EJ Maneul stinks out loud.

ScrewyLouie

Never been an EJ fan, but he's our backup. He played like backup. He played very poorly in the FIRST half. He made some good plays that helped us get back in the game after his early debacles. We've seen Romo try to hand us a game on MNF in the first half, we've seen Brady throwing picks in the first half at the Ralph in the past. However, they came back and won. That's all that counts. I'm not crazy and comparing Manuel to Romo and Brady, I'm just saying that terrible first halves can happen. It's how you respond that counts. I think EJ responded to it well. I know he put us in a hole but he helped drag us out of it, and we were in the lead late. EJ didn't play well, but we could have won. If we did all would have been forgiven. A lot of things made us lose. Bortles TD pass late against our supposed dominant D, the refs bogus PI call, O Line playing terrible, no run game, Roman's play calling etc. I would say its all EJ's fault if he didn't make plays after putting us in a hole. However he did, therfore he's not the sole reason for this loss.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I'm not even that down on Manuel right now. He's who I thought he was: a guy who struggles with consistency. Yes, he played an atrocious second half, and his final drive was sorry, but he played pretty well for most of the second half. He's a mediocre NFL QB.

The real problem is Whaley for trying to wish him into being something he isn't. If he were a developmental mid-rounder backing up a reliable pocket passer he'd be fine. But it's clear that far too much has been invested in him and we have relied far too heavily on him long after it became obvious to all but the most dedicated fanboy (and Whaley) that his ceiling was limited and his likelihood of hitting it scarce.

We saw today why two consecutive coaching staffs have gone in a different direction despite limited alternatives. Yet Whaley can't let it go. That's why the Cassel trade is so telling - It's less about the the prowess of Cassel and more about the continued willingness to bet the team's success on Manuel. The fact that it was against the wishes of the coaching staff compounds the problem.

This

(I think you meant first half)

Minutes after the Houston game ended last year (it may even have been during the 4th Q) I posted that EJ was going to be benched - and I was right.

Minutes after today's game ended (and possibly during), I posted that EJ's career is over. I'm going to be right again.

It's a shame because you never like to see someone's dreams die. But stick a fork in EJ's dreams of playing professional football. His career is DONE.

EJ will only be a back up. Look around the league. There are plenty of QBs on rosters that are no better that EJ. His stats are not bad (52 for 84 561 yards 3 TD 3 INT 14 runs 60 yards 1 TD) but he looks very uncomfortable in the pocket. The guy just does not look confident and his accuracy is alarming. The annual QB search will continue. Bills need to get more durable players and up grade the Offensive line.

Game is too fast for him. One thing to be calm and cool. Another thing to be a deer in headlights. Not sure you can do anything to improve that. So many bad QB's in NFL though that he probably hangs around league as backup for at least another 5 years.

Could be. Even JP technically played from 2004-2011.