EJ Maneul stinks out loud.

ScrewyLouie

Now, EJ wasn't taken 5th overall, but he is a QB, so the situations kinda balance out a little. People who really don't know any better are going to expect him to be good no matter what.

Yep, people who know no better expect him to be good immediately and when he's not a superstar their disappointment turns into "HE SUCKS OUT LOUD!"

Those same people are incapable of seeing nuance in an argument. I haven't seen anybody who has much of a clue saying he's great or will be great. They're saying be fair to the kid and let him grow. If he fails then he fails but this non-stop bashing of a QB who isn't nearly as bad as people make him is ludicrous. He's been pretty...meh. I just don't see it as a ceiling. If he can't get his footwork down then yeah, it will be though.

I also didn't see his last game as a one game audition for his entire career. It doesn't work that way, even if he had played lights out.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This never ending EJ sucks stuff is very entertaining. Bravo people.

The Bills should have traded him for Cousins.

Or Bradford who looked mahhvelous the other day vs the Giants. Who was the other guy mentioned in trade talks Nick Foles? How's he doing.

I'll take EJ over any of those 3 as a backup.

Edited by NOVABillsFan

You don't understand... it's EJ! :wub:

When I was a kid, the Bills drafted Al Cowlings in the 1st round, 1970. He could do no wrong in my eyes; they picked him 5th overall, so he had to be damn good. They ended up trading him for a draft pick after a couple years, and I was like WTF? :thumbdown:

Now, EJ wasn't taken 5th overall, but he is a QB, so the situations kinda balance out a little. People who really don't know any better are going to expect him to be good no matter what.

Nice point! IMO Buddy Nix and company is where the fingers should be pointed at here. he said something to the effect. " I won't leave until I have our future QB in place" So he drafts at #16 a huge reach. never even disputed. A kid that was no #16 pick by any stretch. Eff the "we got a extra pick on a trade down".

The fact is for decades the Bills have been clueless on identifying QB's. Maybe Tyrod ends this fail. But it's not EJ's fault Nix and company drafted him way before his value was. No amount of riding the pine with a clipboard will ever change the fact, that he cannot read a defense and is wildly inaccurate. Some FSU fans called him " the weakest link" on that team.

it's not EJ's fault that the Bills couldn't figure it out in a year when there was zero franchise QB prospects. they pick one of them at 16.

In all fairness, Buddy Nix was caught on tape saying "need a QB this year...bad year to need a QB" or something to that effect when he thought he was talking to an opposing GM or something, so I think even he knew that there were no slam dunks in that year's draft. (see below). In hindsight, maybe it would have been smarter to wait, but I think Buddy knew he was trying to get out so wanted to take a flyer on someone he thought could be the guy. Turns out he was wrong, and maybe the kid will improve, but its gonna take a while and his ceiling drops with every mediocre start.

2013 Drafted QBs

NAME POS SCHOOL ROUND PK(OVR) TEAM EJ Manuel QB Florida State 1 16(16) Buffalo Geno Smith QB West Virginia 2 7(39) NY Jets Mike Glennon QB North Carolina State 3 11(73) Tampa Bay Matt Barkley QB USC 4 1(98) Philadelphia Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse 4 13(110) NY Giants Tyler Wilson QB Arkansas 4 15(112) Oakland Landry Jones QB Oklahoma 4 18(115) Pittsburgh Brad Sorensen QB Southern Utah 7 15(221) San Diego Zac Dysert QB Miami (OH) 7 28(234) Denver B.J. Daniels QB South Florida 7 31(237) San Francisco Sean Renfree QB Duke 7 43(249) Atlanta

Edited by BillsBackersChicago

In all fairness, Buddy Nix was caught on tape saying "need a QB this year...bad year to need a QB" or something to that effect when he thought he was talking to an opposing GM or something, so I think even he knew that there were no slam dunks in that year's draft. (see below). In hindsight, maybe it would have been smarter to wait, but I think Buddy knew he was trying to get out so wanted to take a flyer on someone he thought could be the guy. Turns out he was wrong, and maybe the kid will improve, but its gonna take a while and his ceiling drops with every mediocre start.

2013 Drafted QBs

NAME POS SCHOOL ROUND PK(OVR) TEAM EJ Manuel QB Florida State 1 16(16) Buffalo Geno Smith QB West Virginia 2 7(39) NY Jets Mike Glennon QB North Carolina State 3 11(73) Tampa Bay Matt Barkley QB USC 4 1(98) Philadelphia Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse 4 13(110) NY Giants Tyler Wilson QB Arkansas 4 15(112) Oakland Landry Jones QB Oklahoma 4 18(115) Pittsburgh Brad Sorensen QB Southern Utah 7 15(221) San Diego Zac Dysert QB Miami (OH) 7 28(234) Denver B.J. Daniels QB South Florida 7 31(237) San Francisco Sean Renfree QB Duke 7 43(249) Atlanta

Agreed^

People forget that the Bills were handcuffed to taking a qb in 2013 draft. EJ will be a career back up. It boggles my mind that Bills fans who have watched Tyrod and EJ can come to the conclusion that EJ should be the starter... Everyone's point to the one bad passing game that Tyrod had, go back and look at some of the drops and 'slips' that cost the offense some first downs. They never got into rythm vs Ten, some was on TT, a lot on the rest of the Offense, but my god it's embarrassing hearing Bills fans think that EJ should start over TT!

