EJ Maneul stinks out loud.

ScrewyLouie

EJ will throw a two yard pass when he needs 11. He is exasperating to watch. At least, Tyrod plays with HEART, and he makes things happen.

EJ plays with heart too I don't think it is a fair knock on him to suggest he doesn't. He doesn't posses Tyrod esque skills with his legs, doesn't seem to have developed enough in terms of reading defenses and still has a propensity to make inaccurate throws... but the play to Watkins at the end of the first half last week showed plenty of heart and a guy trying to make things happen.

There are many knocks on EJ his heart I do not think is one of them.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look for A LOT of 22 this weekend with Felton in the backfield with Shady and Gragg/Mulligan in with Clay to block/run routes with Hogan/Woods.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of two back, three TE either.

hopefully Roman doesn't get cute, and come out throwing, in anticipation of 9 in the box.. let them stop what you've just described before adjusting.

from what i read about him - since the hire - i figured Roman would come to the park with multiple levels to his gameplan.. i haven't always seen that, but if he's 'as advertised' , this is the week to show it

EJ plays with heart too I don't think it is a fair knock on him to suggest he doesn't. He doesn't posses Tyrod esque skills with his legs, doesn't seem to have developed enough in terms of reading defenses and still has a propensity to make inaccurate throws... but the play to Watkins at the end of the first half last week showed plenty of heart and a guy trying to make things happen.

There are many knocks on EJ his heart I do not think is one of them.

I do prefer Tyrod, and I think -- health permitting -- Tyrod has a chance to stick as a starter in the NFL. Manuel, no. But they are a whole lot closer in ability and performance than most of us care to admit.

hopefully Roman doesn't get cute, and come out throwing, in anticipation of 9 in the box.. let them stop what you've just described before adjusting.

from what i read about him - since the hire - i figured Roman would come to the park with multiple levels to his gameplan.. i haven't always seen that, but if he's 'as advertised' , this is the week to show it

It's not "cute", it's the right thing to do. I think that Manuel will have a huge day because Roman will want to get EJ and that passing game going at full speed knowing 100% the Jaguars will be stacking the box.

McCoy is still nursing an injury and EJ, Woods, Hogan, Gragg, Clay should be plenty enough to throw a lot of points on the board against this team and having short fields due to the defenses going nuts and getting about 4 or 5 turnovers which is what I'm expecting.

Way too much hand wringing over this game and EJ in particular (am I the only one who thinks this?). I think EJ will play so well it will put some pressure on Taylor's starting performances going forward.

It's not "cute", it's the right thing to do. I think that Manuel will have a huge day because Roman will want to get EJ and that passing game going at full speed knowing 100% the Jaguars will be stacking the box.

McCoy is still nursing an injury and EJ, Woods, Hogan, Gragg, Clay should be plenty enough to throw a lot of points on the board against this team and having short fields due to the defenses going nuts and getting about 4 or 5 turnovers which is what I'm expecting.

Way too much hand wringing over this game and EJ in particular (am I the only one who thinks this?). I think EJ will play so well it will put some pressure on Taylor's starting performances going forward.

my 'hand wringing' days over the Bills are long gone, but i'd love to see them turn things around.

from a pragmatic pov, i certainly hope Roman isn't planning on having "short fields" due to "4 or 5 turnovers".. i'd expect him to be ready to capitalize on that, but i'm thinking with limited personnel, he'll begin the game conservatively for his back-up QB. as far as EJ putting pressure on Tyrod.. that ship sailed when the pre-season ended.. but setting the competitive bar high at any position is always a good thing

Indeed. Buddy's error was not reaching on EJ in 2013... they had backed themselves into the corner by then and had to take someone. I still maintain he is the best of that class even though Glennon gets some love around here... and was the right one to take a shot on.

His error was putting so much faith in Fitz that they didn't take some shots in the years that preceded 2013... when a Wilson, a Kap (looking worse than EJ right now) or a Dalton was around in the 2nd or 3rd.

Dalton would already have been run outta town here.

You are correct though. When you are cornered int drafting for need, you can end up hosing yourself. Still, they took the best shot they had at the time... Hopefully one of these times they get it right.

my 'hand wringing' days over the Bills are long gone, but i'd love to see them turn things around.

from a pragmatic pov, i certainly hope Roman isn't planning on having "short fields" due to "4 or 5 turnovers".. i'd expect him to be ready to capitalize on that, but i'm thinking with limited personnel, he'll begin the game conservatively for his back-up QB. as far as EJ putting pressure on Tyrod.. that ship sailed when the pre-season ended.. but setting the competitive bar high at any position is always a good thing

Tyrod is the undisputed starter, but if EJ scores 3-4 TDs and looks comfortable doing it then Taylor will have pressure to keep playing well. Nothing deep, it just "is what it is" as they say. I'm actually cool with having Taylor as starter and EJ as the backup for the long term. I think we might be good at QB for the next four or five years.

