Watkins: "I need 10 targets... You're making me look bad."

johnwalter

I think trying to say this is just because of 2 games is misleading. He has a way better idea of whats going on than you do, and he knows what the coaches plan fo him, and why the QB isn't getting him the ball.

He is in the film room watching with other players (who have responded to this by saying "get him the ball").

What he is simply saying ..

wait for it

because its quite true.

Tyrod cant see the field yet. We all know it.

But is it his height?

Because he is smart kid for sure. Where are the timing plays?

Maybe the NFL is about QBs who can see above the O and D lines.

Think Roman moves the pocket just for the sake of protections ?

he is trying to create passing lanes. That is a major study in discipline and execution. Bills are struggling to give TT that consistent line of sight. The kid can throw for sure !!

But i have mostly thought he does not see the guys running the routes. for more than one reason.

Start EJM and see if it makes a difference

Til he pukes dammit!

or gets Winded!

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wait for it

because its quite true.

But is it his height?

he is trying to create passing lanes. That is a major study in discipline and execution. Bills are struggling to give TT that consistent line of sight. The kid can throw for sure !!

But i have mostly thought he does not see the guys running the routes. for more than one reason.

or gets Winded!

Then whose turn?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

wait for it

because its quite true.

But is it his height?

or gets Winded!

He certainly seems excited to have EJM start....

The thing is, if Tyrod is missing him, the OC should be coming up with ways to get Watkins the ball, even if it has to be a handoff.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I think trying to say this is just because of 2 games is misguided. He has a way better idea of whats going on than you do, and he knows what the coaches plan for him, and why the QB isn't getting him the ball.

He is in the film room watching with other players (who have responded to this by saying "get him the ball").

Why didn't he make any mention of this in the off season? Maybe I missed it. He had a good rookie season. No complaints by me and none by him. This year, he gets a zero target game (where he said "I'm happy I contributed and the team won") then a good Pats game, then injured halfway through the Fins game. So there you have it - this season hasn't started out as good as he hoped. Neither did OBJ's last year when he was injured but he made the most of it. Go play ball Sammy. Your time is now.

I don't like how he communicated it to the media, but I understand his frustration as I have seen him wide open at times. EJ has four inches on TT, so he may be able to see the field better and if they play him in the Gun as they did as a rookie, he may really show what he can do. I hope so, not just for winning or Watkins, but also for EJ. I've been critical of EJ, but I want to see has he really improved or is it just a bunch of hoopla.

I don't like how he communicated it to the media, but I understand his frustration as I have seen him wide open at times. EJ has four inches on TT, so he may be able to see the field better and if they play him in the Gun as they did as a rookie, he may really show what he can do. I hope so, not just for winning or Watkins, but also for EJ. I've been critical of EJ, but I want to see has he really improved or is it just a bunch of hoopla.

I think its worth a shot. putting EJM in with Sammy. They do have a rapport it seems.

another thought i have is that Tyrod has really struggled the last two games in the first half. Last week he appeared a bit lost. I am fine with aligning that with injury, but boy he just looks like he needs a break mentally

Kid is as competitive as hell and i love him as Bill . Think might be a keeper.

But lets let Manuel have shot to keep us in the game

Well it is hard to win in the NFL, but where else would you rather be?

I am a Bills Fan. I breathe it. Bills went to toronto i would not be watching football.

Pegula made the Bills fun again!!

to answer your question, i am exactly where i want to be. only took 54 years

I think its worth a shot. putting EJM in with Sammy. They do have a rapport it seems.

another thought i have is that Tyrod has really struggled the last two games in the first half. Last week he appeared a bit lost. I am fine with aligning that with injury, but boy he just looks like he needs a break mentally

Kid is as competitive as hell and i love him as Bill . Think might be a keeper.

But lets let Manuel have shot to keep us in the game

I am a Bills Fan. I breathe it. Bills went to toronto i would not be watching football.

Pegula made the Bills fun again!!

to answer your question, i am exactly where i want to be. only took 54 years

Love it. Never confuse efforts with results.

He certainly seems excited to have EJM start....

The thing is, if Tyrod is missing him, the OC should be coming up with ways to get Watkins the ball, even if it has to be a handoff.

where is that short quick stuff we all hoped for. YAC and such. Playmakers a plenty! because the O line has struggled i dont think the Book Of Roman is opened past the second chapter. You are of course correct about getting the ball to these guys.

Why didn't he make any mention of this in the off season? Maybe I missed it. He had a good rookie season. No complaints by me and none by him. This year, he gets a zero target game (where he said "I'm happy I contributed and the team won") then a good Pats game, then injured halfway through the Fins game. So there you have it - this season hasn't started out as good as he hoped. Neither did OBJ's last year when he was injured but he made the most of it. Go play ball Sammy. Your time is now.

The only games this year where he wasn't targeted were the 2 he sat out. He was only targeted 3 times vs Indy, but he was targeted. And he was targeted twice in Miami, but he only played 12 snaps that game.

The only games this year where he wasn't targeted were the 2 he sat out. He was only targeted 3 times vs Indy, but he was targeted. And he was targeted twice in Miami, but he only played 12 snaps that game.

Right. Just trying to point out this isn't a six or seven game stretch of no passes. Two games does not set the stage for the type of public criticism he lodged against the team ("you're making me look bad").

Really basic idea: listen to the defensive players. If the most elite front seven guy (Mario Williams) and the best secondary guy (Gilmore) both say that he's one of the best guys they've faced in recent years, listen to them. Get him the damn ball.

@ChrisTrapasso

FWIW, EJ Manuel targeted Sammy Watkins 32x in the four games the two played together in 2014.... including 28 targets from Weeks 2-4.

To be fair, Manuel wasn't able to hit the broad side of a barn in deeper throws in those games. He was way off target on most of those throws.

Edited by dave mcbride

Last year many on this board liked to claim that the WRs mutinied on Manuel despite the fact that there was little evidence of this other than some body language on the field.

Given that, does both Woods and Watkins saying they are open but being missed constitute a mutiney on TT? It's more evidence than was around last year yet I dont see these same people claiming it now.

And no, I dont believe it now just like I didnt last year Im just wondering about the lack of consistency of these opinions.

Really basic idea: listen to the defensive players. If the most elite front seven guy (Mario Williams) and the best secondary guy (Gilmore) both say that he's one of the best guys they've faced in recent years, listen to them. Get him the damn ball.

To be fair, Manuel wasn't able to hit the broad side of a barn in deeper throws in those games. He was way off target on most of those throws.

To be fair Sammy should have caught the beautifully thrown bomb from Manuel in the week 2 Miami game. But Sammy relaxed and allowed Grimes to break up the pass. In the 1st two games Manuel was fine. In games 3 and 4 not so good, but the interior line play didn't do him any favors.