley regarding player cuts has been tip-toed around with much tension.

Most Buffalo Bills fans here in Syracuse, New York were against the hiring of Rex Ryan as the Bills new head coach.

Disclosure: Buffalo Bills fans here in Syracuse, New York are the most knowledgeable, smartest, most sensible, level headed, non-rose colored glasses wearing, Buffalo Bills fans there are.

IMO Whaley was in no position to hire any coach, he was fortunate to keep his job. The football czar that Pegs wanted to hire (Polian)? Now that's a different story. I think it was Pegs's call, reinforced by yes men.

I dont think it was his idea.. I'm sure Rex thought this D he was walking into for this season would make him look like a god and was foaming at the mouth but I thought Jim was the right hire and was mad he left...as other have said having consistency is something to build on... this D has been good for a several years and now they just dont work right doesnt make sense... AW is a big loss but sacks, pressure and turnovers were the name of the game last year...

There is a lot we do not know, and this is one of them. We also do not know whether it was Whaley or Ryan who wanted to sign Harvin, Taylor, Incognito and Clay, although I suspect that Ryan pushed for all of these signings. Also wondering if there really is tension between Whaley and Riley, including with regard to the trading of Cassel.

I believe Rex "Defensive Genius" reputation may have been earned because of the players he had. Ray Lewis as coordinator in Baltimore and Darrelle Revis in NY. Those are two first ballot hall of fame players. Those two players raise the level of play on their defenses.

The Bills D has talent but they lack leadership anything close to that. Don't get me wrong I love Kyle Williams but Ray Lewis was another level.

Rex is a con man and his personality and charisma has allowed him to fool a ton of people in his time spent in this game ..... including the Bills green owner.

I think this really gets to the heart of what was bothering me about the hire from the moment it happened.

People were saying "we got Rex Ryan. Can you believe it" in the same way they were saying "We got Mario Williams, can you believe it?"

Happy to throw $100MM at MW, but sickened by throwing $25MM retirement paycheck to RR.

My impression is that the owner made the decision and Whaley went along.

Rex snowed Pegula, just like the New York writers said.

I hate it when they're right.

I thought Kim Pegula wanted Rex and went after him.

Rex is a con man and his personality and charisma has allowed him to fool a ton of people in his time spent in this game ..... including the Bills green owner.

This is the sentiment of we Buffalo Bills fans here in Syracuse, New York.

Record-setting season ticket sales.

Mission accomplished.

This^

Then it must have been a smart move because I have it on good authority that anyone who would question the keen football acumen of Kim Pegula is clearly a misogynist.

It's how championship teams are built.