NFL TV Announce Crews....why so bad?

Synch up with murph and kelso on the radio. Just get an hd antenna and you'll be good to go (satellite tv is delayed a bit so you cant synch live radio)

Theyre bills biased, know the team personnel in depth, and always tell you what the penalty is way before the tv dolts do.

I still love tasker. I know he's not the greatest analyst but hard not to like his bills biased

Tasker seems to try too hard to not support the bills. He has definitely gotten a little bit better tho. Gannon is ok. Collinsworth is by far the worst. Annoying voice and thinks he knows everything. Sucks he's the announcer on madden.

Collinsworth has always annoyed me and was an absolute weasel with his call of the Malcolm Butler Super Bowl play. Where does he get off telling everyone he cannot believe the call. Totally disrespectful and denigrating the soaring greatness of Butlers play on the ball. Can't believe the call? Teams have been passing on the 1 yard line for decades in critical situations. It was not more risky than running it. A hat on the ball would have been more likely than butler making the play. Procedure/offsides/bobbled snap the balls in the 5. Butler breaking up the pass would have been a great play. Actually snaring it was unreal. But all we heard from collinsworth was that it was a bad call by the coach.

That's what we heard because it was an awful call by the coach(es) . So that's what Collinsworth focused on. If even a backup DB recognizes the play through film study, it's an awful call. Yes, teams throw inside the five blah blah blah. Not when you have one yard to win a world championship and 3 plays to do it. Thrown in the fact that the RB is Lynch, the elusive Wilson is the QB and the team is not known as a passing juggernaut, and you have the worst giveaway of a Super Bowl ever. The faces of the Pats on the sideline after Lynch' s run to the one told the story. They knew they were toast. Only an incredibly dumb call for a pass could realistically lose it. That's what happened and is shy CC couldn't believe just how dumb it was. I totally understood what he was saying because it was exactly what I was thinking. A throw, especially in the crowded middle of the field , was about the highest chance of something going wrong.

The announcers have earphones on so they can hear the director/producer. How do you think they know what replay is being shown? They also have spotters telling them who carried the ball, what line the ball is at and other stats. Try talking about something when someone is talking in your ear.

I know I couldn't do it at my age. My hard drive is too old with limited capacity. It's amazing they don't make more mistakes. When an announcer calls the wrong name for the ball carrier, chances are it's what he was told to say.

Like anything else, you get good with experience. You do some things on automatic and others on manual. Think of how incredibly difficult it is to drive a car, yet most of us do it without thinking.

And none of that changes my point that they only do what they're told and they only toe the company line.

Edited by musichunch

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm guessing I'm one of the few TBDers that actually has some background in broadcasting. Play by play in particular is so incredibly difficult, I just have to laugh at some of these criticisms.

I should point out I've never done play by play in my life, but have friends that do. You made a very good point that there is a constant litany of information being thrown at the announcer both in their eyes and ears that they have to selective take in, and distill cogently out of their mouths.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm guessing I'm one of the few TBDers that actually has some background in broadcasting. Play by play in particular is so incredibly difficult, I just have to laugh at some of these criticisms.

I should point out I've never done play by play in my life, but have friends that do. You made a very good point that there is a constant litany of information being thrown at the announcer both in their eyes and ears that they have to selective take in, and distill cogently out of their mouths.

I have done radio play by play on soccer. It is difficult - I think the play by play guys are relatively good by and large (except Spiro he is really, really bad) it is the colour guys I think are pretty awful and they have an easier job.

Turn off the sound. Do you really need a couple of blowhards telling you what just happened? I hope we all here understand the game well enough that we don't need them to tell us we just witnessed a gain of three. :doh: Hell I can tell what the penalty call is going to be when I listen to a game on the radio. Flips my wife out.

I wish there was a way to hear the crowd noise and shut those dummies up other than buying a game ticket.

I wish there was a way to hear the crowd noise and shut those dummies up other than buying a game ticket.

One network, ESPN I think, has experimented with no announcers in the past. Hockey for sure, not sure if anyone ever tried it with football. I remember enjoying it at the time but it must not have been very popular because it didn't seem to catch on. Probably because most fans enjoy homer bias.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I watched the BBC feed of Wimbeldon on the ESPN3 app this year. They went large segments without talking. It was flippin' GREAT!!!!

"Don't talk unless you think you can improve the silence."

Or how about we try just great commentators from other sports?

I'm only half joking here, as a number of years ago I remember telling a buddy of mine that Mary Corilla might just be one of the best commentators in sports, tennis or otherwise.

Let her take a swing at it; seriously no pun intended.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

One network, ESPN I think, has experimented with no announcers in the past. Hockey for sure, not sure if anyone ever tried it with football. I remember enjoying it at the time but it must not have been very popular because it didn't seem to catch on. Probably because most fans enjoy homer bias.

I think I remember the hockey thing. So many times I just want to yell "shut the !@#$ up!!" Wait, now that I think about it I DO yell STFU!!!

The problem is that they use former players as announcers. Most are not very smart, and just use talking points.

I would love it if they had on there football analytics nerds or former quality control coordinator/film guys. They would probably be way more insightful.

Another thought is: add one local beat writer to the broadcast booth for the home team. The local guys typically have much more knowledge of the team.