Tyrod is the undisputed starter, but if EJ scores 3-4 TDs and looks comfortable doing it then Taylor will have pressure to keep playing well. Nothing deep, it just "is what it is" as they say. I'm actually cool with having Taylor as starter and EJ as the backup for the long term. I think we might be good at QB for the next four or five years.

I don't think you'll have to worry.

I do prefer Tyrod, and I think -- health permitting -- Tyrod has a chance to stick as a starter in the NFL. Manuel, no. But they are a whole lot closer in ability and performance than most of us care to admit.

Yup- Tyrod seems more accurate and is more mobile, EJ is bigger and probably gets a better view of the field. Tyrod v Giants was nearly a carbon copy of EJ v bengals. Neither of these guys has established themselves as a solid NFL starter and while Tyrod looks marginally better it's delusional to think he'd have fared any differently in that cinci game with the injuries and poor defensive showing.

The simple fact is this defense and ground game were supposed to be good enough for a back up to come in, lead 3 TD drives, complete 66% and get the win... If you want to point fingers, start there.

Again with this? EJ has scored 3 TD's once in his 15 starts (2 Pass, 1 Rush). Can we please just hope his play is competent with all of our missing pieces and skip the what if nonsense?

I agree. I really don't see a dimes worth of difference between the two. Sure, Tryrod's got the running thing, but in effectiveness they are about even IMHO. Compare their days vs NYG and the Bungles as a case in point.

Dalton would already have been run outta town here.

Totally agree with this too. No way the Bills let a guy suck for 2 or 3 years and hang with him and give him a HUGE extension. Same goes for Russell Wilson. Coach Gailey would have tried to shoehorn him into doing what Fitz did and I don't think he would have been nearly as effective as he is Seattle. Plus he wouldn't have had a monster D to keep him in games.

The simple fact is this defense and ground game were supposed to be good enough for a back up to come in, lead 3 TD drives, complete 66% and get the win... If you want to point fingers, start there.

we have to get our right side of the line healthy.. we could absorb the loss of either Miller or Henederson with Urbik and Kujo, but both at the same time?

i still think Roman will try to get our run game going, in order to enable EJ's play-action passes.. so, like Big Cat - i expect big formations first.. then maybe spreading out

Two things that get said a lot that I don't understand are 1. We had to take a 1st rd QB 2013, and 2. EJ was clearly the best QB in that class.

1. If the guy's not there you don't reach just to say you drafted one high. Plenty of comparable prospects were available in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

2. It may be your opinion that EJ was the best of the bunch, but there's hardly an objectively quantifiable case for it.

I agree. I really don't see a dimes worth of difference between the two. Sure, Tryrod's got the running thing, but in effectiveness they are about even IMHO. Compare their days vs NYG and the Bungles as a case in point.

Totally agree with this too. No way the Bills let a guy suck for 2 or 3 years and hang with him and give him a HUGE extension. Same goes for Russell Wilson. Coach Gailey would have tried to shoehorn him into doing what Fitz did and I don't think he would have been nearly as effective as he is Seattle. Plus he wouldn't have had a monster D to keep him in games.

Dalton sucked for two to three years? Do you actually know what you're talking about?

What if 2 of the 4 TDs get called back on penalties like last week?

Anyone know if Easley is in or out for the game? It's looking grim on the receiver front if he can't play.

BTW, for the OP and those who agree with him, I have a question: do you ever watch other NFL teams, with a critical eye? Because there are an awful lot of QBs who are on the same level as EJ, over and under throwing receivers, missing open guys, making the wrong adjustments, tossing INTs. Right off the top of my head, I think of both Mannings, Cutler, Stafford, Smith, Rivers, Brees, Fitz, Kaep, Bradford, Vick. About the only QB who is totally consistent this year is Brady. So is it possible the "EJ sucks" thing either comes from personal animosity or else from a lack of knowledge about how the general field of QBs is playing?

Maybe we have a penalty problem, not a QB problem?

Right now, without Tyrod, we have both

Anyone know if Easley is in or out for the game? It's looking grim on the receiver front if he can't play.

BTW, for the OP and those who agree with him, I have a question: do you ever watch other NFL teams, with a critical eye? Because there are an awful lot of QBs who are on the same level as EJ, over and under throwing receivers, missing open guys, making the wrong adjustments, tossing INTs. Right off the top of my head, I think of both Mannings, Cutler, Stafford, Smith, Rivers, Brees, Fitz, Kaep, Bradford, Vick. About the only QB who is totally consistent this year is Brady. So is it possible the "EJ sucks" thing either comes from personal animosity or else from a lack of knowledge about how the general field of QBs is playing?

He's in, but I wouldn't expect much. He is, however, a good blocker.