Indeed. Buddy's error was not reaching on EJ in 2013... they had backed themselves into the corner by then and had to take someone. I still maintain he is the best of that class even though Glennon gets some love around here... and was the right one to take a shot on.

His error was putting so much faith in Fitz that they didn't take some shots in the years that preceded 2013... when a Wilson, a Kap (looking worse than EJ right now) or a Dalton was around in the 2nd or 3rd.

Indeed. Buddy's error was not reaching on EJ in 2013... they had backed themselves into the corner by then and had to take someone. I still maintain he is the best of that class even though Glennon gets some love around here... and was the right one to take a shot on.

His error was putting so much faith in Fitz that they didn't take some shots in the years that preceded 2013... when a Wilson, a Kap (looking worse than EJ right now) or a Dalton was around in the 2nd or 3rd.

Right...the 4 guys that come to mind from 2011 and 2012 are Dalton, Kaep, Wilson, and Foles.

Must win game for Ej. If you can't beat the jags then there is no use for you.

Not to make excuses, but given the decimation of our offense and a right side OL tandem with no reps together to speak of, I wouldn't feel any more confident in TT or anyone else at QB. EJ needs to play a perfect game just to give us a chance. I don't know if that's feasible.

This game has a final score of 9-6 written all over it. The folks at Yahoo are gonna be thrilled at what they got for $20m or whatever it was they paid for the streaming rights.

Gonna be fugly.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Not to make excuses, but given the decimation of our offense and a right side OL tandem with no reps together to speak of, I wouldn't feel any more confident in TT or anyone else at QB. EJ needs to play a perfect game just to give us a chance. I don't know if that's feasible.

This game has a final score of 9-6 written all over it. The folks at Yahoo are gonna be thrilled at what they got for $20m or whatever it was the unpaid for the streaming rights.

Gonna be fugly.

GO BILLS!!!

Yep...just don't see how we put an offense together.

I'll bet we see a LOT of passes to backs.

I hate to say this, but we actually need a really solid performance from Chris Hogan, since he's the WR that's most likely going to get 1-on-1 match-ups.

Betcha EJ produces more this week. He is a learner, he learns from his mistakes. Give him another game under pre-season like fan conditions and a bottom half defense. I like his chances to be good this week.

So EJ has already learned how to avoid bad regressing to habits with footwork that cause his throws to often be off?

Yep...just don't see how we put an offense together.

I'll bet we see a LOT of passes to backs.

I hate to say this, but we actually need a really solid performance from Chris Hogan, since he's the WR that's most likely going to get 1-on-1 match-ups.

This game has a final score of 9-6 written all over it. The folks at Yahoo are gonna be thrilled at what they got for $20m or whatever it was they paid for the streaming rights.

Gonna be fugly.

GO BILLS!!!

Big day for Clay and Gragg. Or else.

From what I heard on the radio this AM & the 2016 draft - the QB prospects are not very intriguing.

If you need a QB to draft this off season isn't one where you will land a medium to big name guy.

Just a thought. Can we agree to wait until after the game to trash the backup QB?

2013 Drafted QBs

EJ's basically set up to fail this week, so if he does anything remotely positive, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

just curious.. who's backing up EJ?

edit - not knocking EJ - hope he nails it.. but i'm thinking in terms of the Jags D honoring the threat of a read option, and whether Roman would feel comfortable calling it

Josh Johnson

I don't see anyone saying that, anywhere.

I personally think that Tyrod has made things happen that EJ, in his 15 starts, hasn't done. For example: EJ underthrew the ball on his INT to Hogan against Cinci--it was the same pass that Taylor hit against Tennessee to set up the game-winning TD. That's just a microcosm of the difference between the two IMO.

I also saw Tyrod rally the team to victory on the road when they needed him to against Tennessee. I realize that EJ was facing an uphill battle, and he played okay at times. He doesn't, to me, look like he can play at a level where he can win a game with his arm or legs like Tyrod did against Tennessee.

That, IMO, is the biggest difference.

EJ will throw a two yard pass when he needs 11. He is exasperating to watch. At least, Tyrod plays with HEART, and he makes things happen.

i hear ya..

Josh Johnson, eh? i'm thinking we try to keep EJ's uni clean.. :thumbsup:

look for A LOT of 22 this weekend with Felton in the backfield with Shady and Gragg/Mulligan in with Clay to block/run routes with Hogan/Woods.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of two back, three TE either.